IGNORED

Hosting stops along the way

mmoffitt

Although I've been riding for many years, I haven't done many "long" trips on the bike and the ones I did do was with my dad and brother...we just stopped at rest stops and slept on the ground for the night.

Now that I've got a real touring bike, the wife and I are wanting to do more trips...Since I'm new to this site and to this kind of traveling I had an idea but not sure if it's been tried, being done currently, or just stupid...

How many would be interested (or maybe you are currently doing it) with opening your house to traveling bikers? I'm thinking of the money we could save on a 5 day trip if we had a "host family" we stayed with at each of our stops...Would also be able to meet new people and make new friends. What I was thinking was you just post your route along with days of travel, then anyone within about a 30-50 mile of each stop could volunteer their home...We could even have a list of "host families" with locations so people could plan their trips with those stops in mind...

What do you guys think? Would something like this work?

Mike,

The VR assistant list has that info in it, we have done it numerous times. I have always stated on the site that our door is always open to any and all from here. It will specifically say in members profile what they can help with, some are just local riding or towing, others offer everything.

Make a plan for a trip and see what areas your going to try and stay in and contact the local members that offer lodging. Some it might just be tent space, others like Lonna and myself will actually let you in the house :)

One of the things I plan on in the future, given that my divorce is over with and I have a four bedroom house, is to offer my home as a stopover for those traveling. I did this a couple of months ago to Slywoody and his wife Katrina, who I had only met at Asheville, and we had a ball. I do have a ways to go on getting some good bedroom suits, but it is in my plans. Most of the furniture I had is now in a storage building down in Birmingham, AL, but that's ok with me. I'm doing just fine!:big-grin-emoticon:

RandyA

Oh, and this is a PRIME riding area as I am about an hour from the Blue Ridge Parkway and great riding in about every direction.

Although I've been riding for many years, I haven't done many "long" trips on the bike and the ones I did do was with my dad and brother...we just stopped at rest stops and slept on the ground for the night.

Now that I've got a real touring bike, the wife and I are wanting to do more trips...Since I'm new to this site and to this kind of traveling I had an idea but not sure if it's been tried, being done currently, or just stupid...

How many would be interested (or maybe you are currently doing it) with opening your house to traveling bikers? I'm thinking of the money we could save on a 5 day trip if we had a "host family" we stayed with at each of our stops...Would also be able to meet new people and make new friends. What I was thinking was you just post your route along with days of travel, then anyone within about a 30-50 mile of each stop could volunteer their home...We could even have a list of "host families" with locations so people could plan their trips with those stops in mind...

I would Google Map a route you plan to take, and areas that you would be stopping at. to see if there are any members in the area.

Like My trip to Cody WY.

my agenda is to take 5 days up.

1-st Marianna Fl (539)

2-ND Middleton Tn (friends house) (429)

3-st. Joseph, MO. (570)

4th Oshkosh,NE (498)

5th Cody WY (429)

see if anyone from our site, will offer a place to lay your head.:cool10:

Yah! Just post a lot here, spend some time in chat, attend a few M&E's, and the next thing you know, you will know enough people here to spend an entire year on the road and never have to pay for a room!! They may even feed you too!!

Seriously, you will find this bunch a very friendly and giving group and many members do indeed open their homes for other members. If you are planning a trip just post your intentions here in advance and you will most likely get several offers!

Thanks for all the replies guys! I figured that was the case and that many had or would open their doors to visitors...The motorcycle travel network that Bryan posted was similar to what I had in mind...If I were more computer savvy I would build a site that had a map to the US and automatically plotted all users that offered hosting. Then you could click on a state and it would zoom in and show all the locations in that state. Then you could plan your route around your stops...

Google maps might already provide the functionality...if it allow you to plot multiple points, then we could create an account with a user name and password that all members here would have access too...then you could log in and create maps for your rides that would be accessible to everyone on this site... I know we can all do that now individually but a common account would consolidate all rides and members in one place...not sure if it would work or not...

I know where you are coming from but I try to think of it optimistically. It's kind of like camping...you leave for hike but don't take you tent and stuff with you...I've always kind of thought that GENERALLY speaking, people of like minds have a respect for each other's property...I never worry about leaving my helmet on the bike at a rally...So I think people who are on this board and like to ride would not take advantage of someone else's hospitality...not only would they be ostersized here, I just don't think they would do it...

Honestly, I would LOVE to host people on their wY through Omaha, but would be afraid of being taken advantage of or theft from strangers. Don't any of you worry about this?

I Honestly feel horrible for thinking this but you hear sooo many stories.

(embarrassed)

Nothing to be embarrassed about, buddy. You make a very valid point. I would be very uncomfortable hosting someone i have never met, in my house. Now someone you have already met and have befriended, ...thats a different story. My :2cents: worth.:sign **** happens:

Honestly, I would LOVE to host people on their wY through Omaha, but would be afraid of being taken advantage of or theft from strangers. Don't any of you worry about this?

(embarrassed)

If you can't trust a motorcycle rider who can you trust? :15_8_211[1]:

Once something like this gets into operation.....VENTURERIDER.ORG had better be ready for an army of bikers of all types wanting to join up to take advantage of this " free accomodation for a year costing 12 dollars a year" plan. :yikes: :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

I like the idea. We have had many people that we offered for them to drop in, some spent a few days and some even came back.

Never worried too much about the what if's, most of them were/are members here, that I had not met. My point is that I have greater trust for the members here than the general public.

PS our door is open, it is better to call ahead to make sure I will be here. HAHA

Brad

PS our door is open, it is better to call ahead to make sure I will be here. HAHA

Brad

Calling Brad...Calling Brad... Hey Brad....thanks for the offer, man. Am planning to be in Kitchener this weekend....want to leave the keys under the mat at the front door, if you planning to be out? Oh...my favourite brand of beer is "BLUE". I eat nothing but steak. just draw a yellow chalk line to the door of the room i am supposed to sleep in. I hate cold, so could you set the house temp at 75 F please. Hope the bed in the room is a queen size one...cause my girl friend that lives in kitchener may want to spend the night with me. Do not wake me up too early in the morn. Dont worry about making me break fast. I will make my own. Just make sure theres lots of eggs in stock. I love eggs. Oh, could you please leave me some cash by the TV to get me some gas to drive back to toronto...have maxed out my credit card, with the xmas shopping etc. Ummm...where exactly do you keep the little metal safe of yours? :whistling: The least i can do for your hospitality, is polish the safe for you. :smile5: :beer::canada:

(embarrassed)

Even if you just let someone park there trailer on your property, to sleep in a tent trailer, or a tent on the lawn.

(embarrassed)

People ask me that all the time when I tell them about our open door policy. I have a pretty good track record of being able to judge a persons integrity within about 15 minutes of meeting and talking with them. Besides, I'm 5' 11" and 280 lbs, there isn't anyone that intimidates me and the shotgun is always loaded

:hihi:

I'm with the others, by and far for the most part, folks that I have met are pretty honest and I really dont worry much. Our door will always stay open to the wayward Venturerider :thumbsup2:

(embarrassed)

No sense feeling horrible.....proud of you for being honest....on the flip side, Iowa hosts an annual RAGBRAI. It's a bicycle ride across Iowa and thousands of people from all over the world come for it. It's a 5-7 day trek with a differant route each yr.

5 yrs ago, it came through our little town of 2,000. Each "overnight host town" asks for people to allow riders to either sleep in their home or tent on their lawn.

Gary and I had 54 people stay at our house that night. 8 differant groups of riders from Texas, New York, San Fran, etc.

Gary and I had volunteered in town with food, entertainment, etc, so we just popped home every couple of hours to meet the new groups riding in and show them where their sleeping arrangements were.

They were some of the nicest people you would ever meet, and when they all left in the morning, you wouldn't have even known they were there....

The same goes for our Venture rider group...every single one we've met in person, or visited with online knows our door is always open to them.

Gut instinct is a big thing for me, and I have yet to "get that wary feeling" with anyone here!

Well I live between Bloomington, IL and Peoria, IL right of I-74 and if anyone is traveling through this area and needs a place to crash, shower and put the bike away in a secured garage for the night they are welcome here. Only catch is I must ride with you for a ways when you leave. I have a big fridge full of food and another out in the garage full of cold ones. Also have 4 bedrooms and 3 couches So bring it on :thumbsup2:

Glad to see there are many out there still willing to open their doors...I grew up in the country and we never locked our doors...a few years after I moved out, dad got hit a couple of times by thieves...I'm sure they were teenagers that knew no one locked their doors in that area, but was still a sad time...I just wish no one had to worry about those that are dishonest out there!

I would be happy to host anyone driving through Colorado Springs that needs a place to lay their heads...I've updated my VR Assistance to reflect just that...Thanks to EVERYONE for the HONEST feedback to me on this...

Mike