IGNORED

Winter Riding Gloves

Hotrod

What kind of gloves does every one use to keep your hands warm, but most importantly,keep your hands dry in a torrential down pour? I rode in a hard rain with a pair of leather gloves with Thinsulate and my hands were soaked and cold. There has got to be something better out there. I would like to hear some reviews and opinions before I buy another pair that doesn't do their job.

Ive found using those disposable plastic gloves like the restaurants use while preparing your food work great as a glove/mitt liner to keep you dry, and if your skin is dry, youre usually warmer. For years ive also used just regular grocery bags on my sock feet before putting on my boots and it seems to work for me when going out to ride on a damp, cold day.

Brian

These look interesting, used something similar for snowmobiling and they worked great. Wondering how they would work on a bike???

http://www.hippohands.com/?gclid=CIW8u4KRpKUCFQTNKgodwiZRvg

...they work great. I've had a set for over 20 years and they do a great job. I've never had a full coverage fairing until I bought my VR a few weeks ago and the Hippo hands have done a great job on my unfaired bikes. I've even taped some of those "hot packs" sold at outdoors stores to my grips on other bikes and with the Hippo's stopping the breeze, my hands stayed warm and dry. I've never used them for an extended rain ride so I'm not sure if they would repel water for a long time. The owner of the company belongs to my vintage motorcycle club and I've been checking to see if he'll be coming out with some to fit my Triumph Sprint. My old ones were a "universal fit" and they're getting pretty beat up by now (Hmmm...now why is that, I wonder?).

I carry a pair of mid weight rubber gloves I got from Home Depot. Imagine a pair of cotton gloves dipped in rubber. Full water protection and not too bad when its cold. Get the biggest pair and they fit over my light weight leather gloves..... works for me until it really gets cold then Im into my winter set.

I've tried several gloves but none worked. I was at Lowe's and saw a pair of rubber gloves that have some kind of ruff material where you grab something that keeps your hands from slipping off the grips. They were $3.95. There is one problem. In the summer your hands will burn up because no air can get in.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hotrod viewpost.gif

What kind of gloves does every one use to keep your hands warm, but most importantly,keep your hands dry in a torrential down pour?

This is how I keep my hands warm and dry when its cold and raining...:banana::canada:

HAHAHhahahaha!!!:doh:

Seriously though, I chose Gerbings heated gloves. Best move I've ever made. Ever.

I just plug my Gerbing heated leather gloves into the pigtail connected to the batt, and off I go. If it's really frigid out, I also have a heated vest that plugs in series with the gloves, and that keeps my body core very toasty. To keep the gloves dry if it's raining out, I slip on the waterproof covers that came with the gloves. They have an elastic opening that keeps them snugly secure on the gloves so water can't leach up into them. I flip the on/off switch when needed if it gets too warm, but I also have an adjustable dial thermostat that the wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago, but guess who gets to use that for HER heated gloves?? :whistling:

Women! :hurts:

I have two pair of Tourmaster gloves, both say they are waterproof, and both ARE waterproof. One pair is long and has insulation for cold weather wear, the other pair is shorter and I use them for summer/warmer weather.

In Florida, you should not need heated gloves, but if you really are riding in cold weather, say below 40 degrees for any length of time, consider heated gloves, or heated grips.

I have tried a couple types of battery powered gloves or liners, and they do NOT work for me. GEt the type that plug in with a controller. Gerbings is the tops, but there are other good brands. I have these and like them, they are not the cheapest, but aren't the most expensive. http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/147_Apparel_Featured_Wingstuff_Apparel/20164_Synergy_Heated_Electric_Motorcycle_Gloves/

Here is a link to the summer waterproof gloves that I like, field tested in heavy rain!

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=284&cat=9

and here is the winter glove that I like, but again, it won't keep you warm in really cold weather, but it should suffice for most anything in Florida except those rare freezing days way up north!

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=107&cat=9

I hope this helps. It pays to buy decent products, but of course there are other brands that are just as good, but I find Tourmaster makes top of the line products that are worth the money.

Well muffinman got a pair of these gloves and they seem to keep his hands nice and warm. Temps were in the low 30's every morning this past weekend. So today I went and ordered a pair for myself. Since they are for wearing in the snow I'd imagine they should be pretty waterproof. I'll let ya know on that part if he wears them when it rains.

http://www.shopmarshalldealers.com/productdetail.htm?productId=10444276&browse=257050&shopBy=13975&catalogid=2041

Margaret

+1 on Gerbings too. I've had my pair for about 4 years now and it serves me well every winter. I'm not so sure about keeping you dry since I do not ride on a cold wet rain. Gerbings does have a lifetime warranty on the heating elements.

Hotrod:

As I'm just east of you, I know the feeling of wanting winter gloves..Next ride (cold or wet) I've got some winter gloves from Cabelas that will be under test...They say insulated and waterproof..(we'll see)..Know after last winter when it was 19 here for several days I needed help...Rubber kitchen gloves will keep your hands dry (don't get pink) but I'm here to tell you, they are cold!..These don't work I guess I'll get off the wallet and buy heated ones

Best bike gloves I ever owned were given to me by a friend. No Idea what kind they were.

They were a leather gauntlet type.(if that is what it is called...it had the long forearm part of the glove)

On the back of the wrist area was a zipper that allowed a plastic mitten to come out of a pouch.

you had to take the glove off to get it into the mitten but it provided extra protection in sever cold and rain proofing.

Then when not needed, you just stuffed the plastic mitten back into the pouch on the back of the wrist and zipped it up.

Hotrod:

As I'm just east of you, I know the feeling of wanting winter gloves..Next ride (cold or wet) I've got some winter gloves from Cabelas that will be under test...They say insulated and waterproof..(we'll see)..Know after last winter when it was 19 here for several days I needed help...Rubber kitchen gloves will keep your hands dry (don't get pink) but I'm here to tell you, they are cold!..These don't work I guess I'll get off the wallet and buy heated ones

Gloves in 19 temps ? .....try out in -25c or so:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Brian

I am going to pitch the company I work for, W. L. Gore & Associates. I actually make the glove inserts that go into gore-tex gloves. They are guaranteed to keep you dry!! Gore also has a wind stopper glove. The wind stopper gloves are good to break the wind/cold. There are companies that make gore-tex motorcycle gloves, but I just wear my gauntlet hunting gloves.

Check out the following links:

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/fabric-technology-gloves

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/clothing-mens-casual-clothing-mens-casual-gloves-mens-shooting-gloves/_/N-1102407/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104001480

:thumbsup2:

Best bike gloves I ever owned were given to me by a friend. No Idea what kind they were.

They were a leather gauntlet type.(if that is what it is called...it had the long forearm part of the glove)

On the back of the wrist area was a zipper that allowed a plastic mitten to come out of a pouch.

you had to take the glove off to get it into the mitten but it provided extra protection in sever cold and rain proofing.

Then when not needed, you just stuffed the plastic mitten back into the pouch on the back of the wrist and zipped it up.

Same here for me. I've had 'em for years, can't remember who made them, no tag on the inside except for size. High quality leather, very warm, long cuffs (gauntlets?) keep wind out of jacket sleeves. The mittens seem to be more of a nylon than plastic, but they do keep the glove dry. I'll search a while to see if I can find new ones anywhere.