IGNORED

I need advice.

BigBMattie

Hello, I need some advice, I am selling my 1985 Yamaha VR 1200, I am asking $3000 firm. A person emiled me and wants to ship my bike to Sounth America but to do this he has sent me $3960.00 via paypal. This $3960 is on a hold till I make a $960.00 payment through westerin union to the shipping company with my OWN MONEY.

Do you think this is scetchy?

From the guys trying to buy my bike:

"Before i make the payment,there is something i need you to be aware of,i just received an email from the shipping company that will be in charge of the pick up.They are saying i need to pay them their fees which is $900 before they proceed with coming for it and the only form of payment that they accept is Western Union Money Transfer.Where i am,the nearest union office is 8hrs where i am overseas,I dont know if it will be ok,if i include this agent's fees in the payment i will be sending you now,so on receipt of the total funds,you will remove the additional funds of $900 and help me send it at your local Western Union office.Let me know if this is ok and i will proceed with the payment."

shortly after this email, I didn't even get back to him yet and he already put the $3960 into my paypal. I feel he is sort of pushing me into the situation where I have to make the $960 payment(with my own Money) to a shipping company that I do not know and the shipping company picks up on Sundays?. I do not not how W.U. works but i know how paypal works and i know with few clicks of a mouse that $3000 could be back in there bank.

Any input will be greatly appreciated,

Brendan

SCAM.

he has sent me $3960.00 via paypal. This $3960 is on a hold till I make a $960.00 payment through westerin union to the shipping company with my OWN MONEY.

I never heard of a PayPal payment being on "hold". You might ask them about that, but it's still a scam.

this is an email i got from paypal

"You have received a PayPal Payment of $3,960.00 CAD from *****************************************

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction!

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office,and send the $960.00 CADto the Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction."

Also I have never heard of any company that only uses westerin union as a payment option.

First of all, have you even checked your PayPal account to see if the money is actually there? Do NOT click on ANY link in an email that appears to come from PayPal. They will tell you that they NEVER send links to your account via email. If you entered PayPal through a link in that email and logged in using your username and password, you have already revealed your account information to the scammer.

ONLY go to PayPal by opening your browser and typing in the URL to PayPal and logging in from there. NEVER from a link in an email.

If you log in properly and the money actually does appear to be there, contact PayPal and report it to them. I think that they can confirm that it is a scam. Either way, there is no possible way that I would send this guy a dime of money. None of it is a customary way to do business through PayPal.

If you DID enter PayPal through a link in that email, you need to go to PayPal immediately and change your password and etc.

This is the oldest online scam. They've been doing it for years.

There is no money in your Paypal, they're just trying to get you for $900.

They do it to tons of ads, and if they can dupe a few into responding, they make money off of it.

I don't even respond to scammers, I just delete their emails and ignore them.

First of all, have you even checked your PayPal account to see if the money is actually there? Do NOT click on ANY link in an email that appears to come from PayPal. They will tell you that they NEVER send links to your account via email. If you entered PayPal through a link in that email and logged in using your username and password, you have already revealed your account information to the scammer.

ONLY go to PayPal by opening your browser and typing in the URL to PayPal and logging in from there. NEVER from a link in an email.

If you log in properly and the money actually does appear to be there, contact PayPal and report it to them. I think that they can confirm that it is a scam. Either way, there is no possible way that I would send this guy a dime of money. None of it is a customary way to do business through PayPal.

If you DID enter PayPal through a link in that email, you need to go to PayPal immediately and change your password and etc.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Those scammers will try that with anything. Here is a good one. I have some Maltese puppies for sale advertised online with the local newspaper. One day I got a call from the TTY operator. If you don't know what this is it is a relay service that a deaf caller can send a typewritten message to and receive typewritten messages back. The operator acts as a relay between you and the caller. The caller asked for my email and gave me theirs ad wanted the cost of puppies etc (funny because I had listed the full price in the add). I sent them an email from my email that I have just for these type of things. Response was that they wanted it for their son, would send me a check for the amount plus shipping, someone would come and get the dog and I would give them the shipping fees. Yeah right I fell for that one.

What happens is that the bad guys send you a bank check from an overseas bank. This takes a while to process. In the mean time you have deposited it in your account, given them the item and the extra cash.

But wait, after about 2 weeks the bank check comes back as a forgery. Now your bank is after you for the full amount of the bank check, your item is gone, the bad guys have your "shipping fees" in cash and your credit gets wrecked because any payments you made based on the sale money bounced because of the forged bank check.

The bottom line is that if you are selling something to a stranger and it involves you giving your own money out first RUN.