IGNORED

People should not pre-judge otheres,,,,,,

DBOB

Had an experience today, that just fries my butt. I have been disabled for 18 years. I have a handicap plate on both my Durango and my Venture Royale. Earlier today I had to stop by Home Depot and parked my bike in a disabled slot. I have mostly gotten used to people looking at me funny when I use these parking places. Today as I was getting ready to leave when an elderly guy stops and starts grilling me about using the spot. I started out being polite and pointed out my tag and he wants to know "how I can ride a bike IF I am disabled". I just replied that I am disabled not dead. Then he starts questioning me about the POW/MIA jacket I proudly wear and the flag I fly on my bike! He finally realized he had me pissed off.

Some times I wish I had lost an leg or had some visible signs to "justify" my status. I guess to be fair he could not see the brace on my ankle, or the 12 screws and plates in my neck from a 3 level discectomy and fusion. I have to wear the brace because of a failed fusion in that ankle. I was in the hospital for 3 days for that little operation,,,, then 3 months back in the hospital due to blood clotts. Since I have chronic DVTs ( deep vien thrombosis ) no one will even try to fix my fracked up ankle. I can't even get the dental work I badly need because no one will touch me. I have been on coumadin for 15 years now, they tried to take me off and I had a pulmonary embolism plus kept thowing clotts.

I apoligize for this rant, it is just that it helps to get this stuff off my chest.

Thanks for listening;

Don

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranting is good and there's lots of ears here!

It is hard tho to not pre-judge sometimes ... for example, sometimes I just get a "feeling" about a total stranger ... hard to shake it after that.

But the fact is, when you have the necessary "disabled plaque" ... you are entitled to be able to use it.

Liken the situation to being sick but not really looking sick... I mean geeeez ... just because ya don't look sick doesn't mean ya don't feel like crap.

There are a lot of us out there in the same boat. We carry on the best we can with no complaints. There are kids taking their grandparents car parking in the disabled spots, totally wrong. I will not undress to prove my status I fought to keep my rights not give them up. Know that the people that matter know and appreciate and screw the others. Rod

Thanks for the post Don. It is a good reminder to think before you speak. Even though the guy sounds like he started off trying to do something good. He was wrong. I am sure you will encounter this from time to time. I hope you will consider these as teaching opportunities. Sometimes other people, myself included, just don't know, have preconceived notions and get it wrong.

Mike

A few years ago my sister-in-law severely broke her ankle. She had several surgeries. She couldn't walk too far without severe pain. She had a temporary handicap card that she would hang on her rear view mirror. Ignorant people said incredibly rude things to her when she would park in a handicapped spot.

In the words of Randy Newman, "Don't talk about things you don't know about!"

Guest PlaneCrazy

Personally, I get pissed when I see the middle age housewives who are a hundred pounds overweight using the handicap spots. They got their doctors to fill in the paperwork for a disabled sign for BS reasons like chronic back pain or something similar. One day I even watched one women riding all over the mall in her little electric scooter (she almost ran me over at one point, lol) and then when she got outside behind her car, she hops off of the scooter, then picks the damn thing up and puts it in the back of her minivan!

Unfortunately, there's way to many people who take advantage of the system that don't need it. What makes it worse here in Ontario is that the government decided that a handicap plate was too embarrassing, so they changed to where you get a little plastic sign you put on your visor or on your dash. That way, when you don't need to use it, you can hide the disabled sign and not be embarrassed. Those people who have true disabilities are not embarrassed about it. They deal with it and use the resources at hand to cope.

Another example of political correctness gone wild is the surge in spots for "Expectant Mothers". One little mall I go to has like only a hundred parking spots. The first row of 6 spots are handicap only. The second row of 6 spots are the expectant mother ones. WTF?! I park in those spots just to piss people off. The way I look at it, being pregnant is a choice... not a disability. And there's two parties involved :) Let the non-pregnant father carry the groceries.

What great timing for this discussion. Just last week I had a middle aged lady of the opposite race (absolutely not being racist in any form here) started bobbling her head , shaking her finger, and tried to tear me a new ****** with her rant as I parked in a HC parking spot with my scoot, on which I have a placard. Finally a break came to where I could get a word in edge wise. I replied to her," Sorry lady as I'm mentally challenged and your about to break my last nerve ! Would you like to see me when that happens?"...................I think she got the hint and departed mighty quickly!!!!!!!!!!

Some people do have good intentions, just poor judgment.

BEER30

Another example of political correctness gone wild is the surge in spots for "Expectant Mothers". One little mall I go to has like only a hundred parking spots. The first row of 6 spots are handicap only. The second row of 6 spots are the expectant mother ones. WTF?! I park in those spots just to piss people off. The way I look at it, being pregnant is a choice... not a disability. And there's two parties involved :) Let the non-pregnant father carry the groceries.

I think that description resembles all of us VR riders AFTER going to an M&E and the DQ!

BEER30

while going through my Parking Enforcement course. we had to watch a clip from Me, myself and Irene. were the guy jumps out of the car, and runs inside, parking at a handi-capped stop. Jim Carey, starts trashing the car. only to find out, the guy was helping a disabled man, to his car....

I have encountered, issues like this.

But most of the time, its junor using mommys car. so I have X-ray run the tag ( dispatch) check the numbers on the placard, and wait for junor to return. by this time I have a uniform officer with me., say goodbye to the car junor. and also you get my ticket, for 253.50 have a nice day

23 Whiskey 40 I'm 10-7

You really can't prejudge people. I had an experience last night. I am on a comittee searching for a new accountant for our organization and we interviewed the last of 3 accountants last night. Prior to the meeting I had already decided that this lady was not going to be the one. In our phone conversations I had decided that she was going to be very difficult to work with. I had her pictured as a frumpy bean late middle aged bean counter and expected that she would show up with her gray hair in a bun and lookng rather grandmotherly. I had talked to the other comittee members and had them convinced as well. To my surprise a very professional looking attractive 40 year old blonde shows up. She was very well prepared, very stylishly dressed with perfect hair and makeup. What I took as a very difficult person to work with turned out be a very confident and effiecient professional. She was very easy to talk to and responded confidently to our questions. We were impressed and in our discussions after she left it was clear she was the front runner.

In addition, in our conversation after the business discussion we learned that she rides a Harley with her husband and she attends the Daytona bike week every year. I won't hold that against her.

You really can't prejudge people or go on first impressions.

Dennis

Don, some people are just jerks. You may want to prepare a short speech for the nest time along the lines of what you said that "you don't have to lose a leg or arm to be disabled and my injuries and problems are not visible. I forgive you for being an AssHat and jumping to the wrong conclusion". :)

When I had my hip replacements (both over a few months one winter) Dr. gave me a prescription for a handicapped card. I gladly used it when I had to get out while using a walker or cane, but as soon as I was healthy again, I gave it up and didn't look back, feeling lucky to not HAVE to have one, and more than willing to walk the extra steps again.

You are to be congratulated for not decking that jerk!

There is a lot of abuse with those handicap mirror signs so you need to cut the guy a little slack... Maybe if you just explained to him your disability you could have difused the tension... My own sister uses my deceased father's placard to park in the closer spots..

Someone mentioned pregnant woman spots... Are you for real?? You really begrudge a pregnant woman getting a closer spot?? Then you compound that with taking one of those spots.. Just when you think you've heard everything...

What great timing for this discussion. Just last week I had a middle aged lady of the opposite race (absolutely not being racist in any form here) started bobbling her head , shaking her finger, and tried to tear me a new ****** with her rant as I parked in a HC parking spot with my scoot, on which I have a placard. Finally a break came to where I could get a word in edge wise. I replied to her," Sorry lady as I'm mentally challenged and your about to break my last nerve ! Would you like to see me when that happens?"...................I think she got the hint and departed mighty quickly!!!!!!!!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Have to remember that one Gene!!

I realy apreciate all the support and help I have recieved from all the great brothers and sister here! I guess I can be considered a "lurker", as I do not post often. Just know that I do read and learn a lot from all of you.

I cannot wait till I will someday be able to actually attend one of our functions. I have a hard time planning ahead because there are some days when I barely get out of bed or the chair. I am on some pretty heavy duty meds, and on those occcassions will not drive, let alone ride while medicated. My wife is driving a truck over the road now and is not around much right now. She actually rides a Kawasaki Voyager. Once she is more established with the trucking company she works, for we hope she will be able to spend more time home again.

I should have known that this would not be a great day. As I was rolling my VR out of the garage, I set the kick stand down on my big toe! :bang head: ( on my good foot, lol). I am surprised the neighbores did not hear me scream and curse!

Thanks again for all the kind words and support!

Don

Guest PlaneCrazy
There is a lot of abuse with those handicap mirror signs so you need to cut the guy a little slack... Maybe if you just explained to him your disability you could have difused the tension... My own sister uses my deceased father's placard to park in the closer spots..

Someone mentioned pregnant woman spots... Are you for real?? You really begrudge a pregnant woman getting a closer spot?? Then you compound that with taking one of those spots.. Just when you think you've heard everything...

Yah I am for real. Like I said... Pregnancy is a choice. Not a disability. Women have been having babies for millions of years and have never needed special treatment because of it. There's absolutely no need to have special spots reserved just for them. Where's the father? What ever happened to being a gentleman and dropping your wife/partner/GF off right at the door while you go park the car and then holding the doors open for her? I do that without some store telling me I have too. In fact, when my late wife was pregnant, I went and did most of the shopping. And she felt the same way I do and absolutely hated the idea of those Preggo spots. Businesses and/or governments have no business telling me how to be polite or considerate. What's next.. spots for fat people or how about ones for people with learning disabilities, because they might forget where they parked their car?

Guest PlaneCrazy
I realy apreciate all the support and help I have recieved from all the great brothers and sister here! I guess I can be considered a "lurker", as I do not post often. Just know that I do read and learn a lot from all of you.

I cannot wait till I will someday be able to actually attend one of our functions. I have a hard time planning ahead because there are some days when I barely get out of bed or the chair. I am on some pretty heavy duty meds, and on those occcassions will not drive, let alone ride while medicated. My wife is driving a truck over the road now and is not around much right now. She actually rides a Kawasaki Voyager. Once she is more established with the trucking company she works, for we hope she will be able to spend more time home again.

I should have known that this would not be a great day. As I was rolling my VR out of the garage, I set the kick stand down on my big toe! :bang head: ( on my good foot, lol). I am surprised the neighbores did not hear me scream and curse!

Thanks again for all the kind words and support!

Don

Ouch!

At least you still get to ride though. That's usually enough to help "heal'. I broke my ankle and dislocated my knee cap back in July and missed the whole summer of riding. I'm walking again now, but barely - and in the middle of all my painful physiotherapy. I just keeping telling myself over and over again "I'll be able to ride next year".

I did attempt to explain it to him, but I guess it was not good enough for him.

Don

I would probably just state the the last time you walked by a magnet it took them 2 hours to pry it off your butt because of all the plates and screws in you. Some things will never heal correctly. So you see not all disabilities are clearly visible and your riding the bike, not pushing it.