IGNORED

People should not pre-judge otheres,,,,,,

DBOB

Yah I am for real. Like I said... Pregnancy is a choice. Not a disability. Women have been having babies for millions of years and have never needed special treatment because of it.

It's just a courtesy. Would you give up your seat on the train/bus/subway to a pregnant woman? :confused24: Sorry. I'll be quiet.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I get pissed when I see the middle age housewives who are a hundred pounds overweight using the handicap spots. They got their doctors to fill in the paperwork for a disabled sign for BS reasons like chronic back pain or something similar. .

Ahem!!! i thinks that is what the first post was talking about, what if the person had an injury that didnt allow them to walk, etc and the weight was put on because of the lack of movement and because of the meds they were put on by the doctor.!!!!! Please try not to Judge!!! We all have a disabilty in one form or another, some have a reading, writing issue, others a mobilty issue, still others a sight or pain issue.

A person may be perfectly mobile but will be in extreme pain if they walk too far, the point is that we just dont know....so dont judge.

ok i will turn off my rant now.....

Brian

had to cool off

You hit the nail on the head Brian. Wait gain is a big problem when you lose your mobilty, and then throw in chronic pain, which is a real sympton and result from many health issues. I gained 120 pounds after my accident and resulting issues. I guess I was just lucky the guy I had the incounter with did not make note of my weight.

Don

same story here. I have got so pissed that I take my boot off, let them see the carbon fiber AFO that goes halfway up my calf, then I hold my leg up so they can watch my dead foot dangle. I may not be able to ride for a whole lot longer, so I am darn sure gonna do it while I can!

Ouch!

At least you still get to ride though. That's usually enough to help "heal'. I broke my ankle and dislocated my knee cap back in July and missed the whole summer of riding. I'm walking again now, but barely - and in the middle of all my painful physiotherapy. I just keeping telling myself over and over again "I'll be able to ride next year".

Just got on the damn bike and ride! I limped around for a few years wishing I could ride and telling myself I'd never be able to again. Then, on a whim, I went to a HD shop just to look. While there, I sat on one, and realized that I probably could ride. So, I bought it. Yes, it's tricky when I have to stop, but I learned to come down with my good leg only. While I'm actually riding there is no problem at all (except I cannot feel the rear brake pedal under my foot - I can feel the pressure of the applied brakes slowing the bike, though). I just can't ride for very long because the pain ratchets up from the riding position. I can go farther on the VR, but it's weight gets me tired. That is something that can be worked on over time, though.

My point is, just get on the bike already. Go around the block a time or two. A few minutes a few times a week. Before you know it, you'll be riding all day again.;)

Guest PlaneCrazy
It's just a courtesy. Would you give up your seat on the train/bus/subway to a pregnant woman? :confused24: Sorry. I'll be quiet.

Yes I would. And all the city buses around here have special seats at the front for people with disabilities, pregnant or even with kids in tow. I agree with that 100% (I always sat at the back of the bus anyhow :) )

The difference with that, is that it's public transportation. Driving a car though is a privilege, not a right. And I don't agree with making exceptions for one group out of MANY just to try and be politically correct.

It's the same thing with families and raising kids nowadays. It seems that the majority of new families are putting the responsibility of raising their children properly on the state and not taking that responsibility on themselves. I don't need them to tell me how to treat people with respect and therefore I ignore such stupid things as designated pregnant parking spots.

Why isn't there any parking spots just for vets? It's a hell of a lot easier to get pregnant then it is to go and fight for your country?

Yes I would. And all the city buses around here have special seats at the front for people with disabilities, pregnant or even with kids in tow. I agree with that 100% (I always sat at the back of the bus anyhow :) )

The difference with that, is that it's public transportation. Driving a car though is a privilege, not a right. And I don't agree with making exceptions for one group out of MANY just to try and be politically correct.

It's the same thing with families and raising kids nowadays. It seems that the majority of new families are putting the responsibility of raising their children properly on the state and not taking that responsibility on themselves. I don't need them to tell me how to treat people with respect and therefore I ignore such stupid things as designated pregnant parking spots.

Why isn't there any parking spots just for vets? It's a hell of a lot easier to get pregnant then it is to go and fight for your country?

How about 95% of parking lots are on private property, and they can do what they wish? If you don't want parking for pregnant chicks, then start a business, buy some commercial property, and don't put the signs up. Otherwise, recognize the fact that the only way you have to argue this point is by not spending any money at those establishments.

Personally, I respect the preggers chix parking spaces. Maybe it is because my wife just had a baby, I don't know. I do know that it wasn't easy for her to walk very far. Her choice or not.

Guest PlaneCrazy
Ahem!!! i thinks that is what the first post was talking about, what if the person had an injury that didnt allow them to walk, etc and the weight was put on because of the lack of movement and because of the meds they were put on by the doctor.!!!!! Please try not to Judge!!! We all have a disabilty in one form or another, some have a reading, writing issue, others a mobilty issue, still others a sight or pain issue.

A person may be perfectly mobile but will be in extreme pain if they walk too far, the point is that we just dont know....so dont judge.

ok i will turn off my rant now.....

Brian

I'm sorry if this set you off. I know that many legitimate disabilities are not easily seen and that most of the people who use these spots are doing so for legit reasons. I am stereotyping and that's not right, but unfortunately,. one thing about stereotypes, is that they usually have a kernel of truth in their creation.

The example I gave (which you didn't fully quote) was that this lady jumped off her electric scooter and picked the 100 pound machine up and put it in her van no problem. I would have trouble doing that and I have been a mechanic for 16 years! Ok, so MAYBE she had problems with pain walking distances. But she had an electric scooter that was capable of running her all over the store for an hour, so why not the extra 50 feet from a non handicap spot?

I have seen many, many people who abuse the handicap placard system just because they can. And doctor's don't seem to give a crap about signing off on the forms because they want to keep their patients.

I've also seen elderly people with obvious signs of disabilities having to park far from an entrance while these younger, more fit and capable people have walked out to their cars with no sign of any distress.

Guest PlaneCrazy
How about 95% of parking lots are on private property, and they can do what they wish? If you don't want parking for pregnant chicks, then start a business, buy some commercial property, and don't put the signs up. Otherwise, recognize the fact that the only way you have to argue this point is by not spending any money at those establishments.

Personally, I respect the preggers chix parking spaces. Maybe it is because my wife just had a baby, I don't know. I do know that it wasn't easy for her to walk very far. Her choice or not.

I know that most are private parking. And I know that there's no legal means of forcing the issue, which is why I park there. I have also never... in 27 years of driving, parked in a handicap spot though. Not even for 30 seconds.

That's my opinion on it. Whether you agree with it or not, it makes no difference to me. I'm done talking about it though and I am sorry that this detracted from the OP's original complaint.

Im an overweight guy who has chronic pain issues. Had most of the same pain issues when I lost weight and still have pain issues when the weight returned. I use a handicapped placard most of the time when im driving my car but not on the bike. If im in that much pain then most likely I wouldnt be on the bike anyway. Both knees need replacement, deep pain in both legs, legs swell with water, and by the end of the day I want to kill someone, the pain is so bad. Its a vicious cycle. Pain limits mobility. Pain pills increases weight gain, which in turn increases pain. So far no one has been stupid enough to challange me yet at an HC spot. Do I feel bad about using an HC spot? No. Would I give that spot to someone who is worse off then me? In a heartbeat. And I dont think im abusing the priviledge by using the spot when I really need it. I dont judge others when they use the spot. We arent their doctors and dont know their medical history. Must you look miserable when you get out of your car or is a happy smile on your face taboo when using an HC space?

Ok, the pills are making me grouchy.........

Guest PlaneCrazy
Just got on the damn bike and ride! I limped around for a few years wishing I could ride and telling myself I'd never be able to again. Then, on a whim, I went to a HD shop just to look. While there, I sat on one, and realized that I probably could ride. So, I bought it. Yes, it's tricky when I have to stop, but I learned to come down with my good leg only. While I'm actually riding there is no problem at all (except I cannot feel the rear brake pedal under my foot - I can feel the pressure of the applied brakes slowing the bike, though). I just can't ride for very long because the pain ratchets up from the riding position. I can go farther on the VR, but it's weight gets me tired. That is something that can be worked on over time, though.

My point is, just get on the bike already. Go around the block a time or two. A few minutes a few times a week. Before you know it, you'll be riding all day again.;)

Thanks for the words of encouragement :) I know I will ride in the spring. I could probably ride right now but there's this ugly white stuff that's falling from the sky and covering the roads... It's snowing here :(

I put my venture to bed for the winter last week, but I did keep my Shadow inside my house and I'll be working on it all winter. I was sitting on it yesterday and I am confident I'll be able to ride no problem.

Right now I am working physio real hard to try and get back to work by the end of the month. That's my #1 priority ATM.

Im an overweight guy who has chronic pain issues. Had most of the same pain issues when I lost weight and still have pain issues when the weight returned. I use a handicapped placard most of the time when im driving my car but not on the bike. If im in that much pain then most likely I wouldnt be on the bike anyway. Both knees need replacement, deep pain in both legs, legs swell with water, and by the end of the day I want to kill someone, the pain is so bad. Its a vicious cycle. Pain limits mobility. Pain pills increases weight gain, which in turn increases pain. So far no one has been stupid enough to challange me yet at an HC spot. Do I feel bad about using an HC spot? No. Would I give that spot to someone who is worse off then me? In a heartbeat. And I dont think im abusing the priviledge by using the spot when I really need it. I dont judge others when they use the spot. We arent their doctors and dont know their medical history. Must you look miserable when you get out of your car or is a happy smile on your face taboo when using an HC space?

Ok, the pills are making me grouchy.........

Well said Jeff, about the vicious cycle. Most chronic pain sufferers also have to deal with depression. You are right, pain is biotch. Then you get depressed because it is so frustrating dealing with that cycle ( not the one you ride ). We just have to grab hold of the things we can still do and find pleasure in.

Take care:

Don

Well said Jeff, about the vicious cycle. Most chronic pain sufferers also have to deal with depression. You are right, pain is biotch. Then you get depressed because it is so frustrating dealing with that cycle ( not the one you ride ). We just have to grab hold of the things we can still do and find pleasure in.

Take care:

Don

I left out the depression thing. People already think im nuts. :smile5:

when I come to the states one of the hardest things for me to adjust to is being referred to as "handicapped" That word hasn't been used here for years. I have a "disabled" card for my car and bike. I even hate that word!

:australia:I prefer "challenged" as I just have a few more challenges now than most folks' :sign yeah that:

when I come to the states one of the hardest things for me to adjust to is being referred to as "handicapped" That word hasn't been used here for years. I have a "disabled" card for my car and bike. I even hate that word!

:australia:I prefer "challenged" as I just have a few more challenges now than most folks' :sign yeah that:

I really don't care what people call it. This PC is crap ! All I have to say about myself is that I'm all screwed up and that's it ! So don't get used to being called a descriptive name, cause in a year or two, you be called something else. How about just plain 'ole "Broken"?

I'm supposed to be on crutches full-time as both my hips need replacing as they are collapsed already, due to vascular necrosis(dead bone due to no blood supply). Fusion L5/S1, broken right arm since I was 18 years old (never healed) and Arthritis in hips, back and wrist. Now diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.......and I haven't turned 50 yet !

BEER30

We're really beginning to get over the PC stuff in this country. You're handicapped. You're a cripple. Get over it.:thumbsup:

Another example of political correctness gone wild is the surge in spots for "Expectant Mothers". One little mall I go to has like only a hundred parking spots. The first row of 6 spots are handicap only. The second row of 6 spots are the expectant mother ones. WTF?! I park in those spots just to piss people off. The way I look at it, being pregnant is a choice... not a disability. And there's two parties involved :) Let the non-pregnant father carry the groceries.

That in theory should work, but there's a lot a cases where the father is unknown - go figure

I know what you mean all to well. I have dealt with the same issues from passerby's. I've even taken a few hits from fellow member here. Both for my disabilities & riding and for not following the mainstream beliefs on here. But I'm still here and not that easily chased away just because of a few idiots.

Bill

with regard to the mirror hc placard - prior to my knee surgery, I couldn't walk half a block before the pain started shooting up my leg. Dr. gave me one and I used it when I felt the need. After surgery and I was able to get around w/o pain I quit using it EXCEPT when Linda was having trouble with her feet.

Because of her double bout with cancer and chemotherapy she has developed neuropathy in her feet and legs as well as her fingers. There are days when she can't get thru the grocery store w/o pain and the shopping trip is cut short.

As well, a looooong trip on the bike can be as short as 2 hours -

Here in Vancouver BC Canada, we also have, in some shopping malls, reserved spots for "expecting mothers". My feeling is if they feel they need it, great! .. ya, there are abusers but yanno, there are so many other things "out there" that can irritate a person and some days it's hard to not let the "small stuff" get to you. "Small stuff" like seeing a person parking in a hadicapped parking spot when it "appears" they don't really need it. Why let that irritate yourself ... ya can't solve all the worlds "issues" so go on about your business and forget about such things.

Me? ... heck, I get razzed because I almost always park in the "back forty". I am so fortunate to be in good health and still fairly physically fit (although at 63 I ain't the man I was at 35 LOL). Reading these posts in this thread .... wow people, I can't imagine what you all have to go through or how you do it but reading some of the stories sure humbles a guy like me. You all ROCK!

:thumbsup2:

Guest human4m

I think screwing with the pregnant women is plain wrong... Probably because I have personal involvement... My wife is a high-risk pregnancy, neither her nor I have a job that offers ANY kind of benefits. Her Dr doesn't walking any more than she has to because her uterus is thinning, and her water could break and induce labor prematurely.

Unfortunately she has to take blood pressure medication for preeclampsia, as well as prenatal vitamins to strengthen the uterus wall.

I would be more than happy to go pick up these meds, and do the grocery shopping, and take the kids to school and pick them up but my work schedule conflicts....

As for being easy to get pregnant, she has lost 2 babies after the 3rd trimester... I could simply say it's just as easy for any person to sign up for the military and get shot at. I know, because I did it. I've seen my battle-buddies die, and she has seen her children die. Which would you pick?

Having those parking spots is a good thing to people like her, and to my unborn son.

There are idiots everywhere ...

I have a friend that had back surgery, the doctors told her she might not walk unassisted again, and that riding was out of the question.

Well, this young lady normally kicks ass on any challenge presented her, and this was no exception. So yes, she is walking unassisted, *and* riding her Venture, which has the handicap tag.

A number of us from GA rode into Alabama to honor a recently fallen Brother and stopped at the Alabama 'Welcome' Center just across the GA line. The center attendant actually came out to tell her she could not park her bike where she stopped, as it was a clearly marked handicap spot. We pointed out the clearly marked handicap tag. Idiot attendant obviously hates anyone on a motorcycle.

Here in Vancouver BC Canada, we also have, in some shopping malls, reserved spots for "expecting mothers". My feeling is if they feel they need it, great! .. ya, there are abusers but yanno, there are so many other things "out there" that can irritate a person and some days it's hard to not let the "small stuff" get to you. "Small stuff" like seeing a person parking in a hadicapped parking spot when it "appears" they don't really need it. Why let that irritate yourself ... ya can't solve all the worlds "issues" so go on about your business and forget about such things.

Couldn't have said it better myself. But I will say that all the politically correct crap gets my goat sometimes.