IGNORED

So I hit a deer with the bike last nite

marinakorp

Actually more to the point ... A deer hit me last nite.

On my way home from the range last nite ( teaching a pistol refresher class ) I decided to take the long way home... Nice nite, relatively clear, why not.

I headed out to phoenixville, and took rte 29.

As I was heading past someof the horse farms (back side of valley forge mountain) heading toward the covered bridge. I saw several herds of whitetail on the side of the road.. They scattered as I came riding through.

When I got to the third herd... One broke away from my left and decided that crossing the road toward the loud thing was the safer way to go...instead of into the woods.

Good thing it was a little one (for me) and it smacked right in to my left leg and saddlebag. Bike didn't waiver a bit. Took the hit, remained upright and no damage ( that I could see) to the bike.

Man was I lucky

I know the feeling well, I hit a good sized one 2 months back and was lucky I didnt put the bike down... If I was riding the FJR I think I would have been banged up good... But its good to have a heavy bike under you at time like that...

http://www.fjrforum.com/images/deerstrike1.gif

Heres an avatar for ya

So how was your X count?

When teaching ... I try to refrain from shooting. I find that it tends to put students off a little.

Thant being said, I do upon occasion...when the student is constantly blaming the sights being off.. too high, too low... left right...sights are set for a right hander (etc), take the opportunity to verify that the sights are off.

I was able to verify that the sights were dead on and took two X's out of three (there was a nine or an 8 for the third)... not my type of shooting, as I prefer the combat accuracy style of shooting of IDPA... can you hit the circle as fast as you can as often...keep the groups tight is what I try for. I do OK

I felt good to get back to the bulls eye type of target shooting. Shooting the Sig was WAY different than my Kimber 1911... but good technique is good technique.. that is what we were trying to go for in the training. Break bad habits, and instill good ones...let them know what they are doing incorrect...let htem make hte mistakes and then once they start knowing the mistakes... they usually get better by the next session or two.

Glad you came out in one piece.

How did the deer fair? Is it ready to make sausage?:happy-emoticon:

Thant being said, I do upon occasion...when the student is constantly blaming the sights being off.. too high, too low... left right...sights are set for a right hander (etc), take the opportunity to verify that the sights are off.

I sure wish someone could tell me what I am doing wrong or different.

If I were to shoot one of your guns and aim for the bull I will be 6 inches low and 3 inches left, If you shoot one of my guns that I adjusted the sights on, you will be 6 inches high and 3 inches right.

I shoot nice tight consistent groups. I have had 3 different profesional instructors watch me shoot, one of them used high speed video and none of them can tell me what I am doing wrong or different. One said to not worry about it as long as I always tell someone using my gun where the gun shoots and if someone steals one of my guns, they wont hit $hit with it.

Two thing

1 assuning you are right handed too much finger in trigger causing all fingers in shooting hand to compress, driving gun to left and usually low. If left handed to little finger in trigger.

2 anticipating recoil drives it lower.

Changing sights is masking issue.

Another possibility is that you are weak eye (comapred to dominant hand ) dominant. That can affect things to a point. But the low would still be anticipating recoil.

I'm willing to bet 1 or 2 is the culprit.

Grip and trigger press are VERY important.

Edited by marinakorp

Two thing

1 assuning you are right handed too much finger in trigger causing all fingers in shooting hand to compress, driving gun to left and usually low. If left handed to little finger in trigger.

All three instructors said there was no issue with my grip or trigger finger.

2 anticipating recoil drives it lower.
I was checked with the infamous spent round in the chamber test.

The muzzle never moved when I pulled the trigger.

3 Changing sights is masking issue.
I completely agree, but it works till someone can show me what I am doing wrong.

4 Another possibility is that you are weak eye (comapred to dominant hand ) dominant. That can affect things to a point. But the low would still be anticipating recoil.
I shoot right handed but am very left eye dominant to the point that I shoot right handed and must sight with my left eye. It does cause me to have to grip the gun a little strange.

I'm willing to bet 1 or 2 is the culprit.

I have always thought it was tied to 4

Grip and trigger press are VERY important.

I agree fully.

My one hand gun that is sighted in correct for me or anyone else is a Magnum Research Lone Eagle in 7mm-08 with a scope. I have taken deer at 150 yards with this gun.

I'm trying to get the deer out of your way.

(Ha! Like the way I swung this back on topic?)

Seattle local TV News this morning. A guy in Oregon found a Couger, had been liveing under his Back Deck.

His cat had been missing, for some time.

He heard the dog barking, and looked out to see the big cat trying to catch his little Chiauga Dog.

Animal control finally showed up the put the big cat out of its missery. They stated that apparently it had become to " comfortable around humans "

Edited by GeorgeS

"I completely agree, but it works till someone can show me what I am doing wrong."

Oh, I don't know. You may not be doing anything wrong. Years ago, I discovered that I could not hit a nail with a hammer by aiming right at it. I would always hit about an inch to the left of it. I was able to compensate by just trying to hit an inch to the right and that would put me dead on the nail every time. At the same time, I had always hit just a bit to the left of center when shooting, so, like you, I just compensated. Well that continued for years until one day I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I had surgery to remove it, and sometime later I discovered that I could now hit where I was aiming. Either with a hammer or a gun. That is not to say that I think you have a tumor, but it could at least be some type of minor neurological problem. Who knows?