IGNORED

My Dilemma

Sheradan

My 86 burned a valve and runs like crap. I can get 92 for $2500 with 80K miles on it, plus I have LOTS of great parts from the 86. OR, I can get a fully optioned 2001 BMW K1200LT with 39k miles and new service and tires for $7500. What do you think? Keep in mind I don't have as much time to work on them like I used to. I like the Venture looks and power. I like the BMW fuel injection and adjustable windshield. Moma like the BMW heated seats, but the lower price of the Venture. If I look at it in a 5 year term, the BMW seems the correct choice.

Better read up on the issues some owners have had with BMW K bikes. And also look at the cost of maintenance and parts, particularly if you're not planning on working on it yourself. The Euro is up and BMW parts are pricey, and sometimes slow to arrive from the fatherland.

On the other hand, the 1st gen is a known entity that you can probably do most of the maintenance on yourself or find friends to help with it.

I'm a fan of the KT1200 but I have to admit....they are high maintance. They thrive on attention. The owners I have talked to around here say just doing the spring tune and oil change can run $500 to $700 bucks. (at the stealer) It would be a whole new game for ya but if you're up to the expense I think you would be happy.

Again.....you're familar with the Venture and know your way around and it sounds like you are set up with the parts you want.

Me........I'd be riding the Beemer is a flash.

Mike

They just wont fit the Beemer............be a shame to waste em!!!!!!!!!!

I would go with the Venture myself, I am no fan of BMW, along with the high cost of maintaining it...............Got plenty of friends who can help with the Venture if needed............plus the Venture is a lot more affordable............easy choice for me...............

But you got to keep momma happy..............:bang head::bang head:

I know the BMW are fantastic bikes.I know people who have them and love them. I love them too.Parts and service are costly.My bud pays $25.00 a pop a spark plug for his 2009 BMW.

I love my Venture because it is quiet, very fast , and easy to maintain.

:cool18:

I sold my 86 Venture to my son and bought a 99 K1200LT and haven't regretted it a bit. This is the best riding bike I have ever been on and I have been riding for 40 yrs. I do all of my own service and changing the oil is really easier than the Yamaha. There is a forum that I belong too much like this one that has BMW riders that are eager to help with any troubles you have and used parts are abundant. The address is:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/cmps_index.php?

This is a great bunch of people but I have become attached to you guys so I am not going anywhere soon.

P.S. this thing has a dry clutch so you can run any type of oil you want in the engine. I use Castrol 20W50 in mine. It also has an external alternator like a car on it. Oh, I forgot to mention it has a 6 CD changer and reverse.........

Edited by ctraylor
Left out some stuff and mispelled some words.

Here's the "Rest of the story". Did a 1000 mile weekend on the BMW. From Eureka Ca, to Reno NV, to Santa Rosa Ca, back to Eureka (ferndale acually). Starting out, luggage is too small. The wife and I are not little people, so with the luggage packed and stacked we are overloaded for vehicle rating. But it's the same for the Venture. On the trip from reno to Santa Rosa, the weather was in the high 90's and we were doing 80-90 mph most of the trip due to time limits. I hate to say it, but the bike performed flawlessly. Not only that we averaged 45 mpg. The power band is huge and smooth. The fuel injection is the only way to go. We made the heartbreaking decision that we are done with the Ventures. We must move on to something newer and the 2nd gen is not the type of bike I like.

That said I'm going to have lots and lots of great parts available with very little miles on them. Most will be for sale, some will be donated. This really does break my heart. I've been enjoying my Ventures for 22 years and I guestimate 200k miles. Running two businesses and my community work, and CMA officer duties, I just don't have the time to work on them anymore. :confused24: I still think the 1st gen is the best tour bike ever built, and this BMW is the closest thing to it in todays market.

In five years, as soon as my last kid gets out of college, I will be looking at the same issue. It looks to me that the BMW is the closest thing to the 1st gen and I will be looking at them then. Of course maybe Yamaha will come out with a completely new third gen by then.

Iowa Guy

Here's the "Rest of the story". Did a 1000 mile weekend on the BMW. From Eureka Ca, to Reno NV, to Santa Rosa Ca, back to Eureka (ferndale acually). Starting out, luggage is too small. The wife and I are not little people, so with the luggage packed and stacked we are overloaded for vehicle rating. But it's the same for the Venture. On the trip from reno to Santa Rosa, the weather was in the high 90's and we were doing 80-90 mph most of the trip due to time limits. I hate to say it, but the bike performed flawlessly. Not only that we averaged 45 mpg. The power band is huge and smooth. The fuel injection is the only way to go. We made the heartbreaking decision that we are done with the Ventures. We must move on to something newer and the 2nd gen is not the type of bike I like.

That said I'm going to have lots and lots of great parts available with very little miles on them. Most will be for sale, some will be donated. This really does break my heart. I've been enjoying my Ventures for 22 years and I guestimate 200k miles. Running two businesses and my community work, and CMA officer duties, I just don't have the time to work on them anymore. :confused24: I still think the 1st gen is the best tour bike ever built, and this BMW is the closest thing to it in todays market.

You should be very happy with it maintenance is not that hard on them. They are good bikes and lot more advanced back in 2002 then anything else on the road even the newest Goldwing takes a back seat in terms of technology to that BMW. The heated seat on that thing is awesome. BMW will be my next bike since Yamaha isnt going to come out with anything soon. I'll wait a year see if Yamaha pulls the trigger and I'm with you Sheredan if the looks stay the same on the Venture I'm gone.

Single CD up top & 6 disc changer in bag. I might add it's a K12LT Custom. It has all the goodies.

Rip out the cd changer why have it when a MP3 player can plug right in. More space in the bags. 100 times more music in a credit card size. Thats what my buddy did on his 99 K12Lt. No reason this day and age to have a cassette player or cd changer taking up space.

Rip out the cd changer why have it when a MP3 player can plug right in. More space in the bags. 100 times more music in a credit card size. Thats what my buddy did on his 99 K12Lt. No reason this day and age to have a cassette player or cd changer taking up space.

That's an excellent idea. Especially concidering in already has a plug-in for it. Changer is out! Has another plug for the phone also.