IGNORED

noise control

Carbon_One

I am all for it, there is no reason to have open pipes on a bike unless you are a track racer. I have been riding bikes since I was about 9 y/o and you can optimize the engine on the bike without open pipes and when I sit in my house and hear the Harley's go bye and rattle my windows it irks me. When I was younger and modified my 1979 f-150 with a built 302 with headers and cherry bombs I got a 250$ ticket because it is against federal law to tamper with a vehicle exhaust unless it meets OEM standards.

As the article stated there is a federal law that says you can not put loud pipes on ANY vehicle for road use.

I would just love to meet a LEO that has the stones to enforce it.

Here in Milwaukee the home of Harley, with the shear number of LOUD Harley's running around, the city/county could end property taxes if they would just start to ticket all loud vehicles.

Well I can wish can't I.:fingers-crossed-emo

Yeah well, the thing about this bill is that it won't allow you to install after market exhaust for any reason. Even if the new exhausts Db levels are under the legal limit. No exceptions. It's a bad law. Besides, there are already laws on the books that deal with noise levels of exhaust for all vehicles. They just need to start enforcing those laws.

Here is a link to the AMA's page on this matter. And by the way. The AMA is against loud exhaust also.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=16039911&queueid=

Yeah well, the thing about this bill is that it won't allow you to install after market exhaust for any reason. Even if the new exhausts Db levels are under the legal limit. No exceptions. It's a bad law. Besides, there are already laws on the books that deal with noise levels of exhaust for all vehicles. They just need to start enforcing those laws.

Here is a link to the AMA's page on this matter. And by the way. The AMA is against loud exhaust also.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=16039911&queueid=

I'm with ya all the way on this. You can increase the sound without losing performance and hearing and still make the bikes sound good. Like most laws on the books there's others already there covering these situations that just need enforcing.

Larry

I'm with ya all the way on this. You can increase the sound without losing performance and hearing and still make the bikes sound good. Like most laws on the books there's others already there covering these situations that just need enforcing.

Larry

You are right; the law is bad. But the people who CAUSED it are much worse.

The ONLY reason it exists is because disgusting inconsiderate maggots have pissed off 99% of the rest of the world by thinking they have the right to intrude on everyone else's life in an infantile attempt to get people to look at them. It is THOSE jerks who have ruined it for the rest of us, not the law makers. I hate government in general, and really despise the intrusive laws that get stuffed down our throat every day. But I completely understand why the rest of the public will give up their own freedoms just to shut down the a-holes that think it is OK to make intrusive noise.

We are our own worst enemies.

Goose

Years ago I was busted for having 10" Z-bars with 3" dogbone risers on a chopper.

The result was the bars were about chest height.

The law in Ontario is the HIGHEST part of the bars can be no higher then 15" or 15 1/2" above the seat (with the rider compressing it)

That's another one that obviously is not being enforced!

I have seen idiots riding with the bars so high thier arms are almost straight up above their head.

Tell me they have full control!!!:thumbdown:

Michigan has that same law or close to it. Maybe 16" from seat to highest part of handle bars. As other types of laws like this it's enforced selectively. While some local leo's ignore it others may not. I have a friend who has a bobber style and was busted twice in the UP by State officers. Another friend had a Road Glide with high bars and never was questioned by the same officer while citing the other friend. Go figure that one out. LOL

Larry

The ONLY reason it exists is because disgusting inconsiderate maggots have pissed off 99% of the rest of the world by thinking they have the right to intrude on everyone else's life in an infantile attempt to get people to look at them. It is THOSE jerks who have ruined it for the rest of us, not the law makers. I hate government in general, and really despise the intrusive laws that get stuffed down our throat every day. But I completely understand why the rest of the public will give up their own freedoms just to shut down the a-holes that think it is OK to make intrusive noise.

Goose

At least we agree that THIS LAW is a bad one. I have after market mufflers that are louder than stock. I like the sound. I don't think they are obnoxious and compared to most of the HDs that drive by my house they are tame. I do how ever pay attention to where I am and where my RPMs are. I try to be considerate of other people.

I like pipes that have some sound to them, but I don't like them so loud that it disturbs everyone in the county. You hear people say they hate motorcyclists because of what some of them do.

A few years ago a biker moved into a house about a quarter mile from me. His bike was so loud it would wake me up every time he came home. It was always in the early morning hours, and he made no attempt to keep from bothering everybody in the neighborhood. He's not there anymore thankfully.

The pipes on my Yamaha have some sound to them, but when I leave for work in the morning I try to ride as quietly as I can. I have stock exhaust on the Harley, so I can hear the radio:)

My last bike had pipes that would rock your world with a hand full of throttle (DG Hard Chrome 3" big straights) but I rode rode home at midnight after work and distrubed no one. When they start enforcing the noise laws against motorcycles I hope they also take care of the tuners with 1000 watt amps blasting Rap, hip-hop and for that matter CW!! noise is noise no matter where it comes from.

Edited by Arcs&Sparks
spelling

A number of years ago I was working in Nashua NH and had ridden my RSV equipped with BUBs to NH. One weekend Chick, a friend, led me on a ride to and up the coast. As we rounded a curve near the coast he called me on the radio and told me to "idle" it. As I came out of the curve I saw a couple of cops that had a few bikes pulled over on the side of the road. We slowly rode by and after passing them Chick told me on the radio that it was a "noise" checkpoint. He said that even BUBs, which compared to most Harleys, were NOT loud, could get you a ticket. He also had after market pipes about the same loudness as BUBs and said he had to be careful mainly on the coast.

OK, if NH can enforce an existing noise level law, why can't California, if there is really a law already on the books ?????????????????

Here in the Biloxi/Gulfport area there are a lot of bikes with loud pipes. A couple just moved in three doors down from me and he rides what I think is a Big Dog custom, with very loud pipes. I was out talking to my neigbor one day when he rode by and I commented that his pipes were very obnoxious. But the police are doing very little about loud bikes but they will give you a ticket in a heartbeat for a loud stereo, to the tune of $1000. Enforcement is all about what the public complains most about. Down here it's the car stereos that you can hear a mile away. The bikes are loud but it's not a constant thing so people put up with it. My new Victory has Stage One exhausts but they are no louder than BUBs on an RSV.

Edited by rsstar

Loud is in the ear of the beholder.

I know people with straight pips on their Harleys that claim it is not loud or obnoxious, just a "nice sound". That is why the laws had to put a number on it. MOST aftermarket pips that "sound good" are to loud, regardless of how nice you think they sound.

The legal Db limit is 82 Db @ something like 2500 rpm. That's not very loud. Most factory exhausts are about that.

California is in dire financial trouble and they want to enact a new law that will take a lot of man hours to enforce. Who are they going to have enforce it now that police are being laid off all over the state?

The legal Db limit is 82 Db @ something like 2500 rpm. That's not very loud. Most factory exhausts are about that.

California is in dire financial trouble and they want to enact a new law that will take a lot of man hours to enforce. Who are they going to have enforce it now that police are being laid off all over the state?

It may take a lot of man hours to enforce but it can also be a significant revenue stream if enforced. There are cities that get a major portion of their operating budget from traffic citations.

It may take a lot of man hours to enforce but it can also be a significant revenue stream if enforced. There are cities that get a major portion of their operating budget from traffic citations.

That may be true but the city that I live did away with it traffic division for a couple of years because of budget cut backs. That isn't to say the cops didn't write tickets, they just didn't have anyone assigned to that task.

Goose

What He said! Those "loud pipes save lives idiots" are giving everyone who rides a bad name. Should change their motto to "loud pipes PO people"!. I've also noticed over the years that the LOUDER the pipes, the SLOWER the bike...the REAL quick bikes are almost always quieter....(Think FJR, Kawa Concours, BMW K1300gt, Honda ST or even a Hayabusa or Vmax!!!!) I had a set of aftermarket pipes on my Duc--they Did add power, BUT they were NOT obnoxiously loud!! Thanks to all the moron's out there, pipes like them will soon be illegal for everyone!

I agree with some here, as I like to hear a nice exhaust sound coming from a car or motorcycle, but not a loud ear drum breaking sound. I'm a what you call a motor head, but I don't understand why alot of folks have to sit at an intersection and constantly blipp the throttle and then take off like an idiot just to make noise and want everyone to look at them. Heading to the Del marva bike week in Md. this week and I'll hear it all weekend, I just sit there and chuckle to myself and then may be show them the back of my venture when I go by them quietly and stealthy. Shame it only takes a few to start problems for most. Once they get some legislation started it gets worse with other legislation to. I would like to add also ,that why is it that when some folks get on their bike they loose all common sense on riding and do dumb stuff when in front of other people ?I just thought I would add that here as well.

Loud is in the ear of the beholder.

I know people with straight pips on their Harleys that claim it is not loud or obnoxious, just a "nice sound". That is why the laws had to put a number on it. MOST aftermarket pips that "sound good" are to loud, regardless of how nice you think they sound.

I was riding my bike behind my brother and he was on his Harley with straight pipes for 2 hours, it was just too loud. I like nice sounding pipes but i see why people do not like the really LOUD ones.

I ride in the Bikers for Burns ride every year and I get there 1 hour before registration. Just so I can be at the front of the ride and not hear those pipes for 40 miles. And every underpass they pull in the clutch and rev. Lot a show but no go. BUT by far the loudest bike I've ever heard is a Honda Valkyrie that runs around here at times. 6 Short straight pipes, you can hear him coming a mile away and hear him leaving for 5.

I don't like straight pipes but I love my Barons. I will run them and if I get a ticket I will pay it and then keep right on running them. Police bikes all over the country have aftermarket pipes on them so I really don't think the law would be enforced. This has been tried in the past and failed and it will again.