IGNORED

RSV Suspension

egads.. I had my rear shock replaced under warranty last summer and after this long run discovered the dang thing has crapped out.. Comparing it to a couple of other RSV, I stand on the right side of the bike and press down on the rear seat, mine will spring down and up smoothly while the other two have a heck of a lot more resistance to the downward push than mine does.. This is how the tech showed me my shock was dead when he suggested a warranty replacement (a quick test he says).. So though my shock holds air pressure, there is no resistance to it.. and I do not recall ever finding a puddle of oil under the bike nor can I notice any oil dirt on the bottom of the shock.. I ride a lot in the rain, so wonder if that washed a lot of it off?

The bike handles the bumps well enough but I noticed lately that the bile wallows in bumpy long curving turns at high speeds.. I can anticipate it and not find it scary though someone not expecting this on their bike might well panic.

Anyway, now that the bike is officially out of warranty as of last month (shyte timing huh?) I need to figure out what best to do.. I doubt I'll want to order another whimpy $900 Yamaha shock which will most likely go bunky in a year.. what choices do I have?

I'm having my front forks serviced later this month and was contemplating on having a set of progressive springs installed. I have them in my VStar and love the stiffness and lack of nose dive when attack sharp corners or abrupt stopping. It has a nice spring rate.. Has anyone tried these on their RSV yet?

Anyhoo... lemme know what you think..

Cheers

If you typically get your bike serviced at a dealer they may be able to do something for you. If it never sees a dealer I doubt you get much support.

I too was wondering about the progressive on the front ?

BRad

My bike, being a US bike, cannot be 'warranty' worked here in Canada (go figure eh?) and the US shop I normally deal with can't help anymore as Yamy USA indicates the warranty is expired on this bike.

the Progressive Springs I have in the VStar made a wold of difference, I can't imagine it not being the same for the RSV

if it has been less than 12 months since the last shock was replaced, the dealer can do a "parts warranty ticket" and get it covered.

mike

Thanks for the heads up.. I'll get a hold of them this week and find out more about it.. Well worth the 8 hour drive into the USA to get a $900 shock replaced..

Seaking, just put a Works Performance shock on my 2000 RSV. It's like riding a new bike. If you can't get Yamaha to replace yours for free, and you have to spend the money, buy the Works, it is MUCH better, and cheaper. I paid $600 for it, but it was well worth it! I went through two of the OEM shocks in less than five years and only 42,000 miles.

Seaking, just put a Works Performance shock on my 2000 RSV. It's like riding a new bike. If you can't get Yamaha to replace yours for free, and you have to spend the money, buy the Works, it is MUCH better, and cheaper. I paid $600 for it, but it was well worth it! I went through two of the OEM shocks in less than five years and only 42,000 miles.

Thanks M8... can you point me in the right direction to find one? Makes ya wonder why they bother to make a shock that can't be serviced which fails in less than 30,000 miles.. sigh.. oh wait, that was a silly question. My bad. ;)

Thanks again

I don't know where you are finding this $900 figure :think:.

Last I priced them out, the most expensive I found was 675 or so (no thank you local stealer). Least expensive was ~450 + shipping. Of course this is all USD - BUT, the USD and CAD are about the same now.

My works shock was $702.88 to my doorstep.

Regardless - sounds like the 12 month parts warranty thing is the way to go. Even though it is a little bit of a haul for you.

I don't know where you are finding this $900 figure :think:.

Last I priced them out, the most expensive I found was 675 or so (no thank you local stealer). Least expensive was ~450 + shipping. Of course this is all USD - BUT, the USD and CAD are about the same now.

My works shock was $702.88 to my doorstep.

Regardless - sounds like the 12 month parts warranty thing is the way to go. Even though it is a little bit of a haul for you.

Canadian$$

Thanks M8... can you point me in the right direction to find one? Makes ya wonder why they bother to make a shock that can't be serviced which fails in less than 30,000 miles.. sigh.. oh wait, that was a silly question. My bad. ;)

Thanks again

http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/ Talk to Rick he will fix you up..he will ask your weight, passenger etc..

http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/ Talk to Rick he will fix you up..he will ask your weight, passenger etc..

Thanks M8.. cutting down to the chase, getting a new one that can be rebuilt.. "sigh" The one he refers to can be adjusted (though not easily) for one to two riding but since I ride alone all the time, no worries.

sweet

Could you ellaborate a little more of the differences in the ride with the Works shock compared to the OEM? I don't have any issues yet but am always looking for a good upgrade.

Thanks...

V-4 Vendetta, Sorry I didn't answer you sooner, I missed your post. I think the Works shock is much better than stock for several reasons. First, the stock shock always felt "sloppy" or "loose" to me, especially in the "sweepers." The Works shock feels much tighter when leaning. Next, the stock shock was very noisy. This was not much of a problem at highway speeds, but in parking lots, I could actually hear it groaning. It really stuck out when I would move the bike when the engine was not running. Finally, the Works shock bounces less, and recovers faster on bad roads. There are some badly rutted roads here in south central PA where the back wheel would actually come off the ground when I would go over them with the stock shock on. The Works shock absorbs the bounces without coming off the ground, and stops bouncing sooner. Hope this helps. Again, sorry about the delayed response.

...There are some badly rutted roads here in south central PA where the back wheel would actually come off the ground when I would go over them with the stock shock on. The Works shock absorbs the bounces without coming off the ground, and stops bouncing sooner...

Is that an under statement. We drove from WV into PA this summer. I was annoyed to see the speed limit drop from 70 to 55. After just a couple of miles I found out why! The roads are so dang bad you can't drive any faster and still dodge the holes, cracks, missing pavement without tearing up your vehicle. Come next election you folks need to fire somebody.

There's a trucker's magazine out there (I forget the name) that annually publishes the top ten worst roads in the country. PA routinely lands near, or at the top, meaning some of the worst! I love driving south into Maryland and West Virginia. I don't even need the "Welcome to..." signs. I can tell I've left PA as soon as the road smoothes out!

Edited by DONATALIE
spelling errors

For what it's worth, I recently contacted progressive suspension via their web page, regarding a rear shock for the Venture, as they were advertising a new rear adjustable monoshock for some cruisers, and this was their reply:

Hi Ron,

Yes, it is actually one of the bikes we are considering at this time. It probably will not be available for 6-8 months though due to testing requirements.

Frank van Es

Sales Manager

Progressive Suspension

714-523-8700 EXT 259

t

Frank van Es

Sales Manager

Progressive Suspension

714-523-8700 EXT 259