IGNORED

Leveling links, not for me!

After all of the discussion of improved slow speed handling that leveling links provide I decided to make a set last Friday. Following the instruction posted in the technical section I made a set from 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel bar from Home Depot. After letting the paint on them dry I installed them and took slow trip around the neighborhood. Wow, they did improve the slow speed handling. Great! I thought. So yesterday I had a 300 mile ride planned with my riding buddies going over roads we've been on dozens of times. A lot of twisties and sweeping curves with good smooth pavement. We hit the curves and the bike was a handful to keep under control. It was extremely "twitchy" and required constant corrections. Without the links I could just set the bike up lay into the curves with a smooth transistion through them. I know it's contrary to popular opinon here, but I don't like them and I plan to go back to the stock links today.

Dennis

Funny that you have an 07 that is what I had. I did the same thing and felt the same thing you did although you went from stock to level I went from lowered to level and I took them off the next day and went back to the lowered. I am not sure why they like it better but most do. My 2010 that I have now is stock and I have considered Lowering it just because I think it makes the Bike look better. But I am with you on the leveling links:fatsmiley:.

A couple of years ago, I put the leveling links on my RSMV. It did seem to handle a little better @ slow speeds but all the issues you stated were there once I was traveling on the highway at speed.

Needless to say, I don't have them on my bike any longer and would not place them on there again.

I run Avon tires and the better handling over the Brickstone tires is enough for me.

I have a set Leveling links if anyone wants them.

Jim

Not trying to hijack your thread or get into a spirited discussion about links. I lowered my bike front and rear and have been very pleased with the results. I did not feel any difference at road speed, but do like the feel of the bike at low speeds. Just sayin'.

I lowered the front using the directions on this site, so it was free. However I am not thinking you can lower the rear without cost because the back brake has to be relocated.

You mean Yamaha with all the engineers knew what they were doing, imagine that. Millions of dollars are spent engineering and designing bikes for some reason. Mine handles just fine and way better than my old Wing, although not nearly as well as my old Harley it is just fine for the size and weight of the bike.

I need to drill mine and install. Have been putting it off due to lack of time.

The slow speed handling sooner or later is gonna catch up to me (almost dropped the bike twice). Plus, if I understand what you are saying, it makes the bike even more responsive/sensitive in the curves at high speeds? That I could surely use as am use to the handling characteristics of my 650 V-star.

The best part about this mod is, if it's too much of a change and you don't like it, your not out much money or time...

if I understand what you are saying, it makes the bike even more responsive/sensitive in the curves at high speeds? The best part about this mod is, if it's too much of a change and you don't like it, your not out much money or time...

Correct. At least in my experiance. Less input needed=quicker response.

Shirley had noticed how I was strugling at low speeds, and that now I dont.

I think I have about $7 invested in the mod and about an hour making and installing the links. They may not be for everybody, but if you dont like them your not out much.

I love'em.:thumbsup2:

I will admit that I'm a new member to the Venture Riders as well as only having my 06 Venture for about a month. I saw the leveling links on Diamond R Accessories website and spoke to a buddy of mine who rides a HD Ultra about them. His advice was to leave the bike as is and learn about it. I had just moved up from a Vstar 1100 and was quite suprised at the weight of the bike 2 up riding. I will tell you after the inital shock i can't even tell when my wife is back there. My thought is now that I'm use to it I could not see making a change on how it performs.

Dennis...What size front tire are you running, the 130 or the 150?

Stock size, 150 Dunlop E3. A few years ago I tried a 130 Avon on the front of my '04 venture and I didn't like it either. It did improve slow speed handling but I didn't like the way it felt at highway speeds going over irregular surfaces.

As Mike mentioned the links may just provide a quicker steering response and I just didn't take the time to get used to it. I put the stock links back on yesterday and we took a ride through the curves near my house and it felt right.

Dennis

Stock size, 150 Dunlop E3. A few years ago I tried a 130 Avon on the front of my '04 venture and I didn't like it either. It did improve slow speed handling but I didn't like the way it felt at highway speeds going over irregular surfaces.

As Mike mentioned the links may just provide a quicker steering response and I just didn't take the time to get used to it. I put the stock links back on yesterday and we took a ride through the curves near my house and it felt right.

Dennis

Cool Beans....it's not for everyone and you have to feel right for you when on the scoot

:thumbsup2:

Just a suggestion for anyone who feels the Leveling Links made their bike unstable with a stock size front tire - before you make you mind up, look for other problems with your bike. The handling problems described in the first post sounds just like what you get if your front forks are not exactly equal in pressure. Improperly beaded tires will also cause those sensations, as will loose steering head bearings and swing arm bearings. An over inflated rear tire or one that is worn flat in the middle will do it too.

Raising the rear of the bike reduces the rake and trail of the front end, so it DOES accentuate the handling. That means that anything amiss to begin with will be much worse after the rear is raised. But in my experience riding an RSV for over 100,000 miles, and doing a lot of specific tire and suspension testing, the Leveling Links will NOT have any negative impact on handling at all if all else is good. Even if you go back to stock suspension, whatever else is wrong with your bike will probably just continue to get worse until you find it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

For anyone who has made their own links, I would also strongly suggest that they DOUBLE CHECK them. Not only must they both be EXACTLY the same length, but the MAXIMUM distance from the bottom of the hole in the stock length to the bottom of the hole in the new shorter link must not exceed 1/4" - that raises the rear 1 full inch.

I am not saying that you cannot make them shorter than that and still have them work, just that my experience with the Leveling Links that do not cause any problems is limited to ones that are no more than 1/4" shorter than stock links. You also want to make sure the bolt holes are not too big to allow any slop or motion of the links on the bolts.

Goose

A couple of years ago, I put the leveling links on my RSMV. It did seem to handle a little better @ slow speeds but all the issues you stated were there once I was traveling on the highway at speed.

Needless to say, I don't have them on my bike any longer and would not place them on there again.

I run Avon tires and the better handling over the Brickstone tires is enough for me.

I have a set Leveling links if anyone wants them.

Jim

I'd like to try them!!!

How much??

Mark

Not one size fits all all the time, if you get my drift. Some mods may work wonders for some but are a nightmare for others. I tried the 130 tire thing and I hated it. After about 2k I went back to the 150. I too bought the steel to make my own leveling links but.....I have no handling issues to speak of so, ill just leave it stock. We all have our personal preferences. I mean, some just wear plain boxers while others wear pink, er, nevermind.....

:smile5: