IGNORED

2011 RSV on Yamaha web site

I just looked at the 2011 RSV on the web site again. Under the FEATURES tab, listed in the Key Features section (near the top), it says it comes with a "sound system/cb radio/ CD/intercom." On that same page, in the Additional Features section (near the bottom), it says "AM/FM/ Cassette." I guess we'll have to wait until they hit the show room floors. Hopefully it's the CD, not that lame cassette. I've been holding off on replacing my 2000 RSV, hoping for some improvements (FI, CD, 6th gear, guages, etc.). I guess I'll have to wait until 2012!

It is nothing new. The cd changer was an option starting in 1999 and has been an option until last year when they made it standard. I'm sure that they are REALLY trying to get rid of all those cd changers. It will still have the cassette and the same cd changer that has been available for more than 10 years. I would lay money that is the case.

I just looked at the 2011 RSV on the web site again. Under the FEATURES tab, listed in the Key Features section (near the top), it says it comes with a "sound system/cb radio/ CD/intercom." On that same page, in the Additional Features section (near the bottom), it says "AM/FM/ Cassette." I guess we'll have to wait until they hit the show room floors. Hopefully it's the CD, not that lame cassette. I've been holding off on replacing my 2000 RSV, hoping for some improvements (FI, CD, 6th gear, guages, etc.). I guess I'll have to wait until 2012!

6th Gear? you funny...now you want a tranny like the new H-D. These bikes don't need a 6th gear... Unless they made 1st so low it was just for trailer pullers.

Jason, Sorry, but I do disagree with ya'. I think it depends on how you ride. I'm not exactly a speed demon, but I don't putt along, either. I would LOVE to be able to cruise along on the interstates around here in a higher gear, at lower rpm's, getting better gas mileage. Just my opinion.

Think they moved the CB antenna or just got it wrong for the photo-op.

Mike

Got it wrong in the photo-op. It was that way on the photo for the 2010 Canadian model as well. Think it may just be the same photos from the Canadian site, from last year, as a matter of fact.

Drooled over that color last year and I'm still doing it this year. Darn Yamaha!! :bawling: :Bunny:

I would LOVE to be able to cruise along on the interstates around here in a higher gear, at lower rpm's, getting better gas mileage. Just my opinion.

Don,

In actuality, slower RPM's on this motor does not mean better gas mileage. The G2 spins about 600 RPM's lower in 5th gear than the 1st gens do. The mileage is basically the same between the 2 styles of bike, it's all in how much you like to twist the throttle that will determine what kind of mileage you get for the most part. The sweet spot for this bike where it performs at the optimum seems to be just over the 4K rpm mark. :2cents:

yep, i'd say the sweet spot on this bike starts at 3500 rpm's..at 4000, it is smooth as silk....i've gotten the same mileage at 65 mph...in 4th or 5th....and in 5th at 65 it feels like the motor is pounding.....especially if i give it the gas....i've gotten to where i don't let the rpms go below 3500 when cruising........

yep, i'd say the sweet spot on this bike starts at 3500 rpm's..at 4000, it is smooth as silk....i've gotten the same mileage at 65 mph...in 4th or 5th....and in 5th at 65 it feels like the motor is pounding.....especially if i give it the gas....i've gotten to where i don't let the rpms go below 3500 when cruising........

I usually dont shift into 5th gear until I am atleast at 65 mph. In town I never shift into 5th as I can drop a gear to 3rd and hammer it incase I get into a tight spot that I need to get out of.

I just checked and I don't see where it says 6th gear. The 2011 features and spec's I checked both say 5 gears. And that makes sense to me. Why would they spend the money to put in a 6th gear in a 12 year old design. I did notice the new MSRP of $20,090! I like my Venture a lot more than a Harley but if I had to buy a new touring bike and I had to pay that price I would switch to a Harley Ultra Classic. It may not be as good as the Venture but at least they are trying to update the Ultra and it would have a better resell value. That is why I have a 2000MM and a 2001. Why by a new one when I can save $15,000 off list and buy the exact same bike except for the color. And if the owner who sells the used bike is half way smart I get better tires also.

i would like to see new gagets added to the rsv, but i dont want it to change much at all. gagets will never change me from the bike i ride. being uncomfortable would or handling. i see where some say nothing changing on the rsv so i`ll go to a HD or wing? they must not be happy anyway with rsv ! a cd changer shouldnt make you change your bike. so i hope in two years when my bikes paid off i`ll buy a 2012 and it`ll be like my 2005.if it dosent have the gagets i want i`ll put them on like i did my 05.so where most are hoping for a big change i am not.

i would like to see new gagets added to the rsv, but i dont want it to change much at all. gagets will never change me from the bike i ride. being uncomfortable would or handling. i see where some say nothing changing on the rsv so i`ll go to a HD or wing? they must not be happy anyway with rsv ! a cd changer shouldnt make you change your bike. so i hope in two years when my bikes paid off i`ll buy a 2012 and it`ll be like my 2005.if it dosent have the gagets i want i`ll put them on like i did my 05.so where most are hoping for a big change i am not.

I don't think most people are looking for major changes to the venture.I believe most would like to just see up dates to the fuel system,the handling,the electronics,the braking system and option packages.every other company is up dating there bikes.Don't you think it's about time Yamme makes a great bike better?

:sign yeah that:I don't understand the threat to switch to hd or gw or whatever if changes aren't made soon. For the SAME $ I would still be riding a RSV even without f/i, cd, ??? I like the ride and style and like riding something as proven as the RSV and like riding a bike that isn't so populated.

I agree with most here in the fact that I LOVE the RSV. It is hands down the most comfortable 2 up touring bike I have ever ridden, and I have done some miles on Wings and Ultras. I'm not so worried about the FI or the cassette deck, the biggest thing in my estimation is the charging system. The one on the bike is barely adequate to charge the basics on the bike. I like running a lot of lights, my driving lights are on all the time day and night for safety from critters in the dark and numbskulls in the day. I would want to see a big improvement in power availability as far as electrical output. Heated clothes are nice to have and use for both rider and passenger, this takes juice.

I'm afraid that a redesign will be more geared towards a GW style or the old 1st gens. If that turns out to be the case, I wont buy a new one. I like the classic styling of the RSV, the body lines flow smoothly and I love how it looks (besides the cyclopes headlight, but thats another story) We'll see what they do, but for me, I'll redo this '99 that Moose gave me and I'll ride it till the wheels fall off it :thumbsup2:

I have to agree with the most of you that the 2G rsv is a great bike. Just ran two up for 1900 miles in 6 days and loved every minute. The minor mods I've done make it even better (seat mod, leveling links, E3 tires and just added the Iso-Grips for the ride). I've ridden the HD's and like the low end torque but have no problem reving the RSV to get the same torque, maybe even more. I have no problem with no CD since my GPS has MP3 and I did the splitter to listen through the speakers. As long as you keep fuel stabilzer in the fuel over the off season, there isn't any carb. issue. FI is great as long as it's working correctly, but if not it's big bucks to fix. I'll stay with the carbs with no worries. The only thing I'd like to see different in the RSV is a lower center of gravity. Maybe a lighter passenger? Oh, I'm in trouble now!!

By the way, if you ever get a chance to ride the Road To The Sun in Glacier Park, it is well worth it. I'll post some pics at a later date.

Squidley,

I know this is slightly off topic, but indulge me, if you will. Why wouldn't lower rpm's equal better gas mileage? I'm no mechanic, but it seems to me that lower rpm's means less fuel being used, giving better MPG. Am I wrong?

Another improvement I would like to see on future Ventures is ABS. I didn't think it was necessary until I rode the 08 HD EG at work. MAN what a difference in panic stops (if you can stand the noise). I have an 05 HD Ultra with a sidecar that does not have it. It is a huge safety feature, and an almost must have for my next bike.

Finally, (I hope Yamaha monitors these boards), my biggest concern for any future RSV's is actually styling. New features and gadgets are important to me, but if it's ugly, like a certain "Other American Motorcycle's" bike is, (don't mean to offend, just my opinion), I won't want it. I love the styling, comfort, performance, etc of the current edition, but would love to see some upgrade without them making it look like a machine from I-Robot.

Lower rpm's does not equal better gas mileage, IF you have to have the throttle more open to get the hp/torque you need.

I'd be ok with a new bike that looked more like a first gen, as long as it was as comfortable to ride as a 2nd gen. I expect Yamaha is going to have to do some streamlining to improve fuel efficiency.

High on my wish list is an adjustable windshield.

i'm not answering for squidley....but an engine has an operating rpm range where it is making the best power and torque for maximum efficiency....i believe the venture's engine likes a min of 3500 up to 5000..and still pulls good even higher, but i'm talking efficiency not max acceleration......laymen's terms....you may be operating at a lower rpm, but your throttle is open more than what it would be if you were at a higher rpm....so you can be using more gas.....example...i run at 55mph in 4th gear...my rpm is , say, 3800 rpm's...throttle is open 1/4.....jump into 5th gear, rpm's drop to 3000, now i open the throttle more to compensate .......there is a crossover point where too high rpm's will give less gas mileage....but the idea is to stay in an engine's power curve....which is why we have gears....

Squidley,

I know this is slightly off topic, but indulge me, if you will. Why wouldn't lower rpm's equal better gas mileage? I'm no mechanic, but it seems to me that lower rpm's means less fuel being used, giving better MPG. Am I wrong?

i'm not answering for squidley....but an engine has an operating rpm range where it is making the best power and torque for maximum efficiency....i believe the venture's engine likes a min of 3500 up to 5000..and still pulls good even higher, but i'm talking efficiency not max acceleration......laymen's terms....you may be operating at a lower rpm, but your throttle is open more than what it would be if you were at a higher rpm....so you can be using more gas.....example...i run at 55mph in 4th gear...my rpm is , say, 3800 rpm's...throttle is open 1/4.....jump into 5th gear, rpm's drop to 3000, now i open the throttle more to compensate .......there is a crossover point where too high rpm's will give less gas mileage....but the idea is to stay in an engine's power curve....which is why we have gears....

Don,

jlh3rd has explained it as well as I could. There is a point where an engine is designed to create optimum HP and torque, the sweet spot as many of us call it. I know it seems to counter common sense that more rpms is better fuel economy, but it has a lot to do with how you personally ride the bike. With a lower rpm outside of the sweet spot your compensating more with the throttle to stay at the same speed. You might not think that you are, but I find this to be the case. Thats why I dont put the bike in 5th gear unless I'm doing 65 mph or better as it would just lug the engine.

I hope that some of these tidbit help a bit, I know it took me a while to figure it out. I actually rode in different gears to see what the mileage would do.

Squidley,

Another improvement I would like to see on future Ventures is ABS. I didn't think it was necessary until I rode the 08 HD EG at work. MAN what a difference in panic stops (if you can stand the noise). I have an 05 HD Ultra with a sidecar that does not have it. It is a huge safety feature, and an almost must have for my next bike.

Finally, (I hope Yamaha monitors these boards), my biggest concern for any future RSV's is actually styling. New features and gadgets are important to me, but if it's ugly, like a certain "Other American Motorcycle's" bike is, (don't mean to offend, just my opinion), I won't want it. I love the styling, comfort, performance, etc of the current edition, but would love to see some upgrade without them making it look like a machine from I-Robot.

I agree with you...in my 39 years of life, from driving cmv's for 12 yrs, to an assortment of cars and trucks. I have NEVER seen a fuel efficient vehicle that ran at a high rpm. Why are most manufacturer's going to six speeds? They lower the rpm's increasing fuel mileage regardless of where the sweet spot is (excluding large truck engines).

I would be willing to bet money, if they would put in a 6th gear that would lower the rpm's by 300-500 rpm's at 70 mph you would get better fuel mileage. For some situations, you may need to stay in 5th if you've got alot more ground pressure from a passenger, etc. But, for those that run light having the option of another gear couldn't hurt.