Aw come on, don't hold back, lol.

This and a lot of other things were done by po, not me.

You should see the hole drilled in the frame to hold the side panel.

Oh well, I put a message into Sky Doc to see if he has any new fuse block kits left.

But I love the bike and I want to make it right or as close to right as I can.

Best as I can tell yes as far as hard wired.

I will be asking a lot of questions.:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks,

Don

Hiya Don..

I will poke fun and laugh as well....er....I've seen worse. On mine!! It's a PO thing I tell ya. You should have seen some of the "Mods" the PO did to mine. No wonder it was stored for nine years. LOL!!

The guys around here will get ya through it....they always do. Their help kept me from being called "Sparky".

The time comes when ya quit asking questions........we will know you're out riding it.

Later

Mike

Looks like 3 atc fuses tucked back in there replacing glass fuses, although not very good job, and likely to cause intermittant open problems, not hard wired, and safer than if it was. Most definatly do skydoc17's fuse mod, with soldered splices, not crimps.

I am more concerned about what looks like self resetting circuit breaker in front of photo. looks like spliced to red/white and brown, which is ignition circuit, and likely installed circuit breaker due to continous blowing of fuses. If your TCI is not already toast, it likely won't take much more. I would replace circuit breaker ASAP with fuse, as fuses blow faster than breakers, and don't keep trying to reset with fault on the line.

Probably going to have to track down what blows fuses in ign ckt. Prime candate to ign coil breaking down as it heats

Corrosion on battery seems to reflect may be near end of life, get cleaned up real good and have autoparts/battery store do load test.

While you have the battery out, get your TCI out and relocate to top of airbox, and plan on doing diode replacement internal TCI, or maybe consider IGNTECH option.

Sorry for all the bad news, but better to get it fixed at the home40 rather than on the road somewhere. I have a feeling you are going to learn a lot about your electrical system:o. Great bike, don't give up on it.

Find wiring diagram for your bike in tech libary, download and print for your reference.

:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

I am worried it is to far messed up for me to even begin to repair. Ugh, time for a beer or 12.

Let me ask this. Is there someone on this forum in the Southeast that I could trailer this bike to and have them go through it?

I am looking at the following:

Repair the electrical system

Replace front and rear tires

Replace brakes front and rear

Overall check to ensure safety and reliability

I really like the bike, it fits Linda and I and these Ventures look really cool, and face it, you don't see these that often.

If there is someone who could do this, send me an email at sc750virago@charter.net

Thanks to all,

Don

:Venture:

Muffinman is the guy to go to, he lives in NC. Tell him VR sent you..............:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

I am worried it is to far messed up for me to even begin to repair. Ugh, time for a beer or 12.

Let me ask this. Is there someone on this forum in the Southeast that I could trailer this bike to and have them go through it?

I am looking at the following:

Repair the electrical system

Replace front and rear tires

Replace brakes front and rear

Overall check to ensure safety and reliability

I really like the bike, it fits Linda and I and these Ventures look really cool, and face it, you don't see these that often.

If there is someone who could do this, send me an email at sc750virago@charter.net

Thanks to all,

Don

:Venture:

Find wiring diagram for your bike in tech libary, download and print for your reference.

:080402gudl_prv:

Here is link to wiring diagrams.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42358

Replacing fuses is a fairly easy job.

I used inline fuses holders for mine They are about $3.50 at O'Rielys Auto Parts. I liked the ones at O'Rielys better than Auto Zone. They are for 20 amp circuits and below. Auto Zones are for 30 amp circuits. The 20 amp ones are big enough and the slightly smaller wire is easier to manipulate and solder.

The glass fuses are used on the Accy, Headlight, Ignition Signal & taillight circuits.

There is already an ATC style fuse block in the MKII's that is probably still OK. On the 89, the ATC block holds the fuses for the Radio, Radio backup, Fan and Hazard circuits.

I added a terminal block from O'Rielys for the Accessory hookups. I mounted to a piece of 1/4" UHMW (plastic) and fastened it under battery strap. This replaced the fuse block that was mounted under strap, so it maintained tension on strap. Attached picture shows added Accy block.

Gary

Do what Dragonrider says and give Jeff a call, he's unemployed right now and has a lot of time on his hands.........

Right Mini??

Seriously, he's the one guy I go to on here with my bike problems (don't let him know that tho, he'll get a big head!)

Aw come on, don't hold back, lol.

This and a lot of other things were done by po, not me.

You should see the hole drilled in the frame to hold the side panel.

Oh well, I put a message into Sky Doc to see if he has any new fuse block kits left.

But I love the bike and I want to make it right or as close to right as I can.

Best as I can tell yes as far as hard wired.

I will be asking a lot of questions.:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks,

Don

Ask away!! We got more answers!! Your will love that thing when you get it right.

WELCOME!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Skydoc's kit all is well in fuse land. Take a look at the before and after pics.

Also my helper pic.

At least I have 1 less thing to worry about. Actually 3 less things, new tires front and rear!!!

Thank you skydoc your kit is dead on. I did have to add some jumpers to add wire length so I could reach the new panel. I also labeled ABCDE down the left side and 12345 down the right side and added the diagram to my storage compartment in case sometime down the road I sell the bike. You know so A1, B2, C3 etc.

Hey Don,

Very Nicely DONE my friend! For a bit more of a finished look, Take some electrical tape and wrap the wires together on each side of the fuse box back to the harness. Other than that, you did an excellent job! The neatest thing about the fuse box kit is, when you read the last sentence on the instructions, you are ready to start your bike!

Great Job! :thumbsup2:

Earl