IGNORED

Best way to improve front brakes while keepng integrated system

I'm researching the best way to drastically improve front brakes while keeping my integrated brakes intact. I really like the integrated system as it keeps the rear from locking and does a pretty good job stopping the bike. My front brake is "OK", but I know it can be a lot better.

Options to consider mixing and matching

R1 Caliper

14mm master cylinder from 03 FJR or newer Star V Twin

EBC HH pads in stock caliper

Stainless lines

I know I can use the 14mm master in conjunction with a pair of R1's as many have done, but then I lose the integrated brakes. Anyone put on a single R1 right front caliper and did you use stock or 14mm master? Stainless will be a must.

Any real world experience is appreciated.

Well Grisolm,

If you like what the integrated system is doing for you on your 88, my suggestion would be go to EBC HH pads and stainless lines. But to put stainless lines in this configuration, you will be required to have Cycle Brakes build you a set of custom lines since I don't think anyone ever offered a set for the 1st gen. The line from the metering valve to the front left caliper is not a common line and also includes the bleeder valve up at the neck.

But stainless lines would be much more simple if you delinked the front brakes, where you will need a larger front brake reservoir for another 4 pistons. Unless your current 4 piston calipers are shot, there is no reason to go to R1s because your calipers are just as good. If you did go to R1s and keep them integrated, you will need to replace all 3, as well as go to stainless lines because their banjo bolts are on the side and require straight connections.

But like you probably know, the only way you are going to get maximum braking from your front calipers is to apply both brakes at the same time.

Hope this helps in your decision,

Rick

Well Grisolm,

If you like what the integrated system is doing for you on your 88, my suggestion would be go to EBC HH pads and stainless lines. But to put stainless lines in this configuration, you will be required to have Cycle Brakes build you a set of custom lines since I don't think anyone ever offered a set for the 1st gen. The line from the metering valve to the front left caliper is not a common line and also includes the bleeder valve up at the neck.

But stainless lines would be much more simple if you delinked the front brakes, where you will need a larger front brake reservoir for another 4 pistons. Unless your current 4 piston calipers are shot, there is no reason to go to R1s because your calipers are just as good. If you did go to R1s and keep them integrated, you will need to replace all 3, as well as go to stainless lines because their banjo bolts are on the side and require straight connections.

But like you probably know, the only way you are going to get maximum braking from your front calipers is to apply both brakes at the same time.

Rick

I beleive Rocket ordered the ones for my 85 G1 from Buckeye and they came with the extra bleeder up at the top of the triple tree to make bleeding easier too.

Brian

Yep...The HH pads and SS lines will be a huge change. I can lock front and back if I whack 'em hard. Just the front brake alone with the SS line will will be such a different feel it will surprise you.

I got my set from Rick at Buckeye Performance custom fit for the 1st gen. That included the front bleeder for the metering valve on the back of the tree. Big help in bleeding.

http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/p04.htm

I think Skydoc_17 here is involved in making lines also.

I had an incident a couple of weeks back that proved to me that the brakes are more than effective.

Mike

Well Grisolm,

If you like what the integrated system is doing for you on your 88, my suggestion would be go to EBC HH pads and stainless lines. But to put stainless lines in this configuration, you will be required to have Cycle Brakes build you a set of custom lines since I don't think anyone ever offered a set for the 1st gen.

Rick

Nope, I have a set for my 86 from Buckeye, waiting to be installed next month, after I get back to base & work. I am currently keeping an eye on the rooster, prior to Bubber geting here in a weeks time, for PIP.

Based on the responses I'll go with EBC HH in the right front caliper and a DIY stainless line just for that circuit. Less than $100 for all. There is a company that makes a mix and match stainless kit. You order the correct banjo's and the line for your application. The banjo has a special fitting, cut the line to length, insert and tighten the fitting.

YES, SS lines and HH pads are the deal for sure. BUT,If you delink the brakes on the 1300. Be aware the piston sizes on the 1300 1st gen calipers are NOT the same on both fronts!. And the pads will wear faster on one side vs. the other.

Edited by jasonm.

YES, SS lines and HH pads are the deal for sure. BUT,If you delink the brakes on the 1300. Be aware the piston sizes on the 1300 1st gen calipers are NOT the same on both fronts!. And the pads will wear faster on one side vs. the other.

Like they don't wear at different rates with integrated brakes.

And one of the biggest hazards with linked brakes on an MKI is the anti dives are independent on the front forks. If you only use the front brake, only the one forks anti dive engages.

Same with only use of rear brake.

This was resolved with the electric anti dives on the MKII's

Gary