IGNORED

Front and rear tire removal

Well I have new tires coming tomorrow and I have to take off my tires and take them to the dealer for mounting and balancing I found the tech article by frebird on rear tire removal is there one for the front tire? Are there any others for reference and what other things should I be doing with the tires off besides greasing the rear splines

Jeff

Well I have new tires coming tomorrow and I have to take off my tires and take them to the dealer for mounting and balancing I found the tech article by frebird on rear tire removal is there one for the front tire? Are there any others for reference and what other things should I be doing with the tires off besides greasing the rear splines

Jeff

I took the '99 to the dealer and let them grunt. I figured it usually runs around $30 bucks per tire to have them mount and balance off the bike, and they charged $90 on the bike. No brainer, for the extra $30 bucks they can do the work. My little attempt at helping the economy..... :)

The dealers around here charge 110 on the bike and no charge off the bike as long as I buy tires from them. I wanted to learn how to do this and saving 110 bucks is a plus right now. I bought Avon Venoms front and back stock size for $314.00

Here is an article step by step by Gary L Mace. Looks very good. (Thanks Gary)

Removing The Front Wheel Author: Gary L Mace (Venturous)

Views: 4116 Votes: 10

Print

Rate This: Excellent Very Good Good Fair Poor

Removing The Front Wheel

First, lift and safely secure your bike so that you can work on it.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/mace_frontwheel1.jpg

Now, remove any accessories that may cover the axle bolt and axle clamp bolt which are located on the side opposite your kickstand. In my case, I needed to remove my axle bolt covers, rotor covers and caliper cover. Stock bikes would not have any of these steps.

Remove the two bolts which attach the front brake calipers to the forks. Carefully slide the calipers off of brake rotor. You may wish to cover calipers with a shop rag and support away from bike with a stiff wire to prevent scratching the fender as you work.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/mace_frontwheel6.jpg

Next, loosen the axle clamp bolt as shown below.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/mace_frontwheel2.jpg

Next loosen and fully remove the axle as shown below. Be careful when pulling the axle through the forks and wheel so you do not mar the axle threads.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/mace_frontwheel3.jpg

Now the front wheel should be disconnected from your bike. You may now remove it carefully. It may be necessary to raise your bike further. Do so with care.

As an added safety precaution, while I have the front wheel off of the bike, I replace the axle then place a jack stand centered under the axle in the event my lift should lose pressure. ( ya never know when your cat or kid will bump that release lever! ) I do not allow the axle to rest on the jack stand! I lower the lift until the axle is sitting about 1/4" above the jack stand head.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/mace_frontwheel4.jpg

Now is a good time to have a close look at your brake linings and inspect your calipers.

http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/mace_frontwheel5.jpg

To re-install the front wheel, reverse the procedures above using the torque specifications shown on the pictures.

Good luck!

Last update: 10:36 PM Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Front tire removal is very easy. Once you have the bike safely on the jack, just barely take the weight off the tire. Then follow these steps.

1. Remove left and right brake calipers. Hang these fom the forks with a piece of wire so you wont strain the hose.

2. Remove axle nut.

3. Loosen axle pinch bolt

4. Remove axle bolt. Pay CLOSE attention to the placement of spacers. I leave my spacers on the axle bolt so I will have them in the proper order.

5. Raise bike up until tire will come out from under fender..

Reverse the process to reinstall. However, tighten axle pinch bolt AFTER you torque the axle bolt. The torque specs are in the Manual. :thumbsup:

If I've left anything out, someone will chime in and tell you....:thumbsup2:

I took the '99 to the dealer and let them grunt. I figured it usually runs around $30 bucks per tire to have them mount and balance off the bike, and they charged $90 on the bike. No brainer, for the extra $30 bucks they can do the work. My little attempt at helping the economy.....

Goose had shown me how to change a rear tire on my bike when I was down there visiting him in May/June this year.. I had never actually seen anyone do this 'manually' and yeah, HE makes it look simple enough if you have all the right tools which after 3 tire changes makes it cost effective.. however, I think that like you, I'll toss my extra into the economy and have them do it for me.. But Goose had taught me what to look for when having the shop do my tires to ensure it's done properly, like scraping the rim of old tire residue and such..

What I thought was really interesting was watching Goose 'hand balance' the tire.. I have to admit I was a little dubious of this being a precise method of doing it but the wheel felt fine during the trip home. I had to remove the wheel for something not too long after I got home and out of curiosity took the wheel to the local shop I deal with and asked them to check the balance.. just out of curiosity.. and how about that.. no changes required.. Dang, that guy is good ;) And the tire has been doing fine ever since Texas.

Thanks again Goose!

I took the '99 to the dealer and let them grunt. I figured it usually runs around $30 bucks per tire to have them mount and balance off the bike, and they charged $90 on the bike. No brainer, for the extra $30 bucks they can do the work. My little attempt at helping the economy..... :)

I use to do that until I bought the equipment to do it myself. Ive done a half dozen tires now and think I'm way ahead in the bank. The dealer never did more than just change the tire. I do all the greasing ect and its a good time to really clean the hidey parts on the bike.

Just wanted to thank everybody who chimed in with advise on this and a special thanks to Goose who I called last night with a few questions and he was nice enough to help me out.

If it weren't for this site I don't know if I would even try to do this myself.

Thanks again

jeff