IGNORED

Trade gone bad, whats fair?

qdude

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51456&highlight=pipes

I traded these pipes to another member. Our agreement was he would pay shipping both ways. The stock pipes came a few days before I left for Sturgis. I took off the Bubs and installed the factory pipes. The job took 4 hours, should have been easier but it wasn't the stock pipes didn't want to fit. Getting the Bubs ready to ship I noticed some surface rust spots on the bottoms near the seams. It was not noticeable when I took the pictures but the removed pipes were not pristine near the seams and there were rust spots that appeared to be from rock strikes.

It was time to leave for Sturgis on that day I mailed back the Bub pipes. Now the trade partner wants me to pay all return shipping on both sets of pipes. I am not going to do that but I WANT TO BE FAIR ALSO.

So Ruffy and Big Tom maybe it was best I didn't trade with you.

Any ideas

They're exhaust pipes. The get hot, cold, and wet. They're close to the road getting knicked by rocks. If the bike is ridden at all, they're going to rust a little bit, especially along seams, connections and hardware.

Usually a little elbow and wax will remove it though.

Also, aren't Bubs known for their inferior plating?

They're exhaust pipes. The get hot, cold, and wet. They're close to the road getting knicked by rocks. If the bike is ridden at all, they're going to rust a little bit, especially along seams, connections and hardware.

Usually a little elbow and wax will remove it though.

Also, aren't Bubs known for their inferior plating?

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: (Even though it is coming from some sub-human missing link thing :rasberry:)

Don't believe that it can be done - check out the pictures. And I thought these were beyond saving. The only spots that I couldn't manage to get at were the areas around where they mount (but after really close and further inspection, it appears to be mostly cosmetic), but since they aren't on my bike all that often, I don't really care - if it breaks I'll find some way to patch it and fix it or live without.

In my opinion, if the 'rust spots' DON'T come out, then MAYBE you ought to consider subsidizing SOME of the return. :confused24:

What is the objection to the other person keeping the pipes? Is it purely the cosmetic blemishes? Do they not like the sound? Change their mind?

EDIT: Okay so the before and after pictures that I had thought that I had, I don't. I can take after pictures, but that won't do you any good. I have shown some before and afters of a different set of pipes that I cleaned up - not the spots that aren't shiny are the places where the internal parts were riveted into place. The pipes that I had were rusted, what looked like, pretty bad - but they came out just as shiny as these did.

Well, this is just my opinion and I am the first to admit that I am certainly not always right. BUT...if the trade was made based upon your pictures and description of the Bub's being in excellent or even "pristine" condition and then you discovered that they are NOT in the condition that you described them then yes, I feel that you should swap back if that is what the other party desires. While some may think that rust spots and rust along the seams are normal, that really doesn't matter if you described them as being like new or in excellent condition. He paid shipping both ways the first time based upon your description of the mufflers. You have admitted that they were not as good as you thought. I think that it's only fair that you pay the shipping this time.

I must be missing something; you got a used set of OEM pipes because you wanted quiet; he's got a used set of Bub's, 'cause he wants loud(er). You didn't mention what condition the OEM's were in, were they pristine, spotless, shiny? But you mentioned that there were some small spots on the Bub's, which, as mentioned, will likely buff/polish out.

So the question is, why does he want his old pipes back?:confused24:

Here's a thought: Big Tom, Ruffy, either of you still interested, maybe you can pay shipping and get some pipes after all.

The simplest fix would be:

CLR removes lime, calcium and RUST.

Afterwards, Use a good wax and address problem areas regularly and problem solved....

That being said...

"sometimes pipes rust from the inside out" specially on 4 cycle chrome motorcycle pipes. Back in the day we use to pour a little oil in them and roll it around coating the inside of the pipes, then lean them against the wall till they drain. They will smoke for a couple of miles but after that, you'll get quite a few years of service out of them...

After all, I'll bet you've never seen a 2 cycle motorcycle pipe rust out now have you?

I'd Better WATCH OUT now. The environmental police is gonna be all over this one...

:bluesbrother:

Hey "It wasn't Me!"

He wants his old pipes back and me to pay shipping both ways. He never did pay for the shipping of my pipes to him.

The reason I choose these pipes and this guy was he said he would pay shipping both ways, he took them off when he first bought the bike.

My thoughts are along the lines of: these pipes were a huge pain to install, he said he took them off when his bike was new so he has a different workable exhaust, and I don't want to pay any shipping ..... so perhaps I send him some $, but i just don't know what is fair because the Bubs were fine ... and with new tips no corrosion or flaws would be visible.

Edited by qdude

What a mess!

I used to run a trade (barter) exchange and was in the middle of a lot of disputes. (Big reason why I USED to run a barter exchange)

In the original ad you stated "Bubs are the muffler pipe only and are in good shape no damage. The add on tips are flaking a bit. About 10,000 miles on them"

I'm sure you did not mislead him intentionally, but you did misrepresent the condition of the pipes. There was damage and rust.

BUT.....in your defense.....you stated that there were 10,000 miles on them...so the buyer should have expected they would not be in brand new conditon!

Were the stock pipes you gotlike brand new? Were there any marks, rust or flaking on them? If the stock pipes like were brand new...then I would think that some kind of "make up" would be in order.

But then...if he never did pay for the shipping as he agreed to do....he never lived up to his part of the original agreement!

If the buyer wants to reverse the trade....then I think you should BOTH be on the hook to pay the shipping back.

Sometimes doing the right thing is hard!

Just my :2cents:

My thought thoughts are since the other party has not paid for the shipping that you did and now wants out of the deal I would say that when the bubs are back (in the same shape you sent them) you'll ship his mufflers back in the same shape you received them. That way the cost is split evenly.Paying for a set of stock pipes over a set of custom pipes, well the customs are worth much more in the market place.

Dueling Pistols--------at 40 yds.-------ye 'ole'single-shot,black powder-------------we can book ya at Big Tom's: mini rally this wkend--------and draw a large crowd!!!!!------p.s.-------I b selling tickets!!!!!! also available ----your fav-o rite 'adult libation' beverages-------Come one,Come ALL--------:cool10::sun1::clap2::usa:

Paying for a set of stock pipes over a set of custom pipes, well the customs are worth much more in the market place.

Since Qdude prefers to make this a "Public" discussion rather than working

this out between us:

I will be posting pictures of the Bub mufflers tonight after work. When you see the pictures, then I welcome opinions on which are worth more and what would be a fair

settlement to this issue. It is only fair that you get the complete picture before making any statements on what is worth more and what would be a fair settlement.

My mufflers were in excellent condition, No Scratches, Dents and No Rust. The RSTD Tips were not peeling chrome. I only wish I had taken some pictures of them before mailing them off.

RSTD_MN

Honestly no need to make this into a wizzing match (my pipes are in better shape and more expensive than yours). I do agree unless previous attempts were made to work it out between each other, no need to air it out here.

Overall if qdude paid for shipping of his pipes to rstd_mn and if rstd_mn paid for shipping of his pipes to qdude, then go back to square one and each pay for shipping of the pipes back to each other. I can understand why he is asking for it since what he got was not what was advertised.

I had a similar issue when I had my VTX. I put a H-D fairing on it. Before I traded the bike for the Venture, I took it off to sell. After I took it off, I noticed a scratch that I hadn't seen before. I had posted pics of it and someone said he wanted it. After I noticed the scratch, I sent a pic of it to the perspective buyer to see if he was still ok with it before we completed the trade. Thankfully he was as he was going to have it repainted anyway.

I just have to give my opinion now..

As some of you know, I started and maintain the free parts section of this site. For about 3 and a half years I paid all postage out of my pocket no matter what the part requested was, or how much it weighed.

I know this was MY doing, and not anyone elses..however I learned from it and want to share something that relates to your problem.

Short and to the point.

Dont worry about the little things..

I found that by just paying the $8.00 $10.00 or $15.00 for shipping there was never any argument between me and the requester.

I have paid to ship parts to the requester only to have him return them to the sender for which I had to pay the shipping again..this has happened three times to me..

I just pay it and never say anything about it and a few days later, I feel good inside.

I have learned to do what makes ME feel good..

SO..I ask you to do the same..Do what will make you feel good inside and never worry about the "little things"

Life is way to short to worry about a couple bucks...

I am sure you (as well as I have) spent money foolishly over the years buying this or that and never really needed it..

Rstd... actually airing out differences openly is in no way a bad deal, it's very honest. I am 60 and i have no intention of changing out any more exhaust pipes, I don't have a lift and my rebuilt shoulder is no friend of the concrete floor. So my friend, we both entered this with honest intentions, you offered the best trade, the condition of my pipes was worse than what I described, but the pipes still work.

If you want to come change em back out I am completely fine with that. Otherwise we are looking at a $ compensation and I am willing to send $80 at this point, the price of a new set of bub tips.

Folks,

I am going to close this thread, I have seen this too many times in the past and we dont need to go into an open discussion. There is nothing worse for any website than airing dirty laundry. It will polarize people on both sides of the issue. The question was an honest one and now it's up to the 2 involved to take care of this matter privately.