There was someone making up heavier battery cables (lonestarmedic) but he's "expired".

is there a " how to" anywhere on how to make the new cable set?

Is there anyone else making and selling them?

If you see this...how much including shipping to Canada?

I used to make them years ago, but JB took it over and he's not on here much anymore. If we have a great need for a decent amount more I'll make up a few sets if there is any interest. It's a labor of love as there isn't much profit in it for the time that is put into making them.

It's a labor of love as there isn't much profit in it

Did I tell ya......"I love you man!":smile5:

I gotta get a set....being cheap (read broke) is such a drag!

I would appreciate a how to.

It's probably easier to make up than lunch but I just don't know how!

[/center]

Did I tell ya......"I love you man!":smile5:

I gotta get a set....being cheap (read broke) is such a drag!

I would appreciate a how to.

It's probably easier to make up than lunch but I just don't know how!

Steve,

It's not that hard to do, if you have the right components. I used 4 gauge battery cable and 1/4" hole 4 gauge copper ends. I also used a product called a solder slug and soldered the cables into the ends. You would need 2 lengths of the 4 gauge cable 34" long and 1 pc 5" in length. Some folks have crimped the ends onto the cables, but I liked to solder them as I know they wouldn't loosen up.

I'll see if I can come up with a better how to or see about getting some materials and make some up. I imagine as copper has gone through the roof the price will have gone up to make them. I used to make them for $40 with $5 shipping in the cont USA $7.50 to Canada. I imagine that I might be able to do it for $45 to $50 per set ready to install.

I was waiting for LoanStarMedic to make me a set.

Back in March there was a bunch of interest and he posted that he had just purchased a bunch of materials to make up some sets. That was the last that we heard from him. I do not know if someone could get the materials from him and start making up sets for those that are not good at doing this type of thing.

I was going to make up a set using 4Ga welding cable (the welding cable is more flexible than battery cable). I just never found a source for the same offset flag type terminals. It looks like there is room for straight terminals that you can get anywhere.

I have paid my subscription so I can reply. I gave up on the cable project after receiving notes via a hotmail and a gmail account. I was told I was not welcome on this site. Seems I charge too much for cables and make cheap stuff. Now, in order to get my private e-mail it had to be a paid member. Ticked me off. I always thought I made a good product. Spent time to buy in bulk and get the best price. Even gave away a set or two. Like most folks, I even give away parts.

I have about $350.00 worth of cable parts under my bench. Figured to sell all of it on e-bay or something. Did not really care. A nice member from Canada asked for a set this week. So, I am going to send them. Right now, I have a bum arm and cannot run a crimper well. Haven't ridden since June. Should be better soon. Now that I have let my temper de-fuse, I will get back to making cables. I will make them up then offer them for sale. It is a labor of love not profit.

JB

I installed J.B.'s (Lonestarmedic's) cables and they seemed absolutely fine. Well worth the price!

And for those cheap complainers - the price of the copper welding cable alone has to be at least half the cost of the battery cable set.

Edited by safetyguy

Have you checked the generic offering at Canadian Tire ?

I bought some from there, selected by desired gauge and length, and all has been fine.

Only cost a few bucks and was close to home.

Worked well for me.

Brian H.

JB,

If you want to get out of it let me know, we can see what you have and work out buying you out. If the folks that complained about the cost of the cables are reading this. Make a set for yourself and see how much money is involved. Make sure you add what your time is worth, I make $20 hr at work, so my time is worth atleast that much and it's over an hour to make a set of cables. :2cents:

I have paid my subscription so I can reply. I gave up on the cable project after receiving notes via a hotmail and a gmail account. I was told I was not welcome on this site. Seems I charge too much for cables and make cheap stuff. Now, in order to get my private e-mail it had to be a paid member. Ticked me off. I always thought I made a good product. Spent time to buy in bulk and get the best price. Even gave away a set or two. Like most folks, I even give away parts.

I have about $350.00 worth of cable parts under my bench. Figured to sell all of it on e-bay or something. Did not really care. A nice member from Canada asked for a set this week. So, I am going to send them. Right now, I have a bum arm and cannot run a crimper well. Haven't ridden since June. Should be better soon. Now that I have let my temper de-fuse, I will get back to making cables. I will make them up then offer them for sale. It is a labor of love not profit.

JB

JB, well I'll be d^%^$#@; you're back. Good to see (read) you're here. For those that set you off complaining about either the cost or the quality, let them either make their own or find their own. Bunch of cry babies anyway. Also, for all others, I, too, installed a set of cables JB made and my slow starting problem is a past thing. Good upgrade with excellent larger capacity cables.

TTYL JB.

I have paid my subscription so I can reply. I gave up on the cable project after receiving notes via a hotmail and a gmail account. I was told I was not welcome on this site. Seems I charge too much for cables and make cheap stuff. ----- Right now, I have a bum arm and cannot run a crimper well. Haven't ridden since June. Should be better soon. Now that I have let my temper de-fuse, I will get back to making cables. I will make them up then offer them for sale. It is a labor of love not profit. JB

JB - I want you to know that not only was your product first rate, the way you treated me when I purchased your cables was appreciated very much. Glad to see you are back and I hope you are back in the saddle with two good arms real soon.

Some folks have crimped the ends onto the cables, but I liked to solder them as I know they wouldn't loosen up.

Actually a proper crimp is stronger and more secure. If for some reason , such as a poor or corroded conection, or even an overload on a terminal, it can overheat to the point were the solder will melt and let go. Also if the copper wire and the terminal are not clean enough you may not get a proper solder joint. My preference is to properly crimp the terminal (key phrase here is properly crimp) with a quality crimping tool, and then solder it to seal out moisture etc.

:thumbsup:

I bought cables from this place when no one was making them type 3 stranding and tinned copper. I think it was about $25.00 for the three, 2 red 1 black. Cable $1.55 ft Labor $1.00 ends $1.66 ea. Heat Shrink 1.66 X2

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%20Electrical%20Supply/

If they will make custom sizes and all 3 cables for $25 I'd say go for it. There's no way I could or would sell them for that price. It might be an option to contact them and see if they would make a special "Kit" for the 1st gen that could be ordered directly through that website

:2cents:

They make custom sizes, have 1/4" & 5/16" lugs and free shipping priority mail. I think it's $25.81. I see they have terminal boots now also.

If they will make custom sizes and all 3 cables for $25 I'd say go for it. There's no way I could or would sell them for that price. It might be an option to contact them and see if they would make a special "Kit" for the 1st gen that could be ordered directly through that website

:2cents: