IGNORED

How do you deal with this?

FROG MAN

I'm talking about pulling a trailer in the rain. My first gen gets very slippery riding two up in the rain. Now add a trailer behind that plus your scoot is tracking in the grease spot. My first choice is to pull off and wait. I find just traveling on wet pavement I run much slower then say others in the group.

I'm not going to compromise safety above common sense and good judgement. Were leaving for Bristol Virginia Tomorrow then on to Asheville Friday. Coming back home on Sunday and guess what. It's calling for rain tomorrow and tomorrow night with heavy rain on Sunday.I told the wife we were taking the pickup and she agreed. I think my retirement scoot may be a trike.

DOnt let anyone talk you into doing something youre not comfortable with. If you want a trike to be able to ride in the rain, do it. I dont care what anyone says, in my mind the roads feel slippery when wet, and I dont know that I would pull a trailer in the rain.

Brian:2cents:

It always takes awhile for me to get somewhat comfortable riding in the rain because I don't do it often enough. I do feel the roads get a little slippery in the rain so I slow down and keep going,but I'm not going to get crazy with speed like I have seen some do. I'll get there sometime. If your tires are known to be slippery in the rain you may want to try a different brand when its time for new ones. Oh-and I have pulled a trailer sence 86 also, and find its no different in my minds eye with it on or off in the rain.

I hear ya,

I dont much like pulling my trailer in the rain either, but it does happen. Got caught out in the rain on the way home from Maintenence Day. It was a little slippery but i think that was from the fact that it hadnt rained enough to get the oil of the road yet. But do what makes you comfortable. Its your ride not ours.

David

Do what you feel is best for you Froggy. Safety can't be compromised and if those tires are that slippery without towing I certaintly wouldn't pull a trailer either. It just isn't worth the risk imo.

Now if you're towing a trailer with a trike that's a whole new ballgame. I've yet to have had any traction problems towing my trailer in the rain. For me on the trike in the rain visibility is the limiting factor. That and the amount of trafiic being ridden in. Even then I do slow down.

Larry

I have not experimented with tire pressure just run 40 lb in both. I have slid the scoot probably 5 or 6 times just riding two up. I'm more concerned about poor visibility and sudden stops that may be required and Yes on major highways.

MamaMo's 99 with voyager kit tows great.We took it to Florida a few years ago in some heavy down pours with no problems. I really like the stopping power cause you can come down hard on the front brake with no problems. Maybe I can get it back together this winter.

I'm really careful with the added responsibility of bringing the wife.We both love to ride but safety rules to enhance the riding experience.Nothing worse then her nerved up and uncomfortable with whats going on. I get enough backseat driving just trying to keep up with Yammer and Skid. LOL

I rode my Kruz in the rain in Lake george but never felt too slippery. But like you said with the trailer your forced to ride tHe middle of the road. Trike are great Froggy sidecars too. But i go along with everyone else safety first if the rains going to be steady take the truck !

From the training manual of the course that I took some years ago:

-For the 1st 20 minutes or so get off the road, there is too much oil that needs to washed off first. Depends on how much rain there is, but if it's not much, longer is better than shorter.

-Slow down a bit,, it's safer, but don't start bothering traffic, then get out of the way.

-On wet roads,,, not loaded with oil and such, MC tires have 95% of their traction ability, considering the pressures are right.

Now in my opinion only, your front tire has too much air, I would go for about 32 or 34, but not 40,, but that's only my opinion, and I don't have any problems in the rain, with either Venoms or Dunlops E-III. And I don't know how much weight you carry with 2 up, but 40 sounds to be lots,,, only my opinion of course,,, again. The 2 of us weight about 420 with me being the one that is short changed in that department.

Back when younger, my 750 super sport rode better and more stable in the rain when I had my trailer attached. It was a small car trailer with a car topper on it. Made to go together. I loved that little trailer, but it was WIDE compared to the Bushtek I have now.

If your bike feels more wiggly with the trailer in rain than without, is it loaded right (at least 10% of total trailer/load weight on hitch) or loaded equal side to side? Are the wheel bearings adjusted the same both sides and tire air pressure the same on both sides? Is the axle on the trailer straight? Is the hitch or the ball tight?

In my experience, unless you are hauling too heavy a load, or something is wrong, you should not feel less stable with a trailer, maybe the opposite.