IGNORED

Gold Wing impressions

eazyduzzit

Test rode a 2010 Wing today, and whether or not you care :) here's what I thought.

Turned bars to the left to exit parking lot. Oops windshield didn't turn :think: it felt odd, but honestly it was the last time I even noticed the frame mounted fairing.

Gave it some gas and immediately needed to shift to second. First gear seems almost unnecessary on this bike. I feel a little cramped. Is it because my feet are under me instead of out front? I can't decide.

Hit third and twisted the throttle and I was having fun. It will run. Made a right turn effortlessly. This thing handles like a much smaller bike. I was close to my house so I tried out some curvy roads I knew of nearby and man this thing just rides so "effortless" is the word that keeps coming to mind, I don't feel cramped any more.

I like the power. You can leave it in 4th gear and go about any speed you want, and the brakes are amazing.

This thing is so quiet and smooooth you can listen to the radio and it's almost like being in a car. That's the part I can't decide if I like or not.

I pull up the ramp to get on the interstate and 2 Harleys pass quickly and are probably 100 yards ahead before I get halfway up the ramp.

I give it some gas and I'm on their tail in seconds. I'm at 90 but it feels so comfortable I feel like I'm going slower.

I get off at the next exit and head back towards the dealership. The way I'm seated it feels like my toes are pointed down, and I wonder if I leaned enough to drag a peg would I scrape the toe of my tennis shoe? I look down and don't think so.

I take time to look at all the controls, gauges and storage compartments and think it's kind of cool. Like I'm on some kind of space vehicle.

Oops I'm coming up to the dealership and I'm in the wrong lane with several cars in the other lane. No problem a little throttle and I pass 4 cars in nothing flat and change lanes. Uh oh, one of them was a cop, but he doesn't seem to care.

Pull back in and park, but wish I could keep it for a day. I don't know if I would want it for my daily rider, but it's definitely on my list.

Comfort and speed aren't the only reasons I ride. I like the feel and sound that cruisers have and the Wing doesn't, but I think I could get used to it pretty quick.

I get off at the next exit and head back towards the dealership. The way I'm seated it feels like my toes are pointed down, and I wonder if I leaned enough to drag a peg would I scrape the toe of my tennis shoe? I look down and don't think so.

On my GL1100 I have gotten my toes a time or two - it is NOT comfortable when that happens...

The seating position has stayed pretty much the same through the years, so I don't imagine the newer ones would be any different. I might ad that I wear a size 14 boot.

The foot pegs on mine went off immediately..I put on floorboards for one reason only..Toes dont point down on the floorboards,foot stays level. I put on Kuraykyn Ergo Swithblade hwy pegs and put on the 1.5 inch adapters instead of the 6 inch they came with..foot situation solved..The 2010 speedos are dead on accurate..at least mine and a few others I know are. Power in 5th is great..I like rolling thru a town at 20-25mph and rolling on the throttle without downshifting. I loved my Venture..It was a better looking bike but I wanted changes like FI,heated seats grips etc and frankly I would have bought a Venture IF Yamaha would have gotten off their rears and listened to their customers and updated..In no way would I ever bad mouth a Venture as it was one of the most dependable bikes Ive ever owned but I will admit that its a shame that in 2010 they still have the cassette deck in the dash when you cant even buy a casstte anymore. I sold my bike to a member on here,( Doesnt post much) but he is as happy as can be with the bike. I am glad of that as I hate to sale something because I always worry that MAYBE something will go wrong with it but I babied it and I know it will last as long as my Wing will..Sorry for being longwinded....

Yes the GL1800 is a power house thats for sure!! roll down to 20mph in 4th and roll back the throttle and set back and enjoy the ride no down shifting with this GOLD WING. main reason I bought the GW was for Peg's back she really loved the seats her back never hurt on the GW but for me it was rough on my knees got to the point my right knee was swelling up pretty good due to the leg position. for now I will stay with the RSV its easier on my knees I can stretch out and relax.

Do I still want a GW yes very much love the power & smooth ride it puts out just wish my knees would not bother me so much:(

Guest tx2sturgis
....I might ad that I wear a size 14 boot.

Reminds me of a joke:

Cute cowgirl in a honky-tonk bar spies a cowboy with his size 16 boots propped up on the table. She approaches, makes small talk and asks what size those boots are...and is it true what they say about a man with big feet? He replies with a wink, " Well, lets find out!"

So they go back to her place, for a little romp. In the morning, after the fun is over, she tosses him a one-hundred dollar bill. The cowboy says, "Gosh Ma'am, you dont have to PAY me for having sex with you!"

She replies angrily, "Thats not for the sex, its so you can go buy a pair of boots that FIT!"

:D

Ok...back to GW talk.....

On my GL1100 I have gotten my toes a time or two - it is NOT comfortable when that happens...

The seating position has stayed pretty much the same through the years, so I don't imagine the newer ones would be any different. I might ad that I wear a size 14 boot.

Me too!:crying:

I've had my Gl1800 Trike for about a month. The more I ride it the more I enjoy it. The wing has more of a sports car feel. It responds well and can really scoot. The worst part is how I sit on the wing but with the proper foot pegs I get along quite well. You can also correct part of this with a different seat. As the Goldwing has a sports car feel the RSV seemed more like at muscle car. I certain do not regret getting the Trike. I'm having a blast!!

My impression of the Wing was nice power and looks but poor riding position. I myself prefer frame mounted fairing as I don't like loosing rear view visiion entering a turn. The one I was on seemed to have excessive plastic creaking sounds.

Overall im,pression, very nice bike but I iked the RSV better for comfort. I still like my 1st gen MK1 better though.

Now, if you can get over the looks issue, you may want to try out a Victory Vision...

Guest retusn

I had a 2000 Wing and thought it was top heavy so I bought my 02 Venture with 11K miles on it about 3200 miles ago. After riding my Venture, dropping it twice (no damage to either me or the bike) I found out just how heavy it was.

Make a long story short, I just bought an 05 GW. I seems to have the center of gravity lower which is good for my not so good knees. I agree with the sitting position, but also agree that can be fixed.

I haven't taken pics yet, but will and post in the next day or 2.

I'm just not old enough for a Wing yet. When I need those two little wheels that hold you upright at stop signs then it's time for a Wing:big-grin-emoticon:
surely your experienced enough at your age to handle the power and sportbike handling of a wing. :rotfl::rotf::rotf::rasberry:

I was thinking about a Wing myself.

I went to the dealership, sat on one, got the whole "dealership experience"...and really liked the bike.

BUT....I'm 6'3 and just could not get my legs/feet comfortable enough to warrant buying one. While seated, my feet and knees kept hitting the engine/cowling, and it seemed like the foot controls where more "under" my body...and I felt cramped.

If I could:

1) raise the seat an inch or two ( would have to raise both seats so wife's view wouldn;t change)

2) or lower the controls an inch or two

3) or move the seat BACK an inch or two

4) or move the engine/cowling forward an inch or two

I would buy one...:fingers-crossed-emo

Just my 1/2 cent worth!

it's sort of like owning a Rolls very nice - all the bells and whisles - but the fun is gone, you've got to the end and they give you a bike can stand up all by it self. the wing isn't a motorcycle it's a car with two wheels ok if that's what blows your hair back

... all the bells and whisles - but the fun is gone, you've got to the end and they give you a bike can stand up all by it self..

:confused24::think::think:

I don't really understand this comment. Yes wings are easy to drive, but I'm pretty sure I could out maneuver my RSV with my GL1100 in a heart-beat.

How is the 'fun' gone?

If you mean that it is 'fun' to have to 'muscle' a bike around, then, I agree with you. (respectively anyways - I don't find the RSV difficult at all to handle, but when comparing the two, the wing wins, no question).

Inquiring minds want to know...

EDIT: Okay, so I managed to miss the first post you made here about the age and needing the wheels to hold you up - so upon reading this comment that I quoted, I took this comment as being a serious one. So: 1) if you were not attempting to be funny here, my question/confusion stands 2) if you were trying to be funny - then you can pretty much ignore this as I have show to be an idiot 3) :rasberry: -- just because I started riding a wing at 19... Last I checked I don't have the training wheels, but I do have a trunk rack to carry my walker.

Edited by LilBeaver

I'm just not old enough for a Wing yet. When I need those two little wheels that hold you upright at stop signs then it's time for a Wing:big-grin-emoticon:

NOBODY said anything about an age requirement to me! Dang, now I have to be on the lookout for wingcops too.:mugshot::whistling::rotf:

it's sort of like owning a Rolls very nice - all the bells and whisles - but the fun is gone, you've got to the end and they give you a bike can stand up all by it self. the wing isn't a motorcycle it's a car with two wheels ok if that's what blows your hair back

Judging from these comments I can tell you've never ridden a GL1800. Ride one for a day on some twisty roads and then come back and tell me it's not a motorcycle. With a straight face that is!

the wing isn't a motorcycle it's a car with two wheels ok if that's what blows your hair back

I don't agree with the above statement at all, in fact the Gold Wing felt much more like the bikes I rode when I was young than my RSTD does. The reclined seating position of the Royal Star is much more car like, than the sport bike feel of the GW.

I think you should ride one. It's a blast.