IGNORED

Centre Stand for RSV

Anyone here have a centre stand on their 2nd Gen RSV? Does it get in the way of anything? Easy oil drain access, ground clearances etc?

I might be able to get my hands on one, and like the thought of having the bike in an upright position when doing light maintenance on the bike.

thanks in advance..

Anyone here have a centre stand on their 2nd Gen RSV? Does it get in the way of anything? Easy oil drain access, ground clearances etc?

I might be able to get my hands on one, and like the thought of having the bike in an upright position when doing light maintenance on the bike.

thanks in advance..

Don (Freebird) used to build center stands for a while, but has ceased production. Now Dave (Ponch) is working on building a new one for my '99. You might contact him to see if he'd like to make another?? You'll need to pick up a 1stGen center stand off Ebay, and Ponch will make the mounting bracket.

thanks in advance..

Nuisances:

- jacking the bike up with a m/c jack (stand is in the way, but it is possible), The stand installs or uninstalls in about ten minutes.

- hard left hand corners & sweepers can cause the stand to drag (not an issue if you have the levelling links),

- hard to get on the stand (I drive the rear tire onto a 2 X 4, then stand the bike up rather easily (not an issue if you have the levelling links).

Benefits:

- Makes oil changes easy,

- Check your oil very easy,

- Makes a smaller foot print in the garage. W/o the stand, I put a 2 X 4 under the side stand to accomplish the same thing.

Note:

- With the levelling links installed, there is very little clearance under the rear tire.

I'm working on a center stand kit, if there's interrest.

Ponch

Guest scarylarry

Go with the jackstand out weights the benefit of a centerstand, I did consider it and after using the jackstand, the thought never enter my mind.. IMHO.

Also the jack stand takes the risk of damage out when using the MC jack..

Oh I keep a crush can in a zip lock bag for my stand on them hot days, so the side stand don't sink in asphalt I been having that trouble a lot here at work for some reason, a center stand might need a jck to rasie it out of the ashpalt..

Ok done with the editing was doing this when I was walking out the door......

Edited by scarylarry

Go with the stand out weights the benefit of a centerstand, I did consider it and after one time with the stand, the thought never enter my mind.. IMHO

Oh I keep a crush can in a zip lock bag for my stand on them hot days

Ahhhh.... HUH??

Proposed "Tennessee-to-English" translation:

Go with the stand out weights the benefit of a centerstand, I did consider it and after one time with the stand, the thought never enter my mind.. IMHO
You should consider getting a motorcycle jack. The benefits of a jack vs. a centerstand outweigh the additional cost. Once you work on the bike up on the jack you won't wish you had a center stand for working on the bike.

Oh I keep a crush can in a zip lock bag for my stand on them hot days
If you want a center stand because you're worried about your sidestand sinking into hot asphalt, just carry a crushed can in a ziplock bag... you put it under the sidestand on hot days and there are no worries about the sidestand sinking in.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Proposed "Tennessee-to-English" translation:

You should consider getting a motorcycle jack. The benefits of a jack vs. a centerstand outweigh the additional cost. Once you work on the bike up on the jack you won't wish you had a center stand for working on the bike.

If you want a center stand because you're worried about your sidestand sinking into hot asphalt, just carry a crushed can in a ziplock bag... you put it under the sidestand on hot days and there are no worries about the sidestand sinking in.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks...got it! :thumbsup2:

I have a Rivco center stand on my 06 RSV. It does a little work to get it on the stand but I do like it. Makes it great for storing in the garage, changing the oil or doing any work on the bike. I also like it for long trips when I cover it at night. Don't have to worry about someone knocking it over.

I have had it scrape on hard left turns, but not a real issue.

I also have the Rivco which I like real well. Rivco's are manufactured with an offset to the right. So the right foot can drag on hard right turns or if there is a bump in the turn. This bothered me enough that I ground the corner off the foot.

If your side stand is sinking in hot asphalt so will the center stand.

Mike

Thanks for your responses guys... I think I might pass up on it for now, still hunting for that easy lift device that you pry up on to centre lift the bike (Goose has one at his garage, what a neat device...)

What center stand device does goose have? Are there pics? Inquiring minds want to know.....and see....just because we are snoopy.

Brian

• 8 months later...

Rivco is the way to go! It does take some getting used to however. Easy to get up on the stand but if you have a "slick" garage floor like mine use a rubber mat under the stand, otherwise your bike will just slide.