IGNORED

Let's beat an old horse one more time

Hummingbird

I've been changing oil twice a year with about 1000 miles between. Last year I changed the oil and put in amsoil with the MotorKote additive. The whine became unbearable at 55-60 mph so I dumped it out and put mobile 1 back in. Now the whine is guaranteed to show up at 55mph and yesterday a chirp showed up.

Tomorrow I'm going to change oil again and this time I'm going to put Mobile 1 20w50 in it. It's really getting aggravating when people on the street stare at you and I know I'm not THAT unattractive, nor is my Venture.

If anybody has any theories on this I sure would be willing to try them. I haven't bought the oil yet but I will tomorrow.

My plan is to have a nice ride or 2 at Potato Creek w/o people staring at my bike because of the whine

Thanks in advance

Just tell them it's the "turbo waste gate" that causes the whine.

I have tried several different oils with Motor Kote the best so far has been the Yamalube® 15W-50 Full Synthetic, the worst was the most expensive. Mobile 1 for V-twins, the whine is there at every rpm even with motor kote.

I can hear the whine on my RSV even with the Bub mufflers at 65-70mph. Most of the time I just tune it out with the radio and enjoy the ride. I run Rotella T 15w40 and the bike seems to like it shifts great with no problems but I will try the 5W40 Rotella T syn. next oil change and see if it helps with the Whine?

3000 miles ago...I changed from Yamalube to the Rotella T6 oil. I also added 8oz of Motorkote.

My whine and chirping sounds improved about 50%...but I still have the sounds. However, it does seem like they are more predictable about what gear and what RPM they occur. 4th gear 48-51 mph...is the worst.

Wally

You talked bout changing to 20w-50 tomorrow...my 06 has done better on thinner oil. Either Rotella 15w-40 or the synthetic. The thinker oil made mine scream like a wild banchee. The motorkote didn't help mine either, actually started to make my clutch whine more especially during engagement.

right now I using Mobile 1 10W40 and I drained the motorkote out last year - motorkote ? biggest waste of $50 yet, for me anyway.

btw - if somebody uses motorkote and wants to buy ( CHEAP ) all but 3 or 4 oz of a 1 quart jug - look me up at Potato Creek

My next thoughts on making my 1st gen run quieter is to use a straight #50 diesel oil. I think all oil companies will promote their own oil and so convince us that what ever they are promoting is definitely the best for what ever ails our thinking at the time. It is true that one wants to stay away from ordinary car oil with all the additives, that are not present in diesel oil. I have used diesel oil now for 3 years with no problems with the clutch, but I have been using 20.50 or 20.40. Today I'm going to find me some #50 or #40 and see how that works out. Don't want to run this in cooler weather, but during the summer it might be the answer. My thought is to provide some cushioning effect for the straight cut gears in behind the clutch. Will let you know if it works. And if I don't make it to the rally, I will blame it on cupcakes with no cheesecake!!!!!!!

You talked bout changing to 20w-50 tomorrow...my 06 has done better on thinner oil. Either Rotella 15w-40 or the synthetic. The thinker oil made mine scream like a wild banchee. The motorkote didn't help mine either, actually started to make my clutch whine more especially during engagement.

:sign yeah that:

Thinner is better, at least it was on my RSV. The 5w-40 Rotella T was WAY quieter than Mobil 20w-50 synthetic or even 15w-40 Rotella dino oil.

Joe

I am a firm believer that quality oil does NOT need additives other than what it comes with.

Did you try Amsoil withOUT the Motorkote?

I run the Amsoil in my '86 VR and it helped quiet the chirp/whine.

putting a bunch of additives in quality oil usually just messes up a good thing.

Also, you may think everyone is noticing the noise as you go by, but your mufflers or other engine noise is probably what makes them look up if anything. Most motorcycles are a lot quieter to bystanders than to those riding them, with the exception of harleys and other bikes with super loud exhaust.

I thought my '86 had a loud whine/chirp and that the exhaust was just cool sounding till my son rode it around the block, and I could barely hear it.

Try quality musicians earplugs and you will enjoy the ride a lot more. Put in a good oil and just leave it alone for a while.

I have an 86 VR and I hear the whine up to about 60 mph then it completely goes away or the pitch is so high I can't hear it. This is my second first gen and I haven't had that problem at all and certainly not loud enough to be heard by bystanders. Maybe I just lucked out on these bikes.

If anybody has any theories on this I sure would be willing to try them. I haven't bought the oil yet but I will tomorrow.

My plan is to have a nice ride or 2 at Potato Creek w/o people staring at my bike because of the whine

Thanks in advance

Change gears so your running in a higher RPM. The wine will go away....

I don't know, Kinda sounds like a turbine about to be unleashed on mine.:whistling::rotf:

I don't think oil is gonna help that much.

The "I" basket may or may not help the whine factor on your bike. Yamaha will replace your existing basket with the "I" basket under warranty. Either way, you have nothing to loose. I had an "I" basket put in my bike under warranty and it helped. I called Yamaha customer service as well as the Yamaha dealership and got the basket with no problem. All it will cost you is a couple of phone calls. :2cents:

Well I just changed the oil AGAIN !! I looked for shell Rotella T at Wally World, didn't have it. As a matter of fact this particular store wrinkled their nose when I asked about motorcycle oils.

Went to my local Yamaha store and the parts clerk said that they use Suzuki 4 cycle synthetic Motorcycle racing oil in their shop for those that want synthetic and don't want to pay $20 a quart for YamaLube.

So, guess what I put in this time ??

still has a whine and a chirp but I only got to go a couple miles for a test. I did notice that the whine is toned down somewhat (still at 55 mph) but I'll find out on a longer ride.

I'll talk to my yammy mechanic in a week or so and see about getting a new "I" basket.

All I have used in mine is Rotella 15w40 dino. I have no whine to speak of.

I have read on this site where others have changed to synthetic and the whine actually got worse until they changed back to regular oil. I have not personally tried synthetic because I haven't had a reason to.

I'll talk to my yammy mechanic in a week or so and see about getting a new "I" basket.

Good plan. I was sort of surprised to see that it took so long for someone to suggest the clutch basket deal (especially since you are still under warranty).

Don't let your dealer/yammi mechanic let you think that you have to pay for ANY of this either. It ought to be completely covered under warranty.

I have found with my bike that there is more of a variation with ambient temperature than oil weight. Now, my testing has not been real thorough with respect to the oil weight, but I've changed the oil several times now (because of mileage) and have not found anything conclusively relating to a variation in only the weight or type of the oil.

Best of luck to you friend! Hopefully you'll get your basket in and have a nice and quiet bike.

:080402gudl_prv:

Good plan. I was sort of surprised to see that it took so long for someone to suggest the clutch basket deal (especially since you are still under warranty).

Don't let your dealer/yammi mechanic let you think that you have to pay for ANY of this either. It ought to be completely covered under warranty.

I have found with my bike that there is more of a variation with ambient temperature than oil weight. Now, my testing has not been real thorough with respect to the oil weight, but I've changed the oil several times now (because of mileage) and have not found anything conclusively relating to a variation in only the weight or type of the oil.

Best of luck to you friend! Hopefully you'll get your basket in and have a nice and quiet bike.

I'm REALLY fortunate (I think ) in that our local yammy shop is a small one (4 mechanics) and I know the big bike mechanic as well as the 'hands on' owners. I talked to them once about it (the basket) but didn't insist on anything. Mark took my bike for a ride and said that it didn't seem to be any louder than some and not as loud as many.

When I get back from Potato Creek, I'll take the bike up and have another talk with them. They said today that they weren't very busy so maybe it'll be a welcome repair.

At this point, I'm convinced that my bike doesn't respond to different oils like some have said that their bike does.

Here's the real killer, I've owned this Venture 2 1/2 years and I've changed the oil 6 times. Not bad for a traveler, but I've only put 7000 miles on it in that time.:bang head:

My 2004 has been the quietest through out the 5000 mile interval with the dino Delo 400 15w40. I ran mobil one 4t and the bike was quiet during the first 2000 miles but got louder during the last 3000. Now granted at it's loudest my bike makes very little chirp and only at certain speeds. I can barely tell its there.

Now the 2000 model I had, at 65 miles per hour you could hear it coming from a mile away. It had amsoil in when I bought it at 50,000 miles, and screamed like a banshee.

I changed it to mobil one and made some difference, put lucas synthetic in and quieted down a little more but is was awful at 65 mph, speed up to 70 and it would hush.

Gregg

I'm REALLY fortunate (I think ) in that our local yammy shop is a small one (4 mechanics) and I know the big bike mechanic as well as the 'hands on' owners. I talked to them once about it (the basket) but didn't insist on anything. Mark took my bike for a ride and said that it didn't seem to be any louder than some and not as loud as many.

When I get back from Potato Creek, I'll take the bike up and have another talk with them. They said today that they weren't very busy so maybe it'll be a welcome repair.

At this point, I'm convinced that my bike doesn't respond to different oils like some have said that their bike does.

Here's the real killer, I've owned this Venture 2 1/2 years and I've changed the oil 6 times. Not bad for a traveler, but I've only put 7000 miles on it in that time.:bang head:

It sounds like you are in good hands there! And warranty work, while it doesn't pay well, it still does pay the mechanics, so I'm sure if it gets okayed by whoever needs to okay it, they'll be on it.

Stupid question what is "dino" what does that mean

Just some people's way of saying regular oil as opposed to synthetic oil.

Dino meaning dinosaur which is where regular oil comes from... Dead dinosaurs. ;)