IGNORED

Semi new owner......some upgrades

We bought our '90 Venture about 8 weeks ago and have already ridden nearly 2000 miles on it. After reading many of the discussions here and getting more "in tune' with our bike, I decided to add the heavy fork brace and the Progressive fork springs to help cure the somewhat "flexy" feel in the front. Last Friday, I ordered both from the classified section here from the members posting them. I received the fork brace yesterday! all the way from California to here in Ohio. I just couldn't wait, so I installed it and went for a ride. What a difference! I began wondering if I needed the springs, but they are going to be installed before it is all over along with some new fork gaiters which are split in multiple places. Since the bike has only 12,000 miles on it and it spent a number of years on the center stand, the springs aren't that critical this week.

One issue that I am puzzled by is the sound that is generated when I get the bike leaned over much more than about 70 degrees. There seems to be a bit of a "roar" from what I believe are the tires. It has Dunlop 404 tires on it at about 75% thst were mounted at the same time. Is this characteristic of these tires, or is there something else like a bearing bad? I don't have any experience with Dunlop street tires, all my other bikes have Avons on them. We are both extreemly pleased with this bike and want to have it in the stable for years to come so anything that might need to be addressed needs to be done soon.

I appreciate the thoughts and wisdom of the group.

404's aren't the best tire for the 1st gen. Go with E3's or Avon Venoms for a much better ride and handling. Just how old are the tires?? You state that the bike spent several years on the center strand. Learn about the date code on the tires and if they are more than 6 years old, discard them and save your life...

Hey Dave,

The 1990 VR is an excellent motorcycle and with the low mileage your bike has on it, you should have many years of good service from it.

Since you mentioned the purchase of a front fork brace and Progressive springs, lets take a moment and chat about the many items up front that can cause the symptoms you are describing. If you run your hand over the outside diameter of the front tire, you could feel scalloped areas which mean that the front tire has worn unevenly. There are a few types of movement in the front end that will shorten the life of a tire and cause noise, one type of movement is loose steering head bearings which will cause "side to side wobble" which shows up on the edges of the tire tread as "scollop's" the other type of movement is weak front fork springs which cause the front tire to "bounce" which shows up as a cupped area more in the center of the tire tread. The "heavy duty" replacement front fork brace helps to "mask" the presence of the movement due to loose steering head bearings but really doesn't solve the problem.

When you lean into a corner at speed and you feel the front forks extending and compressing (oscillating) then new front fork springs are in order. Usually once these items have been addressed, and new tires are installed AFTER the above items have been adjusted or replaced, then many miles of smooth riding are enjoyed.

If you have questions or need parts, please feel free to PM me,

Earl

404's aren't the best tire for the 1st gen.

The maximum load on the MKII Venture is 386 lbs., that's passengers, accessories and gear. The D404 in our size is rated at 71H (761lbs.). On my fingers and toes that looks like the load on the tire is maxed out at the maximum bike load.

Unless you and your wife are more petite than many of us your rear tire is overloaded.

Much better to go with a 77H (908 lbs.) rated tire. You'll find this in the Avon Venom, Kenda Kruze and other tires. The Elite III is available in a 78H (930 lbs.) rating.

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments. To add to the information.....

- Date code indicates 2008 manufacture

- According to records I got with the bike, installation was 4/2009

- comparing tread depth from center to side, tires are at about 75%

- durometer indicates nothing abnormal from side to center

- I can feel no cupping or flat spots on the tires

- I weigh in at 190 pounds and the lovely Barbie is 115

- I couldn't discern any play in the steering head bearings in any direction,however I will check carefully and repack when I change the springs

I have past good experience with Dunlop trials tires but no street experience. I will order up some Avons and will mount them when I change the springs. Two of our other bikes have Avons on them and I am really pleased with them.

I was just concerned that there might be a wheel bearing issue and wondered if there were any thoughts about this particular tire. We are both completely taken with this bike and every time we take it out, it commands lots of very positive comments. In fact, we were at the flood wall murals in Portsmouth, Ohio and a gentleman walked by and said "best touring bike ever built, hands down" and walked away.

Dave--Welcome to the site. I just took 404's off my 86 this spring. I had the howl leaning the bike over also. Dunlop EII were not available 2 years ago when I needed tires. I have always run Dunlop's. Went to the E3's this spring and love them. All good advice on the front end. I haven't replaced the springs in my forks yet,but only have 36,000 on the bike. (Sat for years because of the kids.)

Where in Ohio are you? I'm over by Toledo. You thinking of going to the rally in Indiana? We went to the International last year and had a great time.

Ken,

It is a Yamaha Venture Line backrest that came on it. It would be my impression that it is a factory piece or dealer installed option, but who am I to know......I am kind of new to this one.

My experience is with Bultacos and older Honda inline fours.

Going back to comments on the tyres - which tyre are people using on the back ?

Is it the MU90 (whatever size that is) or the 160/80x16 (if it fits) ?

The extra load of the 160/80 sounds useful if it leads to longer life, now that you can't get the Conti TK17 Tour any more.