IGNORED

Thinking about a new GPS but......

1BigDog

I was thinking about getting a GPS unit for the bike with the ability to move it to the car as needed. The motorcycle specific ones are way out of my price range. I was looking at this one in the link and it looked pretty good at a decent price. Anyone have any pro or con info on this or similar units like the garmin 255? Is it worth the price? Will it hold up? I know nothing about GPS units so any info would be appreciated.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Nuvi-265WT-Wide-Screen-GPS-System-P1924.aspx

I'm not an expert on GPS's but waterproof would be the first thing to look at. The 765t doesn't say anything about that however, as I read the board , I've noticed a lot of guys have units other than motorcycle specific 550's & 650's.

You will still have to get a mount for the bike, maybe a second power cord - and while you're at the GPS Store, look at their 3 year warranty and even the lifetime update card.

oooops - now we're up to over $400, might want to consider a 550 since it already has all that stuff :think:

Cabelas has a 255W for 120 bucks this weekend. It's not the T model with the live traffic but I had one of those for a while and it's a pretty nice unit for the price.

I really don't care for the ones with 3 or 4 different things going one, like MP3, Pictures etc.

You really need to do some big time research, there are a lot of different ways to do things.

BOO

I was thinking about getting a GPS unit for the bike with the ability to move it to the car as needed. The motorcycle specific ones are way out of my price range. I was looking at this one in the link and it looked pretty good at a decent price. Anyone have any pro or con info on this or similar units like the garmin 255? Is it worth the price? Will it hold up? I know nothing about GPS units so any info would be appreciated.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Nuvi-265WT-Wide-Screen-GPS-System-P1924.aspx

I just bought the Garmin 765t for $199.00

It has the same options as the 265T, and additional Bluetooth, mp3 player, FM Transmitter ,and other options.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10206408____SearchResults

Gets my vote:thumbsup: the mp3 is a nice feature I use it all the time, all it takes to make it waterproof is a baggie. $30 for a ram mount, $10 for a powercord $5 for the aux cord and you're good to go. Craig

I got the Garmin Nuvi 550. Its not part of the Zumo motorcycle family, but its waterproof, shock and vibration resistant, and much cheaper. I think I paid around $250 for mine a little while back if I recall correctly. Its a decent unit with great battery life (4~5 hours). I use it in my cage, on my scoot and have used it for many hikes due to its good battery life. I even used it in the rainforest on a recent trip to St. Lucia. It works pretty well for me.

I got that same unit the 265T for my bike and we use it in the cars too. I didn't need all the bling, but wanted the traffic feature.

If I was to do it again, I might look at a live weather radar feature, not even sure it is offered.

Waterproof? Well, that is nice, but when it rains, I just remove mine (RAM mount makes that easy) and put it in the trunk since you won't be able to see the screen anyway. So far in light rain, mine has been just fine. For the cheap price on many of these in rebuilts etc, most people I know just buy the cheapest one they can find for the features they want, and if it breaks or floods out in a year, you buy a new one for what it might cost to upgrade the maps in a more expensive one. You come out with the latest maps and a new unit under warranty. So far my 265T has been just fine with the bike/car use. I like it a lot more than a Tom Tom I bought for another car.

Ruff,

take a look at the Garmin 780. I bought that one on FreezyRider's rec and am really happy with it.

downloadable routes...big plus

bluetooth

can be hooked up to intercom system with BuddyRich cable including the mic for phone

MP3 player plays through aux. You can put alot of music on an 8gig card.

Waterproof....NOT....but just need a good ziplock bag with you and your good.

I used a garmin 750 that went south after 2.5 years. Just purchased a garmin 755, much the same as the 750. I wanted the mp3 player which is connected to the aux input. As far a water proof, I just put a small plastic bag over it when it looks like rain.

If money is an issue try shopping Ebay for a Garmin c550 Streepilot. I picked up mine for $85 bucks to the door. It looks like a Zumo, but doesn't have all the buttons and whistles. It does have a viewable anti-glare screen so you can see it in direct sunlight, bluetooth capable, and has an MP3 player. And it works. Mine was gently used and came with the factory docs and box. The seller also unregistered it on the Garmin site so it's now in my name. It also came with two power cords. One for the car and one for the bike. Also a couple of different mounting systems. I did have to buy a bike mount for $10 bucks off Ebay. I think it's the best bang for the buck available.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/assets/Review-c550/pt-SP-c550-CF-lg.jpg

I was going to go with the Nuvi 265WT, but changed my mind and just went with the 765T Refurbished for $162.10 from HERE

It has bluetooth, mp3 player , text to speech and all that, but what really sold me on it , it has the newer looking Garmin maps, they look nice and has a feature which tells me which lane to get into before my turns on the interstate called Lane Assist. You can also setup multi-stop routes, etc which the 265WT could not do.

I just went to the garmin website and played with the features until I could find the cheapest one with the features I wanted and googled for that model.

Garmin Website Street GPS's

This will mostly be used in the car, so waterproof was not a factor for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after doing much research and considering all your responses and suggestions I decided to go ahead with the 265WT from Beach Camera for 158 bucks. It had plenty of positive responses and for what I would need it for it suits me just fine. It probably has more bells and whistles then ill ever even need. I have dealt with Beach Camera several times before and always had a good experience.

Heck, im not a techie..my daughter wanted to get me the new iphone and I told her no...all I need is a basic cell phone with camera feature. :smile5:

I bought this one and really love it is hardwired to the bike and works great.

Got it from Tigerdirect. I can take it off the bike and use it in the wifes car or mine.

A 8gb SD card is fantastic for my mp3s and the sound coming through the stereo is outstanding......Ron

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6361982&Sku=G145-0240 RB

Edited by kantornado

I use the Garmin 765T and I love it. Its not waterproof but a plastic sandwich bag slippe over it works like a charm. Rode it in some real "pumpkin floaters" with a baggy on it and can see it and work the touch screen just fine. I blue tooth my phone to it, download music to it or to an SD card and plug it in. Its great.

Glenn