IGNORED

another rear shock bites the dust

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok..now my rear shock has went BYE BYE!

That's Texan for IT'S FUBARED.

Noticed handling was not quite normal...looked under there, and voila..oil dripping off the shock. 21,444 miles.

Took it into a dealer..they are supposed to be ordering me a new one...wonder how long this will take? My trip to Sturgis is about 7 weeks from now as I write this..(June 13th).

I will have a little story to tell about this one I'm sure, but waiting till I get the new shock on before I will tell those stories...you never know who might read this and show it to those guys. SO, not mentioning names or details...yet.

Stay tuned.

Edited by tx2sturgis

mine was just ordered wednesday.

I think I've been trying to figure out whats wrong with the bike for about a year.

rides okay to 65, then got wierd.

so we rode back roads, at 55-65, even pulling the trailer. cant wait to ride a normal bike again:draming::Venture:

So - when is Yamahahah going to rectify this on-going, in-built, frustrating problem?

Surely it wouldn't be too hard for them to out-source the rear shock to the Works team.

There is a heap of stuff on the bike that ISN'T made by Yammie (tyres, light bulbs etc) so why be so bl00dy precious about their dud shock?

As the old saying goes, "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link."

I'm afraid the dud shock puts the dud factor into the entire bike.

I'm keeping a close eye on my rear shocks. Everytime I put it on the lift to clean tires, etc...I always look underneathe and hope that I don't see any oil dripping from the shock.

I'll stay tuned for txsturgis' update.

Mine died at 69000, Put a progressive shock back there. It has an adjusting ring, and it came with a wrench to adjust it................ I can't get to the ring, and so I can't adjust it........................paid for the adjuster and don't even get a chance to use it. joe

Don't need to hear this.... The '99 shock was replaced under warantee by the PO, and I figured it was taken care of. Now I'm learning it can go multiple times..... Yeesh!! Just for conversation sake, are there any aftermarket rear shocks around the same price as an OEM available?? I just looked at the Progressive website and couldn't find anything listed for the 2ndGen in a rear shock. Could this be a sign of the times????

When mine was replace at 15,000 it took around 2 weeks from the time I brought the bike in to getting it back. So you should be good for Sturgis. The next thing to go on my bike was the charging system at 21,000. Might want to check it before Sturgis. :080402gudl_prv:

Don't need to hear this.... The '99 shock was replaced under warantee by the PO, and I figured it was taken care of. Now I'm learning it can go multiple times..... Yeesh!! Just for conversation sake, are there any aftermarket rear shocks around the same price as an OEM available?? I just looked at the Progressive website and couldn't find anything listed for the 2ndGen in a rear shock. Could this be a sign of the times????

Works seems to be about the only reasonable option. I think they are actually a bit less than the stock shock.

Works seems to be about the only reasonable option. I think they are actually a bit less than the stock shock.

Works is actually a bit more. My total rang in at around 700 (including S&H to texas -- 689 before S&H, they are California based so Ca. folks will have to do the sales tax thing), opposed to the cheapest I found the stock one for ~480 after tax & shipping (as appropriate). The works one, however, is built to order, guaranteed for 1 full year and can be rebuilt for less than 100 bucks after that.

And by the way condor - despite the info presented on the [progressive] website, works is still making them for the RSV, I just put one on my bike.

There is another company (i'll have to look through to see if I can find the quote) that has made a few, but they wanted ~$500 and the guy I talked to said he needed dimensions, etc etc - so I decided that I didn't want to mess with that. If you are interested, I can dig out the contact information for you. -- Although, you may be fine for a while. Some have had theirs replaced once and never had a problem since. Others have had multiple failures so, :confused24:

Edited by LilBeaver
Added the word 'progressive' for clairty when discussing the website

Holy Rat Feathers Batman.....!!!

XVZ13 Royal Star Venture 99- Un R 10.00 Y SRS $605 $689

XVZ13 Royal Star Tour Deluxe 06- Un R 10.00 Y SRS $605 $689

Now I need to know. What in the 'H' makes MC shocks so special?? And what makes them so much better than a $50 auto shock to warant those kinds of prices?? $605 bucks seems like bend over time..... :mo money:

And by the way condor - despite the info presented on the website, works is still making them for the RSV, I just put one on my bike.

I was referrring to the Progressive site. They did... or may still... make an air assist for the 1stGen. Nothing for the 2ndGen... I also checked Racetech to see if they had anything, and they may, but their site isn't very user friendly.... And hard to understand for those of us that are synapse challenged... :confused07:

I was referrring to the Progressive site. They did... or may still... make an air assist for the 1stGen. Nothing for the 2ndGen... I also checked Racetech to see if they had anything, and they may, but their site isn't very user friendly.... And hard to understand for those of us that are synapse challenged... :confused07:

I too was referring tot he progressive site. Sorry about the confusion.

And, I completely agree - their website is not very user friendly. The first two 'customer service' reps I talked to were not very friendly either. The 3rd one though, man, it was like a completely different company - I hope he got credit for my order...

And yes, 6-700 bucks for a shock I think is a total rip... but, what other choice do we have other than dump the bike and go with a different kind (or keep riding on the busted shock... which I did for a while) - and all bikes have their own little quirks, so oh well. :mo money:

Holy Rat Feathers Batman.....!!!

XVZ13 Royal Star Venture 99- Un R 10.00 Y SRS $605 $689

XVZ13 Royal Star Tour Deluxe 06- Un R 10.00 Y SRS $605 $689

Now I need to know. What in the 'H' makes MC shocks so special?? And what makes them so much better than a $50 auto shock to warant those kinds of prices?? $605 bucks seems like bend over time..... :mo money:

Economy of scale. Auto shocks fit multiple applications and years and they are mfg in large quantities (probably by the millions).

Considering that the 2nd Gen shock only fits Ventures and TD Its a very small aftermarket. I would be surprised if the production run by Works is more than 100 units at a time.

RSTDdog

Economy of scale. Auto shocks fit multiple applications and years and they are mfg in large quantities (probably by the millions).

Considering that the 2nd Gen shock only fits Ventures and TD Its a very small aftermarket. I would be surprised if the production run by Works is more than 100 units at a time.

RSTDdog

From what the works guy was telling me the shocks are actually built to order and they only get a handful of RSV shock orders per year.

Mine went out at about 16000 miles. Covered under warranty. Took two days for part to come in and mechanic had old one off and new one on within about one hour. You have plenty of time for this repair before sturgis. Big handling difference. Much better ride. Good luck!

Guest tx2sturgis

I called Yamaha customer service a couple of days ago, and was told that the shock was ordered and on the way to the dealer.

I expect a call any day now, to schedule the repair.

Updates will follow.

From what the works guy was telling me the shocks are actually built to order and they only get a handful of RSV shock orders per year.

Does kinda smell like an opportunity for someone that owns a G2 to do a group buy or set up sale pricing for the group.:whistling::whistling:

Brian

Guest tx2sturgis

Update:

Was told by dealer that I would HAVE to leave the bike for 3 days. Can't do that.

He told me "Then change it yourself, come get it". He would not accept an appointment to have me ride in and wait. Its a 2 hour job at MOST. The dealer is 75 miles from me. I dont mind the wait, but I DO mind being 'afoot' for 3 days. I don't own a trailer to haul it with.

So I pulled it and here it is.

I will be making the trip in my cage, 150 mile round trip to: "Come get it!"

Updates to follow.

Ok stupid question but other than the oil leak what gives it away that the shock is out? Does it ride really bad or something and if so how? I guess I need to start to watch mine since I have almost 13K on it. Yes I know I need to ride more just havent had the chance with kid and ex stuff/