IGNORED

another rear shock bites the dust

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Ok stupid question but other than the oil leak what gives it away that the shock is out? Does it ride really bad or something and if so how? I guess I need to start to watch mine since I have almost 13K on it. Yes I know I need to ride more just havent had the chance with kid and ex stuff/

My first indications that it might be going bad were the more frequent 'bottoming out' events...and then some noticeable ....how can I explain it...hmmm....feeling that the rear wheel was a tad 'loose' when it hit bumps during the turns in town. Then came the discomfort I noticed in my gut and butt after long rides...I'm a rather hefty fellow, and it reminded me of the old motocross days when yer kidneys took a pounding. Of course by then I suspected something, and looked under there. It starts out gradual so you tend to kindve ignore it.

I'd suggest checking that thing every month or so, when you do routine tire pressure checks, and more often if your hauling a heavy passenger regularly or pulling a trailer. If you see oil dripping from the boot or the shock mount...its gone bad on ya.

Update:

He told me "Then change it yourself, come get it".

Updates to follow.

Hey I like that guy...Come get it...I had rather do the work on my bike that somebody I do not know or don't know their skill level. I would always wonder...did they tighten all the bolts to spec?...or cross thread about half of them. :no-no-no:

Hope it comes together for you. Good luck.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...picked up the new shock...will be installing it soon.

I got some comments on this new shock.

"It looks like some kind of heavy duty Bong"

"A prop from Star Wars"

"R2D2's black midget cousin"

...to me...it just looks like a shock.

Updates later.

Guest tx2sturgis

Got the new shock installed...taking the bike for a ride of a couple hundred miles...

Updates in a few days!

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...got a chance to enjoy the new shock...seems to be fine now...no more sore butt or achey gut.....and handling on turns is much improved.

Even threw a 110 pound female on the bike this weekend for a ride...all was well. Course, we didnt ride 680 miles like Rick...but maybe next time!

:whistling:

Ok...got a chance to enjoy the new shock...seems to be fine now...no more sore butt or achey gut.....and handling on turns is much improved.

Even threw a 110 pound female on the bike this weekend for a ride...all was well. Course, we didnt ride 680 miles like Rick...but maybe next time!

:whistling:

Maybe she'd ride longer if you let her get on and off the bike herself instead of 'throwing' her up there. The real test is when is the next ride for the two of you?

Glad your new shock is working out well for you!! 110 eh? That took some cohones to post her estimated weight. I don't care if it is a far underestimate or not...

I too was quite surprised with the immense difference in the handling characteristics of the bike.

Guest tx2sturgis

Glad your new shock is working out well for you!! 110 eh? That took some cohones to post her estimated weight. I don't care if it is a far underestimate or not...

Guess which female is the 110 pounder...or maybe its both!

Guess which female is the 110 pounder...or maybe its both!

I never said I didn't believe it, I just said I wouldn't have gone as far to make any mention of a lady's weight.

That said I'll guess # 1, Trabek. At least that would have been my pick.

Guest tx2sturgis
I never said I didn't believe it, I just said I wouldn't have gone as far to make any mention of a lady's weight.

That said I'll guess # 1, Trabek. At least that would have been my pick.

When a lady weighs between 100 and 125 they dont seem to mind you knowing that. Get outside that range, and they do seem to mind, unless they are either very short and weigh less than 100 or over say 5'8" and weight up to about 150 or so...course it all depends on....huh? wait!...this was a thread about a busted shock....DANG YOU RICK!

:doh:

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...I'm heading out...good luck on the Canada run...I'll be back at the console here maybe next sunday. I do have the iphone that lets me check in now and then while on the road, but its iffy as far as getting in and posting replies...

Take care dude!

Ok...I'm heading out...good luck on the Canada run...I'll be back at the console here maybe next sunday. I do have the iphone that lets me check in now and then while on the road, but its iffy as far as getting in and posting replies...

Take care dude!

Thanks! My plans have changed slightly, but I'll be on the road in a few days.

Hope all is going well.

Took the bike in today and got the new shock put on. I sure can tell the difference, a lot better ride. By the way, why do most mech. disconnect the battery every time they do any work on a bike like changing brake and clutch fluid or changing the shock?

tew47