IGNORED

Handling on my Venture

OK...don't hate on me...this will be a VAGUE comment/question/thoughts about the handling of my bike.

I still have the stock tires on my bike. I have risers installed.

My tires are inflated (both front and back) at 35 PSI. I know that is low for those tires (I think I have my log book stating the front should be 38 and the back 40).

Anyway (and here's the vague part)...lately it "feels" like the front end of the bike is "loose" or sometimes it feels like the back is squirrely...other times the bike rides so smooth and stable. And I don't think it is the road...I am pretty sure it is either the BIKE or my IMAGINATION....but it's enough that it rattles me a little.

So my question...would another 3-5lbs of air in each tire make that much difference? The bike is only 6 months old...could it be the steering bearings? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, I have the progressive pump...so the air is not a problem. I will try that this weekend and report.

I am running 4lbs in the front right now and I think 25lbs in the rear shocks. I'll change and see what happens.

Thanks,

Wally

Thanks, I have the progressive pump...so the air is not a problem. I will try that this weekend and report.

I am running 4lbs in the front right now and I think 25lbs in the rear shocks. I'll change and see what happens.

Thanks,

Wally

Changing the air in the rear shock probably won't make a difference unless you're carrying a passenger. Might not change things much either by changing the front shock air but for sure the tires. Also, make sure your air gauge that you use on the tires is accutate... you could use the progressive pump (if it's a 0-60) to test the tires.

OK...don't hate on me...this will be a VAGUE comment/question/thoughts about the handling of my bike.

I still have the stock tires on my bike. I have risers installed.

My tires are inflated (both front and back) at 35 PSI. I know that is low for those tires (I think I have my log book stating the front should be 38 and the back 40).

Anyway (and here's the vague part)...lately it "feels" like the front end of the bike is "loose" or sometimes it feels like the back is squirrely...other times the bike rides so smooth and stable. And I don't think it is the road...I am pretty sure it is either the BIKE or my IMAGINATION....but it's enough that it rattles me a little.

So my question...would another 3-5lbs of air in each tire make that much difference? The bike is only 6 months old...could it be the steering bearings? Any ideas anyone?

Anything can make a bike get squirlley. Road snakes, wet roads, etc. and wind will really move a bike with a fairing around. One more thing; I noticed this alot when the bike was new and I was getting used to it. Now I don't give it a second thought.

I played with the tires, brakes, air pressures, front bearings, hub, come to find out the rear shock, is leaking.

at about 70 MHP. the bike gets lose. I put 5 pounds on the front shocks and 35 on the rear.

But the bike shop is replacing the rear shock under warranty.

I had the 404 on mine and still do on the front, my dealer told me to make sure I kept 40 lbs in both. I didnt on the back for a while and it cupped on me. I have the E3 on the back now and its a totally diffrent bike with the way it rides now. I did notice that the 404s ride funny when I got around 9K on them so it might be you need to switch. I am going to put radials on it next change and see how the E3s are with that.

This thread and the described problem got me thinking about my handling complaints that I never did anything about.

SO, I jack the bike and sure as sure the handlebars swing left to right like they are riding on slick 50. I get in there with a screwdriver and am able to tighten the steering bearing nut a bit more then 1/4 turn.

On to the air in the shocks. I happen to have an air shock pump but never used it, never checked the air pressure in my shocks. measured 0 in the rear and 5 in the front. Bumped the rear to 30 and took the front to 0.

then bumped tire pressure up to the advised 40 front, 42 rear.

BIG difference for sure. Im guessing going from 0 to 30# in the rear shock is sort of like adding the leveling links? The handling is so different.

Thanks for the great advice! ( I need a "maintenance day" on long island ! )

OK...I took the bike out today for a little spin (not far though...maybe 15 miles)...anyway here is what I did...

I reduced the front forks from 5lbs to 0.

I increased the rear shock up to 25lbs.

I set my front tire (Dunlop 404) to 40lbs.

I set my rear tire (Dunlop 404) to 42lbs.

I can tell a definite difference! A longer ride would have been nicer...but for now I am happy. We'll see what happens after riding for 3000 miles (next week).

The ONLY thing I haven't messed with is the steering bearings. I will wait on those.

I do have a question about the bearings though...if replaced are there like a "premium" set of bearings that is better than the STOCK BEARINGS?

Wally

As long as this thread is on handling I tought I'd pop a question. On the '83 when doing a scrub... that back and forth lean when first starting out on a ride.... it was smooth from side to side. I also like to do this on any strange bike to get a clue of what's going to happen when I need to lean a lot. On the new2me '99 when doing the scrub it feels like I'm going over a hump or resistence when the bike hits upright, and before it falls off into a lean. New E3's. Haven't got a clue on the tire pressure... to lazy to check yet. Just thought I'd ask and see if it's normal or ??

Condor, that sounds pretty much like you'll in for new Steering Head Bearings.

Industry Type is 32005X/Q and 32006X/Q. Not a funny Job, but well worth the Effort. Watch teh Seal on the lower Bearing while you pulling it off. You can improve the Handling tremendously if you decide to grind the Bearing Seat a little bit bigger, so much that the outer Races just fall in Place and glue them in Place with Loctite 648.

Condor, that sounds pretty much like you'll in for new Steering Head Bearings.

Industry Type is 32005X/Q and 32006X/Q. Not a funny Job, but well worth the Effort. Watch teh Seal on the lower Bearing while you pulling it off. You can improve the Handling tremendously if you decide to grind the Bearing Seat a little bit bigger, so much that the outer Races just fall in Place and glue them in Place with Loctite 648.

That's an idea Squeeze. If I remember correctly their was some discussion on this board a few years back about some 2ndGen's having a problem with the steering head adjustment. Where the steering head could be tightened, and then it would loosen again very quickly. Turned out to be.... I think.... the neck weld not holding, or something alone that line???. :confused07:

Yes, i've brought this up two or three Times in the Past.

The Problem on all Steering Heads is, the Seats are manufactured before they're welded to the Frame. The Welding Process causes the Seats to take a unround Shape. This goes for Steel Frames as well as Aluminium from all Manufacturers all over the World.

If you force a outer Race into that Seat, the Race will take the same oval Shape as the Seat is. This causes the Problem while adjusting the Bearing Slack on tapered Roller Bearings like we use in our Ride. On one Point the Bearing is almost too tight and when you tighten the Nut just a tad more, the Bearing will feel loose again. There's not a definite Spot to find because if a Roller is resting on a high Spot it will feel tight, if you turn the Steering the Roller walks away from the High Spot and probaly end up "in the Air" and another Roller takes on a "high Spot".

If you make enough Room inside the Bearing Seat to not Force the Race in the existing oval Shape, the Race will stay in perfect round Profile and this will give you a much more defined Adjustment. You tighten the Steering and it will stay at your adjusted Point, because all the Rollers have the same Contact with the outer Race.

This Problem causes a Lot of Grief on the 1Gen Maxxes on high Speeds. They start to wobble, caused by one or the other Reason, but the Steering Head being tight on one Point and loose on another escalates the Wobble, some Times to a Point of no Return.

The Bearings on the 1Gen Vmax and all Ventures '82 to 2010 are all the same, so is the Problem.

Yes, i've brought this up two or three Times in the Past.

The Problem on all Steering Heads is, the Seats are manufactured before they're welded to the Frame. The Welding Process causes the Seats to take a unround Shape. This goes for Steel Frames as well as Aluminium from all Manufacturers all over the World.

If you make enough Room inside the Bearing Seat to not Force the Race in the existing oval Shape, the Race will stay in perfect round Profile and this will give you a much more defined Adjustment. You tighten the Steering and it will stay at your adjusted Point, because all the Rollers have the same Contact with the outer Race.

The Bearings on the 1Gen Vmax and all Ventures '82 to 2010 are all the same, so is the Problem.

So what's the best way to relieve the race or bearing seat?? Lathe??? I've never been in this area so don't have a clue....

Would you recommend the same for a 1st gen?

The shock air setting for the first gen is different. When I had mine, I ran the shocks at max using the on-board system. As for the tires I think I ran them about the same as I reported above.