IGNORED

Changing Brake/Clutch Fluid at Maintenance Day

V7Goose

The brake and clutch fluid should be changed every two years. If you can detect ANY brown color at all in the sight glass on the master cylinders, then the fluid is very old and needs to be changed. Fresh fluid is virtually clear, and it turns brown as it absorbs water from the air.

Changing it is easy. At Don's Maintenance day/Carnival, I will have my vacuum pump to make this job real easy. If you want to change your fluids, you will need at least TWO small bottles of DOT4 fluid (or one large 16 oz bottle).

Goose

Goose....If I make it there please have me on the list for the Clutch Fluid change.

Boomer.....who wonders if I can train the pygmies to do maintenance werk on de scoot.

Boomer..If you dont make it Ill help ya out at the next maintenance day in Houston..I got pretty good at it the last go around..Vac pump here also. Tom

Boomer..If you dont make it Ill help ya out at the next maintenance day in Houston..I got pretty good at it the last go around..Vac pump here also. Tom

Thanks Tom !! I'm hoping we get SOMETHING something going over in Texas not long after the hoedown in Ohio!!

Boomer.....always panting fer another slow ride through Liberty-Texas.:Laugh:

Guest scarylarry

Sounds like I rode trip to me....Hmmmmmm

Thanks Goose, this was something I was going to ask someone about this year. Please add me to your list, I want to learn how to do this.

ME TOO!!! ME TOO! ME TOO!!

Maybe I can talk Rocket into that at the PIP in Sept.

Free chicken supper! Sorry Annie!

Chief,

I have a vac pump here and we can make that happen, good excuse for some cheesecake :whistling:

Squid I don't need any reason other than to see you and Lonna to ride to East Texas!:thumbsup2:

Boomer.....who has to mention Liberty Texas as a strong draw too.:big-grin-emoticon:

If we get there in one piece, I'll have tools and a vacuum pump too. Be glad to get in on the fun!:dancefool:

Will just need a container to get rid of the used fluid :confused07:

BTW I'll need a tire change, 'cause looks like I won't get it done, before I get there.:headache:

I

Will just need a container to get rid of the used fluid :confused07:

Don't keep it in the saddlebags, after use..... Remember brake fluid will eat though ABS.

I had a partially filled container that got punctured, part of the saddle bag bottom came off, as a result. :2cents:

I had a leak somewhere in my 1984 Venture XVZ1200 clutch hydraulic system and in the process of trying to repair this some oil leaked out of the clutch assembly.

Does anyone know how I go about refilling this because I can't seem to find anything which looks like a refill plug or something along those lines.

Many Thanks.

There is a box attached to your clutch lever with 2 screws in the top. THe fluid is inside. But remove very carefully to avoid spilling on your plastic, as it will eat plastic very quickly. Do NOt fill to the top, never more than 3/4 full to aloow for expasion when the fluid heats up.

If you fill it up when clutch gets warm the fluid will expand making your clutch slip.

I would suggest buying speed bleeders and flushing your system if your fluid is brown.

Brian

My 2007 has never been changed - clutch or brake :bang head:

If you are going to Maintenance day at Dons they wll change it..I had speed bleeders and they are nice,BUT the vacuum pump is alot quicker and easier in MY opinion..not knocking speed bleeders,just I prefer the vacuum pump,VERY simple once shown how..Tom BTW,IF it has never been changed ..DO IT..it will leave you high and dry IF it goes bad..mine did it in Colorado,got back in without using the clutch lever,just shifting by force..I know,bad but at 12000 ft in the mountains had to get her down.

Being a real expert I did not explain myself clearly, but have done some research.

I removed the middle gear case cover to get at one of the connections and oil leaked out of this.

How do I replace it?

Many Thanks again.

The oil that leaked out of the middle gear is engine oil.

There is only one oil reservoir for the engine/transmission/middle gear.

Not 3, like some Harleys.

Gary