IGNORED

oil filter

gunboat

hi folks

got a question about a fram tough guard 7317 oil filter. i have been using a walmart super tech #7317 for a while now. but yesterday i went to 2 different walmarts and they didn't have any st7317's on the shelf. i ended buying a fram t/g 7317 filter. this morning i installed this filter and started up the scoot to check for leaks. no leaks and it fit good. when i came in to record the milage in my log, i realized the regular fram filter i could have used is a #ph6017a. any one got an idea if i should go head and use this filter or take it off & replace it. i like to try different things but sure don't want to burn up a engine.

reguards

don c.

Don't know about the Fram filters, as I have so far had good luck with the Purolator PureOne #PL14610 (the longer one) or the PL14612. I get them from Advance Auto Parts. Neither Wally World or AutoZone carry them here.

Edited by wes0778
spelling

Hey Don, Up until I started learning a little bit more about the filters that are available I used the PH6017A on my bike. For the last several changes I've used the Super Tech 7317 from Wally World with good result, by that I mean no apparent problems. Don't know about the one you're talking about. My opinion is, "If in doubt, don't!!!" At least until you find out better.

It looks like the Fram Tough Guard filter #7317 is specified for the Yamaha FJR1300 from 2003 - 2008 model years.

Also it is a type "5" filter on the list HERE so according to that list it should work however I am NOT making this recommendation as it does NOT filter as well as the Purolator Pure One PL14612 (2.5" tall) or Purolator Pure One PL14610 (3.25" tall) which is what I use.

I went to Fram's and Purolator's websites and compared the claims on how well they clean.

Fram states

99% efficent Honeywell testing of filter efficiency and capacity of models equivalent to TG8A, 3387A and 6607 under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns.

Purolator states

Purolator PureONE Oil Filters are 99.9% Efficient Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001

So the PureONE filteres stop more particles (by a very small margin of 0.9%)

Technically the PureONE filters better but now I need to research the price difference of the two filters...... I might switch over to the Fram Tough Guard.

Update, locally the PureONE filter is $6.49 while the Fram Tough Guard filter is $5.49....... $1 less.

I like the fully textured can on the PureONE filters but the color of the can is weird on these bikes, so I remove the sticker and paint them flat black with some high temperature paint from a rattle can.....

Edited by KiteSquid

I switched to the Mobile M1-108 (2.5"), and it's a great fit and is rated well. Most AP stores carry it, along with the Mobile 1 20W50 synth oil if you're into that brand. The filter is about $7 and the oil is about $9 a quart.

I like the fully textured can on the PureONE filters but the color of the can is weird on these bikes, so I remove the sticker and paint them flat black with some high temperature paint from a rattle can.....

Now I have to ask what colour is the filter before you paint it ?

Sad to say but I would never even thought about doing this.

Brad

Now I have to ask what colour is the filter before you paint it ?

Sad to say but I would never even thought about doing this.

Brad

I kinda like the color, (close to Caterpillar yellow) but after 34 years I'm kinda partial!!!:rasberry:

hi kit funny you should post this filter. back in high school ( '65 ) i bought a used 55 chevy that had this filter on it. i would buy the 1,000 sheet of scott t/p & pull of enough t/p till it fit inside the housing. that v-8 engine(260) was chev's first and it didn't have a filter. it even had a oil bath air filter. the 283's v-8 had a canaster type filter. i only paid $550.00 for that chevy 4- door, wish i still had that old chevy.

Darksider?????

To stay truly on the Dark Side, you REALLY need the Frantz oil filter. Darth Maul told me so.

http://www.frantzoil.com/t/Frantz/tn_PolishedSScoveronly.jpg

Click HERE to check out their website.

Gunboat,

The Fram Ph 7317 will work fine. And no Autozone doesn't carry the purolator filters. But they do carry a filter that will fit our bikes. STP S6607 short filter,Bosch 3300 is the short filter,and the Bosch 3323 is the number for the long filter.

The STP is a good filter but the Bosch is a little better because it uses a synthetic fabric and has more pleats than the STP or the Fram. And here it is!:301:

Autozone - Bosch - 3323

here is a link about filters:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

"The way the Pure One achieves this filtering efficiency is by combining three different types of materials in their filter: paper like everyone else to catch the big stuff, and cellulose and fiberglass fibers to fill in the "large" holes in the paper with their much finer fibers. Filters like this are now made by Purolator, Hastings (marketed as AMS), and Champion (marketed as Mobil 1 and Bosch). Accordingly, the best oil filters are the Purolator Pure One, Mobil-1, AMSOil, and Bosch. If you use one of these filters with one of the commercial synthetic oils listed above, you have the best protection money can buy."

There is quite a list of different filters that physically fit. I use the Bosch myself from Auto Zone.

Here it is Scarry Larry...

Wait for it...

IMHO Frams are the worst filters out there!!! Too many horror stories of shreading filters, clogging up, etc to want to never buy another as long as I live!