IGNORED

Deer hunting with a RoyalStar

OddStar

Last Friday (5/28) I rode up to Door Cty, WI for family's annual Memorial Day cookout for my wife's B-Day. Just so happend that Curt (fjr rider) and the Venturer's were camping up there in Bailey's Harbor, so I stopped by to say hi. Around 6:30PM the wife called for me to get home for dinner, so bid the group bye and took off.

Was running Rte. 57 across peninsula to Sister Bay and decided to avoid traffic, so jumped on Old Stage road. Had just hit 4th gear @ 60MPH when..WHAM, a couple hundred lb. doe hits me from the left. Held the bars straight, listening to the sound of Crunching metal, then the deer fell away and I brought Matilda to a stop.

Got my wits about me and walked back about 1/4 mi. to where the first pieces were on the road. Found the doe about 700 ft. from the point of impact, Very dead and too heavy for me to put on the back saddle (damn, wanted to cook that sucker). Back at the bike, loaded the parts in saddle bag and rode 3mi. to the house (don't they say most accidents happen

Saturday morning uncovered her and got the tools out. Pried the front fender tip off the tire, cut turn signal wires, and bent left wind-wing support out a bit. A couple of low speed test runs on our road, all seemed fine so headed to Fish Creek to find the group. Stopped at a winery and was showing the damage, when Steve said, "what about your tank?". The head or front hooves had put a softball sized dent at the tank badges. No wonder my right calf was still hurting!!

I'm just amazed how well built these bikes are - no fork problems even after wrapping a deer around them. So...anybody got a good used tank :whistling:.

Thx all, am glad to be alive.

My body guy says he can straighten the fender but he's not sure about the tank. Thinking of calling one of those 'paintless' dent places, since the paint isn't cracked. anybody tried that process?

Also looking at the Kuryakyn Constellation light bar kit to replace the tractor lights. Tech gut said the RoadStar mounting bracket will work.

WOW

I've seen what a deer can to to a car.

Glade that you and the bike will live with very minimal healing.

The dent repair guys can do magic.

A buddy just got a nice ghost flame job on his brand new hardly, got it hom from the painter and stuck it in the garage to wait for spring. He then immediately backed his F150 into the bike and dented the nice new flames on the fender, After the dent guy was done you could not tell that anything ever happened.

Karen and I took one down almost a year ago.

I had dents in other parts of the tank from the handlebars and such, but not in the badge area.

However, all I can figure is the the head wrapped around the right side of the bike and smashed my knee into the badge. You could almost make out the tank star in the bruise on the inside of my knee.

Glad you're OK. Look forward to meeting you someday.

Later, Scooter Bob

Thx guys, I'll definetly try the 'paintless' dent repair with the wands.

Was watching the local Green Bay news that Sat. night, and a couple were killed on I-43 at 2AM that day, she was knocked off bike and hit by car. I Must have passed at least a dozen carcassas on Monday between GB and Milwaukee.

Time to have open season year round on these critters - breedin' faster than rabbits!!

Think what saved me was; deer stayed low, and I didn't try to swerve or panick brake - just resigned to take the impact.

Hey OddStar,

Before you hit that deer, that was one sweet looking bike. I'm sure that you'll find the pieces and put her back together again.

I used one of those dent guys this spring on my car. Amazing what they can do.

It was nice that you and your wife could join us at the winery.

Ya gotta stop that deer hunting, with the bike of course.

Steve

This is a reminder that late May to early June is when the does are dropping there new batch of fawns. When a doe is ready to give birth she will drive last years fawns out of her territory. This is what spreads the gene pool. There are a lot of young deer wandering around looking for a new place to live. If they grew up in a part of the woods with no roads the were never taught how to cross the street.

Be extra vigilant for deer in the dark.

I am stocked up on ammo for the next deer season. I'll do my part to reduce the herd.