IGNORED

Easiest way to REMEDY an Oil overfill

Yeah...I did my first oil change and used the Rotella T6 synthetic oil...but I accidently (actually my buddy finished the jug off when I wasn't looking) OVERFILLED the oil. When I use the sight glass (on the level)...all I can see is a bubble at the top...so I know it's overfilled.

Now...I am wondering the easiest way to drop some oil out...the oil filter, the plug...or even through the fill hole (Yeah, I know...I doubt that too).

Any suggestions.

Wally

When I use the sight glass (on the level)...all I can see is a bubble at the top...so I know it's overfilled.

Welp... I don't know Wally, but I figure if you can see a bubble on the level, you're ok. If not, I'm sure someone will be correcting me soon. As far as draining out a little, I'd say you'd have to be pretty quick with the plug.

Good luck and let us know how (and how much) it all came out! :080402gudl_prv::confused24::)

I keep posting my method for changing the oil on our 2nd Gens so here it is again.....lol

The scoot takes 3 1/2 guarts of oil....any more than that MAY cause oil carryover and make a mess for ya....

Solution....Pour 8 ounces of oil into a measuring cup.....put 1/2 of this into your NEW oil filter and let it set for a minute or so before installing the Filter. Once Filter is in place add remaining oil in measuring cup and 3 quarts of fresh oil as well.

With the scoot level you should see the oil level at the exact half-way mark on the sightglass.

I have been using this method for over 2 years now....no overfill, no oil blowby, no mess on the scoot....period.

Boomer.....who's dangerous with a wrench but has oil changes down pat.

I overfilled the "Parts bike' when I was putting it togather in Skid's garage. If you rev it to about 13 grand it will throw that extra oil out everywhere. Skid didn't seem to mind this too much but it was only a day or two after the fire.... :think:

I might not recomend this method!!:whistling:

I overfilled the "Parts bike' when I was putting it togather in Skid's garage. If you rev it to about 13 grand it will throw that extra oil out everywhere. Skid didn't seem to mind this too much but it was only a day or two after the fire.... :think:

I might not recomend this method!!:whistling:

I know who not to buy parts from...j/k

What is the right amount? These engines are basically the same as a vmax? Reading the posts on the vmoa forums a small bubble is what you want on a vmax. Is the venture crankcase different? I've never gave it much thought, maybe I've been overfilling my rstd.

Mark

Yeah...I did my first oil change and used the Rotella T6 synthetic oil...but I accidently (actually my buddy finished the jug off when I wasn't looking) OVERFILLED the oil. When I use the sight glass (on the level)...all I can see is a bubble at the top...so I know it's overfilled.

Now...I am wondering the easiest way to drop some oil out...the oil filter, the plug...or even through the fill hole (Yeah, I know...I doubt that too).

Any suggestions.

Wally

You can be quickest in the west loosening the drain plug and then trying to get it back in but you are still going to have a mess. When I purchased my "other bike"; don't want to start a war here, it was quite a bit overfilled. Here's how I lowered the level without pulling the drain plug. I had a length of small id hose maybe 3/8 id. I simply opened the fill plug, lowered the hose down into the oil, placed a recovery can right next to the right side of the motor, and sucked the hose full almost to where it entered my mouth. Be careful here but oil doesn't taste that bad anyway. Once the hose was full or almost full, I placed the other end of the hose in the can and with my breath, forced the hose to drain out. I did that a few times and lowered the oil level in my ????? to an appropriate level. Worked for me.

I keep posting my method for changing the oil on our 2nd Gens so here it is again.....lol

The scoot takes 3 1/2 guarts of oil....any more than that MAY cause oil carryover and make a mess for ya....

Solution....Pour 8 ounces of oil into a measuring cup.....put 1/2 of this into your NEW oil filter and let it set for a minute or so before installing the Filter. Once Filter is in place add remaining oil in measuring cup and 3 quarts of fresh oil as well.

With the scoot level you should see the oil level at the exact half-way mark on the sightglass.

I have been using this method for over 2 years now....no overfill, no oil blowby, no mess on the scoot....period.

Boomer.....who's dangerous with a wrench but has oil changes down pat.

You need to change your name to "Hints from Heloise" :crackup:

Seriously though.....I printing this one off and taking home to the hubby!!

Actually, if you have any air bubble at all above the oil level in the sight window (when the bike is held vertical, of course), all should be fine. The "Full" mark is clearly visible near the top of the window on the right (front) side.

Goose

Any suggestions.

Wally

Wally might I suggest the (AMSOIL) oil removal kit...just for times like this..price is about 12-15 $...Carl:080402gudl_prv:

OK, so I have a REALLY DUMB question here...

Why pour 8 ounces into a measuring cup but only pour 1/2 of that into the oil filter .... why not just pour 4 ounces in and then when you add the rest of the oil, put the 3 quarts in plus a wee bit (best guesstimate of 4 oz).

To get excess oil out I would use some 1/4" vinyl tubing to syphon some out..

I was once a master at syphoning gas but in the beginning, I knew what gas tasted like and felt like when it blew back out my nostrils... OIL surely can't be that bad LMAO!

How did I become a master you ask?

I travelled across Canada on FREE GAS back around 1968 in my '55 Merc LOL

Juicy Fruit was my favourite gum in those days LMAO

I was once a master at syphoning gas but in the beginning, I knew what gas tasted like and felt like when it blew back out my nostrils... OIL surely can't be that bad LMAO!

How did I become a master you ask?

I travelled across Canada on FREE GAS back around 1968 in my '55 Merc LOL

Juicy Fruit was my favourite gum in those days LMAO

I will pray for your soul!!!

You can be quickest in the west loosening the drain plug and then trying to get it back in but you are still going to have a mess. When I purchased my "other bike"; don't want to start a war here, it was quite a bit overfilled. Here's how I lowered the level without pulling the drain plug. I had a length of small id hose maybe 3/8 id. I simply opened the fill plug, lowered the hose down into the oil, placed a recovery can right next to the right side of the motor, and sucked the hose full almost to where it entered my mouth. Be careful here but oil doesn't taste that bad anyway. Once the hose was full or almost full, I placed the other end of the hose in the can and with my breath, forced the hose to drain out. I did that a few times and lowered the oil level in my ????? to an appropriate level. Worked for me.

Might not be a bad idea to use a clear tube

Geeeze!! All these nay sayers. I said it could be done on my Saturn and the guys on the Saturn website said it couldn't. I was able to swap out drain plugs and only lost about 1/2 cup of oil. Take the plug out, plug the hole with your finger (gee, there's a novel idea), swap the other plug back in. Sure, my hand got a little messy but hey, that's life.

It can be done with the drain plug and I've done it more than once (when the dealer overfilled)... into a tall stadium cup, none the less. Don't take the plug out completely, just tilt to one side, and hold the cup up close.

Geeeze!! All these nay sayers. I said it could be done on my Saturn and the guys on the Saturn website said it couldn't. I was able to swap out drain plugs and only lost about 1/2 cup of oil. Take the plug out, plug the hole with your finger (gee, there's a novel idea), swap the other plug back in. Sure, my hand got a little messy but hey, that's life.

It can be done with the drain plug and I've done it more than once (when the dealer overfilled)... into a tall stadium cup, none the less. Don't take the plug out completely, just tilt to one side, and hold the cup up close.

but... but... I'd get oil on my finger!!! eeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crying:

:rotf: :rotf: