IGNORED

84 xvz1200 standard 1/4 mile tips

Originally Posted by MasterGuns viewpost.gif

... And if you care to check things out the Venture V4 was first designed by Harley but they decided not go with it due to reasons unrelated to performane. ...

Source, please. Thanks in advance.

I own a 99 Vmax and I'd be interested in learning something new. I always read that the Venture V4 came from the Vmax. Maybe you can shed a new light on this?????

HE SAID WHAT!!!!!!!! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Je8jTXlkdU&feature=related]YouTube- Heres Yer Sign[/ame]

Edited by GigaWhiskey

I have seen that article on the V4 Harley before but don't see anything about them selling the design to Yamaha. I think the Yamaha is their own design. There have been a number of V4 engines over the years. The Venture and Yamaha are not the only ones.

Great thread, some really good advice on both what to do and who to look out for. We are all looking for an advantage, wether its mpg's or E.T's. A few months ago my GF and I were out for a Sunday morning escape and well on our way to one of the better roads around here. (if there is such a thing in South Texas, you have to use your imagination ocassionaly) We were threading our way through church traffic when someone with their first V-8 was creating mayhem on this little strech of four lane. Sad thing was he was about 50ish and hammering the dog stuffings out of his "Boss" mustang. He pulled a couple of stupid lane changes and I adjusted my course accordingly, gassing it up and to the outside to avoid this moron. At the next light, he responded by reving his engine and throwing down his best "ain't I bad" look at us. My mostly shy Gf leaned into me and said, you gonna put up with that crap? Alot of folks here have wondered about Shinkos and their worth, but let me tell you something, when they are hooking up, lofting the front wheel, and smacking the crap out of a "hotrod" all the while two up, with luggage through third gear, they earned their worth. Twenty odd years old, who says so. Race the Harley and don't look back.......................By the way, the Mustang driver wouldn't even look at me at the last light out of town. However, I think my GF may have cracked a rib.

VRODs have a lot of guts and in a 1/4 mile will leave blisters on the paint of Ventures. And if you care to check things out the Venture V4 was first designed by Harley but they decided not go with it due to reasons unrelated to performane. Loud things don't bother me in the least, I served over thirty years in the Marine Corps and learned to acquaint noise with freedom. Don't take me the wrong way, I do own a Venture and have since 1986. I love the bike but I also own and will always own a Harley, preferably an Ultra. Couldn't live without either one. Most people, IMHO, would own Harleys if only they were a little bit more affordable.

OK, then I say put your VROD against an R1...it's just not a good comparison. I've spent my time in the service around loud machines also, but when I'm sitting on my front porch with my children and we have to stop talking to let some tard going 25 miles an hour go down the street because we can't hear it is again not a good comparison. Also I would really like to see where Japanese engineers based their design on anything Harley has ever touched.

now now now..... the harley is an AMERICAN BIKE,.... all american... that is why the startes ever since about midle to late 80's have come from JAPAN....

Most harleys electronics are from japan...

What I do wonder tho is when did the first v4 come out from any bike company, a friend of mine is telling me it is yamaha.

I do know cars had v4's way before then. one example is the saab sonnet 1969 it has a v4...

Originally Posted by MasterGuns viewpost.gif

... And if you care to check things out the Venture V4 was first designed by Harley but they decided not go with it due to reasons unrelated to performane. ...

Source, please. Thanks in advance.

I own a 99 Vmax and I'd be interested in learning something new. I always read that the Venture V4 came from the Vmax. Maybe you can shed a new light on this?????

I don't remember all the details but if my memory is working, had something to do with the Harley Davidson "failed" Nova Program. Way back in the last 70s, HD started development of a water cooled V-4 of varying sizes. After successfully developing several sized V-4 and even a V-6, they figured they'd loose too much of their loyal base and elected to not mass produce. I also seem to remember that this technology was sold to Yamaha and a short 2 years later, whala, the 1983 Venture 1200 V-4. I could care less of this is true, perhaps someone should do so research.

OK, then I say put your VROD against an R1...it's just not a good comparison. I've spent my time in the service around loud machines also, but when I'm sitting on my front porch with my children and we have to stop talking to let some tard going 25 miles an hour go down the street because we can't hear it is again not a good comparison. Also I would really like to see where Japanese engineers based their design on anything Harley has ever touched.

When was the last time you checked out all the Harley lookalikes? They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

now now now..... the harley is an AMERICAN BIKE,.... all american... that is why the startes ever since about midle to late 80's have come from JAPAN....

Most harleys electronics are from japan...

What I do wonder tho is when did the first v4 come out from any bike company, a friend of mine is telling me it is yamaha.

I do know cars had v4's way before then. one example is the saab sonnet 1969 it has a v4...

Honda had the V45 Sabre in 1982. It was a 750cc V4 so Honda released a V4 a year before Yamaha. Yamaha's first V4 was the 1983 Venture.

I've got a neighbor down the street who builds Hardleys for guys that want to run. The first time he saw me on my bike he told me that there was no way in h**l that he would run me. Guess I'll find a couple of kids and work on that burn-out procedure (Thanks Jean!).........

since I did not see any mention of what model H-D was meeting you at the drags. Let's assume it's an air cooled big twin. Stock they have ~ 60hp or so. Put a pipe and fueling work, maybe 70hp. Now the stock 1st gens Venture in a GOOD state of tune 1200's make about 86hp @ 7000rpm and the 1300's 90+ @7000 rpm . Mine last dyno'd 93+ and 81ft/lbs.at rear wheel. If you want to get'er down the track shift right at 7500. Because the power does not taper off fast on these at redline. At least all my dyno runs have proved this. Also, leave the line between 3500 and 4200. Depending on how big your ability to slip the clutch smoothly is? This means keeping the rpms up with the throttle. To avoid bogging. Keep rpms up, and as you smoothly as you can, let the clutch out in less than half a second. Are you scared yet??? Question is, how well do you know your bike and your abilities?:sign bring it on:

If I were to race it on the strip, I would practice my technique in a wide open and safe location. Begin with normal start offs, then slowly increase the RPM with each start off. Find that sweet point in your clutch engagement and use that to your advantage.

I would also consider cutting weight off the bike. Remove the trunk and saddle bags to save a lot of weight. If I remember correctly, one once said that 3 lbs of weight lost is equilvent to a perceived 1 HP increase.

VRODs have a lot of guts and in a 1/4 mile will leave blisters on the paint of Ventures. And if you care to check things out the Venture V4 was first designed by Harley but they decided not go with it due to reasons unrelated to performane. Loud things don't bother me in the least, I served over thirty years in the Marine Corps and learned to acquaint noise with freedom. Don't take me the wrong way, I do own a Venture and have since 1986. I love the bike but I also own and will always own a Harley, preferably an Ultra. Couldn't live without either one. Most people, IMHO, would own Harleys if only they were a little bit more affordable.

And a FJR1300 will eat a Vrod so fast the dealer that sold the bike will feel it.

Compare apples to apples. Race a modern Vrod with a Modern Yamaha.

The 1st gen will do High 11's take off the bags (83-84 guys have the biggest advantage here.) remove the rear floorboards as well... every ounce makes a difference.

Mine with a bad 2nd gear was able to do mid 12's on a dyno dragrace.. Everyone was razzing the old fart on his geezer glide... I was beating everyone (mostly harley sportsers and kids with

I wanna nitro my geezer glide!

Edited by timgray