IGNORED

Clutch upgrade...no so upgraded

Hello everyone,

Did the clutch upgrade(2nd gen). Installed new extra disk, removed wire, half disc, 2 rings.

cross sanded the plates, soaked all the disk in fresh Rotella.

re-installed with two notches on disc all aligned, installed pressure plate to marks, put new spring on, ring that holds bolts.

Bike has 45k, but was barely slipping in 3rd gear with two up and pulling trailer.

NOW

watched the pressure plate move freely with clutch handle engage, disengage.

put the cover back on, fill up oil. Took for a spin..............slips with barely any throttle.

must have missed sumptn.!!!!

Any good suggestions on what I missed

.....hate to think I have to find another gasket. Leaving on the 3rd of June for a 3000mile trip.

Clutch lever feels even weaker than before...also clutch doesn't engage until it is almost totally released.

Jim

Where did you get the clutch spring. If you got it from PCW then Im at a loss except that maybe its not installed correct. If you got it from Skydoc he posted that the first springs he got made were made incorrectly and are not strong enough. That definitely would make it slip.

I got the weaker spring from SkyDoc with my Kit but Kbran simply doubled up the springs and the scoot comes off the line like she was shot out of a cannon. The clutch lever is tight but I shortly got used to that quick.

Boomer....who sez drinking beer wiff both hands develops a purty good grip for either wimmen or beer.

I have been told that it is possible to install the new spring and not have it seated correctly in its groove. This would also cause slipping.

My Clutch spring upgrade also does not start to engage till the last 1/4 inch before the clutch is all of the way out. I called PCW and was told that this is fairly common. I have not yet figured out how to get it back to a "normal" feel, PCW also has not figured out why it does this on some bikes and not others. But It will not slip at any throttle setting in any gear. It just has a very narrow friction zone.

Since the gaskets are so cheap I have elected to keep a spare set of the clutch gasket and the 2 side cover gaskets for the left side on hand just so I do not have to wait around when I need one next.

I got it from SkyDoc. I guess I haven't been following the threads that close, didn't know there was a problem with a weak one.

But you CAN double the old with the new.....That will work? Is there clearance in the pressure plate to allow both springs to seat in the lip they sit on against that ring spring?

I got it from SkyDoc. I guess I haven't been following the threads that close, didn't know there was a problem with a weak one.

But you CAN double the old with the new.....That will work? Is there clearance in the pressure plate to allow both springs to seat in the lip they sit on against that ring spring?

if you haven't changed the fluid in the clutch for awhile, now would be a good time. it does make a difference.

Near as I can remember that is exactly what Kbran did on the install for my scoot. Check with him and Squid for further details just to be sure...

Boomer.....hoping the best for ya on this clutch issue.

if you haven't changed the fluid in the clutch for awhile, now would be a good time. it does make a difference.

Ok I was in the middle of working the bike, old ladies car, a few house issues and I took a quick peak were the bleeder was for the clutch and didn't find it,

Enlighten me.

Yes it will work fine for right now, I have a double stock setup on my '89 and there is no clearance issues. At some point you MIGHT have to replace it, but I doubt it, install it and run, folks have been running with double springs for a long time in the Ventures

:2cents:

Yes it will work fine for right now, I have a double stock setup on my '89 and there is no clearance issues. At some point you MIGHT have to replace it, but I doubt it, install it and run, folks have been running with double springs for a long time in the Ventures

:2cents:

Thanks Brad....I knew you'd jump in heah and put the right words out.

Boomer....who's fighting off the craving fer cheesecake by beating the pygmies with a big stick......durn ankle-biters.

OK,

I like things right.

I called John at PCW. He says his spring is stronger.

I laid out all the syptoms and like you folks great input he suggested a complete

bleed on the hyd system, new fluid......etc. I ordered a couple gaskets, his spring.

I'm not inclined to put 2 in, although as well as you all say it will work, I'd give it a try if this wasn't a long trip comin' up.

Thanks for all your input

regards

Jim

OK,

I like things right.

I laid out all the syptoms and like you folks great input he suggested a complete

bleed on the hyd system, new fluid......etc. I ordered a couple gaskets, his spring.

I'm not inclined to put 2 in, although as well as you all say it will work, I'd give it a try if this wasn't a long trip comin' up.

regards

Jim

As far as I am concerned, this is the way to go. PCW has the product to do the job. When I re-did mine last fall (including new plates) I felt like I could raise the front wheel.

:farmer:

OK,

I like things right.

regards

Jim

That is the right way to go, you will like the PCW spring, I have installed a dozen of them atleast. I figured if you were in a pinch you could go with the 2 springs. I actually installed it in my '89 to try it for myself so I could comment on how it worked 1st hand

:)

Side note:

Took the cover off the clutch reservoir last night........what a messssssssssssssss.

I was real surprised at the amount of moisture in the rubber boot.

I have a power vac, from harbor freight (like that mityvac I'm guessing).

Took a bottle and a half of DOT 4 to get it to run clear of the gunk. And that included scrubing out the reservoir.

Didn't have a chance to even fire off the motor and give it a try after the clean out.

I'll just wait for the spring to come and change it out.

My advice.......flush-bleed your clutch at least every 1-2 yrs.

That is the right way to go, you will like the PCW spring, I have installed a dozen of them atleast. I figured if you were in a pinch you could go with the 2 springs. I actually installed it in my '89 to try it for myself so I could comment on how it worked 1st hand

:)

Is the PCW a kit, or just a better spring?