IGNORED

to those on facebook

Guest tx2sturgis

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why after warning people does this always have to become an Isaid she said thing. I heard the warning and I still choose to use FaceBook as I always have. I guess people shouldn't take things personal and such.

I am pretty sure that Tx2Sturgis's updates to this thread are meant to be informatory and not as an "I told you so" type of situation. My above comment was simply what I had though as I skimmed the two postings that Tx2Sturgis made above there.

I agree with you, I choose to use it full well knowing the risks and don't see it as a big deal. As for some of the back and forth earlier in the thread - well that is a different question which may be what you were addressing here but it is unclear to me.

no biggie.

Friends:

Facebook does not appeal to me, never has. I tried it, added one or two friends, and I have only made a couple of entries in 3 years, and only checked it about twice a year.

Now we hear of all the politics and corruption, and security problems, and now to top it off Mark Zuckerberg, a billionaire and co-founder of FB, called the users of Facebook, and I quote: "Dumb f**ks". ( he used ALL the letters!)

How can you stay in a place like that?

I prefer MySpace because its rich in media content and I've met many good friends there. Sure, its not perfect, but good enough for me! I plan to stay on MySpace.

Below are several links dealing with the problems of FB, and quitting FB, or heck, just google "how to quit facebook".

I know some of you are addicted and will never quit. At least look at some of these pages and then make your decision, with full knowledge of the outcome.

I have not signed up on FB and will not. I don't want the world to know my business. I signed up on My Space several years ago for a very short time. I just find that these things that are free end up having a lot of BS. It's the truth, nothing in this world is free!

The 12 Bucks for VR is probably the best $12 I've ever spent. :bighug:

• 8 months later...

Personally, I like Facebook. Yes, I know that there have been some issues but I have found it to be a very good service for some things. Over the past few months, I have been able to connect with a few friends that I had lost track of years ago. Just last weekend I found a friend that I had lost contact with in about 1975. I have looked for him a few times over the years but didn't know what had happened to him. I found him on Facebook on Sunday and sent him a message. He actually called my Monday night and we spent about an hour catching up on old times. He lives in Colorado Springs now.

It has it's problems but has sure helped me reconnect with some folks that would probably not have found otherwise.

• 2 months later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Well here we go again. The zuckmeister (mr. social value!) and his facebank abomination is on 20 year watch by the US government, yet this guy can look you straight in the face and say his company is about just 2 people connecting.....but oh by the way, if you want to earn money off of this, you better be rich already. Yall regular folk...the ones that facebook makes money off of, well dont bother, you cant afford to buy any IPO shares, period.

Privileged investors only, please!

What a worm.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2012/02/the-facebook-ipo-zuckerbergs-letter-to-investors/1

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-02-01/facebook-investors/52922752/1

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
If you don't like it, they stay off of it. Several of us enjoy it, for what it is. I just do the minimum, and it does what I need it to do.

Well the thing is that my computer has plenty of facebook tracking cookies that let FB knew where my browser is going, even tho i'm not even ON facebook. But anytime that someone sends a link on twitter or email or if i just visit a page with facebook ads its sets a facebook cookie. Some of these are persistent cookies that I have tried to clear, but they just show up later.

If you surf the web these days, you can only stay off the FB tracking software if you go into private browsing mode and that makes your web experience a bit different. The main result is that your web browser and the websites you visit often wont remember you, or wont even function correctly, and you will have to enter passwords everytime you visit them, and sometimes the website will warn you that you must have cookies enabled to continue. This website is a good example of using cookies. It knows who you are when you come back. If you visit 10 times a day it will know who you are, or dont visit for a week or more, you wont have to log in, because of the cookies it sets.

Multiply this times dozens of websites and it can be a pain to login on every visit.

So I leave my cookies function enabled. And so Zuckky and his buds and advertisers know where I'm going on the internet all the time. Just as they are keeping up with 800 million members.

It kinda stinks, dont you agree?

Or maybe you dont.

But a guy thats worth that kinda money doesnt need to worry about what I think, or what you think.

Just be aware when your employer or the government decides they dont like the things you do on the internet your ISP and Facebank both have details about where you go on the net, even if you log out of the website.

Oh well. George Orwell was right:

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. " -George Orwell

"Big Brother is watching you." -George Orwell

Edited by tx2sturgis

Well here we go again. The zuckmeister (mr. social value!) and his facebank abomination is on 20 year watch by the US government, yet this guy can look you straight in the face and say his company is about just 2 people connecting.....but oh by the way, if you want to earn money off of this, you better be rich already. Yall regular folk...the ones that facebook makes money off of, well dont bother, you cant afford to buy any IPO shares, period.

Privileged investors only, please!

What a worm.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2012/02/the-facebook-ipo-zuckerbergs-letter-to-investors/1

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-02-01/facebook-investors/52922752/1

Isn't that how free enterprise works?... Find a niche that people need (or think they need) and fill that niche to make your living.

Why give a guy a black eye over making a bunch of money? No one is forcing people to use Facebook.

I use it and like it, and know many that do.

Brian

Guest tx2sturgis
Isn't that how free enterprise works?... Find a niche that people need (or think they need) and fill that niche to make your living.

Why give a guy a black eye over making a bunch of money? No one is forcing people to use Facebook.

I use it and like it, and know many that do.

Brian

I have nothing against free enterprise. But this is the guy who is talking about how he created Facebook, but he doesnt mention his famous quote about his users:

"They trust me — dumb f**ks," says Zuckerberg in one of the instant messages, first published by former Valleywag Nicholas Carlson at Silicon Alley Insider, and now confirmed by Zuckerberg himself in Jose Antonio Vargas's New Yorker piece."

You can google the quote if you think I made it up. I am not trying to take on the 800 million users who love it. Just be aware of what is going on.

Below is a screen snapshot from my settings panel where I can delete the cookies stored in my browser. I'm not a member of Facebook, but it has set cookies that I get rid of now and then, yet they always re-appear.

There are currently 1151 cookies on my browser, and yes many are from sites I have never even heard of. Still, the websites I visit that look for familiar cookies see that facebook cookie and the data is collected whether I am a member or not.

There is ZERO opt out policy for every human who surfs the web.

I can remove the other cookies and most of them stay away, but the facebook cookies always come back. This is happening on every browser everywhere, except if you turn all cookies off.

And I dont like it. I guess I'm pissing against the wind here tho.

Shame.

And so Zuckky and his buds and advertisers know where I'm going on the internet all the time. Just as they are keeping up with 800 million members.

It kinda stinks, dont you agree? Or maybe you dont.

If this fellow and his buds have that much time to find out what 800 million people are doing all the power to him. I can find something better to do with my time.

And if big brother is watching he too is wasting his time as I am not doing anything wrong.

It may be a the wrong attitude but I don't have time to worry about it. Although I do have an idea what you are saying.

Brad

Guest tx2sturgis

This all got me to thinking, so I did a search for cookie managers for safari.

I have looked at these before, but most of the good ones cost money.

Well I installed one thats called Cookie Stumbler (trial), and it promises to deal with some of this junk.

I will try it out and see if I like it before I hand over my money. 14 day free trial. After that I suppose they will be tracking me too!

http://www.writeitstudios.com/index.php

There is a video there, (scroll down) worth the 2 minutes or so to watch it.

Scary stuff:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/undeletable-cookie/

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

One of the more interesting things about all this security and cookies 'bidness' is that because of the security holes in Adobe Flash and the various ways that websites can do some damage if they want to, is the fact that websites that use flash content can get into your computer and do things you never thought of, like turning on the microphone and camera on your computer, if it has those items.

Ok...yer thinking, yeah he watches too many CSI shows.

Ok, check this out. These are the settings in YOUR browsers Flash Player, not mine, and not the website you are visiting.

Clicking on those tabs, you can change the settings in your flash player, which nearly every browser uses to play content such as video, animation, and some types of data entry forms.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

And this update, from October, tries to assure us that it cant happen again. Ok. I trust big business to not do this again. Right.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20122887-245/adobe-to-plug-flash-related-webcam-spying-hole/

The most important thing to remember is not to go on sites you don't know or trust and to have good security in your system. We have a router which is encrypted which is one of the best firewalls you can use. We also use ESET NOD antivirus.

I've been managing our computers (we used to have four of them) for over 10 years now and we've never gotten a virus, worm, trojan, etc. It's mostly the user that has to learn how to use a computer. If you randomly click on sites or ads or whatever, you're likely to get in trouble. Use some common sense and it's all good. :)

Well the thing is that my computer has plenty of facebook tracking cookies that let FB knew where my browser is going, even tho i'm not even ON facebook. But anytime that someone sends a link on twitter or email or if i just visit a page with facebook ads its sets a facebook cookie. Some of these are persistent cookies that I have tried to clear, but they just show up later.

If you surf the web these days, you can only stay off the FB tracking software if you go into private browsing mode and that makes your web experience a bit different. The main result is that your web browser and the websites you visit often wont remember you, or wont even function correctly, and you will have to enter passwords everytime you visit them, and sometimes the website will warn you that you must have cookies enabled to continue. This website is a good example of using cookies. It knows who you are when you come back. If you visit 10 times a day it will know who you are, or dont visit for a week or more, you wont have to log in, because of the cookies it sets.

Multiply this times dozens of websites and it can be a pain to login on every visit.

So I leave my cookies function enabled. And so Zuckky and his buds and advertisers know where I'm going on the internet all the time. Just as they are keeping up with 800 million members.

It kinda stinks, dont you agree?

Or maybe you dont.

But a guy thats worth that kinda money doesnt need to worry about what I think, or what you think.

Just be aware when your employer or the government decides they dont like the things you do on the internet your ISP and Facebank both have details about where you go on the net, even if you log out of the website.

Oh well. George Orwell was right:

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. " -George Orwell

No cookies no search engines no search engines no internet. If you are that concerned about being tracked there is only one way to stop it, burn your computer,ipad, phone head for your cave. Go now before its to late run Forrest run.:stirthepot:

Life is short try to enjoy it.

LOL Redneck!!! You got it!!! :rotfl:

Don't any of you who are so paranoid know how to clear your cache and cookies?

Do you all have something atrocious to hide or something? The Big Brother paranoia seems to be getting worse and worse every year.

Oh, my gosh, they're TRACKING me. Yes, to see your shopping habits, etc., to give you ads more directed to your preferences. Big freaking deal.

You could always switch to Linyx. Far as I know, that's still safe. Heck, use MS DOS to browse. There ya go!!! LOL :rotf:

Zuckerburg.............Steve Jobs.............guys like this are all the same. Me.....I am just jealous that I am not smart enough to come up with something like these two did to make me billions. Do I fault them, no. Jobs was just as big of an a$$ as Zuckerburger. I am sure we could find all kinds of dirt on both. Who cares? I do not like Apple products, so I do not purchase them. If you do not like Facebook. Stay off. This is AMERICA LAND OF THE FREE!! Don't beez hatin' the playas, hates the game.

Went to a brief the other day about Social Media and the way people, companies and countries exploit it and it was a wake up call. If you use those sites be very proactive, post as little personal information as possible especially schedules, travel or anything about what you do. If someone has your mothers maiden name, kids names and birthdate they can add themselves to one of your accounts fairly easily and all that is available on 3/4ths of people profiles. If you talk about work even innocent things can be used against you and unless you personally know all your "friends" they could very easily be someone possing as someone else. Rule of thumb is anything you post on the internet considered it public becasue someone will have a way of viewing it.

If youre worried about cookies and someone using info to drive the advertisers and merchants to your mailbox and phone, you had better not use anything from google, apple or almost any company with a presence on the web.

Google harvests words out of gmail mailboxes (your personal email, read their new privacy policy)) and finds out what interests you. then those ads pop up in your browser while youre surfing or as advertising in places like Facebook on the sidebars,etc. Google also tracks what people are looking for on the net and uses that to put ads that appeal to you on your screen.

Apple, microsoft and so many others are doing exactly the same thing, so if we want to end the practice of data mining,maybe we should be getting our message across to the companies and to the govt (but IMHO I think we have enuff laws already) that we dont like it, but maybe we shouldnt be singling out one company because we dont think it fits our ideals.

Basically my opinion of the net is this: its one big postcard, so treat it like that. Anything you dont want someone to read, dont put it out there because there is a possibility it could be read.

Brian

Guest tx2sturgis
If you do not like Facebook. Stay off.

Yall arent listening.

I guess the facts arent clear enough. I'll try again:

I dont go to facebook, not deliberately, since I dont have an account there. But since millions of webpages we visit all have a facebook 'Like' button, those websites, whether its usa.com, or IRS.gov, abc.com, or whatever, are setting tracking cookies on everyones browsers. You dont see Google 'like' buttons or Apple 'like' buttons or Coca-Cola 'like' buttons all over the internet. Facebook is pervasive in ways that NO other company is.

Yes, Google is in trouble lately also. And I wont stick up for them. But I'm just letting folks know that this is all going on in the background.

And, no I'm not talking about viruses.

Yes I know how to clear the cookies, but this technology is called persistent cookies or evercookies. Getting rid of them does not work., they just come right back. I have watched this happen on my browser many times.

Yall arent listening.

I guess the facts arent clear enough. I'll try again:

I dont go to facebook, not deliberately, since I dont have an account there. But since millions of webpages we visit all have a facebook 'Like' button, those websites, whether its usa.com, or IRS.gov, abc.com, or whatever, are setting tracking cookies on everyones browsers. You dont see Google 'like' buttons or Apple 'like' buttons or Coca-Cola 'like' buttons all over the internet. Facebook is pervasive in ways that NO other company is.

Yes, Google is in trouble lately also. And I wont stick up for them. But I'm just letting folks know that this is all going on in the background.

And, no I'm not talking about viruses.

Yes I know how to clear the cookies, but this technology is called persistent cookies or evercookies. Getting rid of them does not work., they just come right back. I have watched this happen on my browser many times.

If you don't use it then why are you attacking facebook and the people who use it? It isn't really any different than anything you use on the interrnet. Most everything tracks your use and they use it to advertise and sell.

OK I'll get off my :soapbox: now