IGNORED

to those on facebook

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...Facebook thinks they own the word 'book'...suing small startups for using that word in association with a social networking site. What a load of CRAP.

You dont see Wal-Mart suing KMart, or Walgreens....

Zuckerburg is a jerk.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/26/technology/teachbook/index.htm

http://www.teachbook.com/

I guess the inventors of eBook should sue Facebook then.. terms eBook and dynabook have been around since the 70s

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Facebook. I have reconnected with friends and relatives that I have not seen in 30 years. Much of what I post there is silly and probably a waste of time but Facebook has been a blessing much more than a curse. I do have one friend that is a VR member and I know he has posted similar thoughts about reconnecting with the past.

This is not true. You CAN choose who sees your information here. Just click on UserCP and the Profile Privacy in the left menu there.

My apologies, I stand corrected. Another feature I was not aware of.

I never knew that feature was there.

Before Venturers did the privacy act, an old friend of my wifes, who we lost contact looked up my name was able to get to my profile. Sent an email to the president who forwarded it to me. This privacy thing is for the people who don't want to found :sign20:

Brad

As with any social media there are going to be issues. The best way to avoid them is to not join, but for those who have joined know that NOTHING on the Internet is safe and I MEAN NOTHING. If you are going to join one of these sites limit what personal information you post in order to safeguard yourself.

I for one have recently joined FB and can honestly say I am glad I did. I have found, and been found by people I haven't seen or heard from in 30 years. I have taken so many trips down memory lane in the last 2 months and enjoyed each and every one.

I have been in touch with my family more in the past two months than in the past 10 years. Not that that is always a good thing.:missingtooth:

BTW I have more personal information on this site than on my FB page.

Edited by SaltyDawg

Just another reason to not be a member:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/most-facebook-users-have-low-self-esteem-study-50935

Its interesting that the website wants you to 'follow' them on facebook at the end of the article!

So what does that mean about those who use Twitter and post up every couple hours about what they are doing? Is that a sign of low self esteem or narcissism? ;)

Guest tx2sturgis
So what does that mean about those who use Twitter and post up every couple hours about what they are doing? Is that a sign of low self esteem or narcissism? ;)

I TRY not to let it go for 2 hours without posting SOMETHING on there! My fans will be upset if I dont!

:crackup:

Guest tx2sturgis
Na, They'll just think you kicked the bucket..Have you buried and everything in just a couple of hours..:rotf:

Only my very BESTEST twitter freinds who are on my insurance beneficiary list would even THINK of doing that.

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey all - Trust me on this - this site and FaceBook are the least of your worries.

:smash2: Over the years in my career as a programmer / systems & security administrator I've had the need to 'research' a person or two on the internet. I recently ran a series of background checks on a few people and recovered documents from the internet that were over 20 years old. Other items were of older paper archives that had been digitized. The amount of information that our Government has on each of us is amazingly scary and more so when you realize that a large amount of that information is classified as PUBLIC.

:cool17: In researching myself, being who I am I never post anything online that I don't want public, I can still find an amazing amount of information that I didn't put online. This information is provided by our Government and possibly marketing companies, or other companies that I had done business with. Thank you very little.

:detective: Things I can find out about a person may or may not include and may not be limited to the following; current and past addresses, birth certificates, death certificates, SSN's, names of spouse(s), children, siblings, locations of birth/death, family history (trees), criminal records, court records, news articles, aerial imagery of your house, if your house was on the real estate market it might even be possible to find interior photos or virtual tours. If your car was in your drive way when the aerial photo was taken then I know the basic color and size of your car. In my own case the photos were old, but my cars and old boat could be seen. Other info may include email addresses, phone numbers, organizations you belong to, employers, bank name(s), classmates etc. Remember you may have never posted anything online about yourself, but you cannot be sure that a classmate, co-worker or friend did not. Do you know of any embarrassing photos from a high school or college party? Did a friend take that photo? If so it could be online and you don't even know it. (side note: Boomer you old shell-back, I'll bet there are some interesting photos of you on a ship during a crossing the line ceremony. Many Navy ships have or had websites and posted those photos online for family and friends back home to see. :rasberry:)

:backinmyday: This is not meant to scare you, but just to remind you that you are not anonymous in this day an age.

:whistling: Cheers and sleep well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest tx2sturgis

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5bbz5SB7M&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - National UnFriend Day Announcement Featuring William Shatner[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/facebooks-new-email-service-is-censoring-links-to-the-pirate-bay-20101122/

Open and free. Right. If your using facebook email watch out...dont send anything thru there that might get censored! Big Brother is watching you!

Pretty much all e-mail is open unless you have a Digital signature and PKI then it is still not all that secure.

Edited by etcswjoe
Still need to learn how to spell

My son-in-law is one of the super geeks at Google, and once he showed me a program they run that captures nearly anyone's email or social network input on FB, MS or even Yahoo. He actually brought up my last 20 unencrypted FB entries! It is amazing how much of what you type on a BB like this one can be seen by some folks (hi son!). They have access and know how to use it. He can't hack anything that is encrypted like bank accounts, PayPal, purchases, etc., but unencrypted stuff like this site and Facebook are a piece of cake. Pretty scary, ain't it?

Guest tx2sturgis

Encryption is one thing, but most emails are sent in the clear. What I object to is that the FB nazis have decided that certain content in your email is not acceptable and does not forward the email with the content still intact.

Thats censorship. And for a public email provider, that kinda sucks.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/facebooks-new-email-service-is-censoring-links-to-the-pirate-bay-20101122/

Open and free. Right. If your using facebook email watch out...dont send anything thru there that might get censored! Big Brother is watching you!

Okay so I think that there is a little misrepresentation going on here. It is my understanding that Facebook is NOT 'censoring' messages so much as they are trying to cut down on the spam. For what it is worth, the quoted geek.com article specifically references the option to "Share a link via a message" which is a different function than sending a 'private e-mail message' on the facebook system.

I, for one, am glad that they are taking the initiative to try to cut down on the spam and whatnot that is shared on the facebook book system.

DISCLAMER: I may have entered rant mode a little bit on this post...

Since many spammers and scammers want you to click on an external link to get into your system (via virus, malware, Trojan, whatever) facebook is merely blocking the links that get marked as 'spam' by its own users.

Facebook has a feature that allows individual users to mark anything they wish as 'spam'. Which I find quite useful. All of the stupid games that people send me on facebook or whatever, I make all of them as spam since all of them are 3rd party applications that I did not request access to nor do I want them to have access to my [limited] profile.

Your current e-mail provider (unless you host your own server) likely does this already with a 'spam filter'. My work e-mail just about has a coronary if you send or receive a message that has the word "Password" in it.

By the way, your snail mail isn't safe either. Someone could sneak by your house and steal your mail out of your mailbox and read your mail there too. There are lots of vulnerabilities in the world. When it comes down to privacy, if you don't want someone to know something - DON'T Share it to begin with. How hard is that.

As far as 'worrying' about someone reading my e-mails or messages via facebook, posting here on the forum or my private e-mails via the e-mail messaging services I use on a regular basis. Quite frankly, if I am that concerned about someone hearing something I have to say I probably shouldn't say it to begin with. Of course there are some topics I would like to talk about with some and not others, but there is always the chance that ther person I am discussing it with will share the conversation anyways, so again, I revert back to if I want something to be 'private' and remain private I simply do not share.

In my opinion it ALL comes back down to the idea of personal responsibility. YES, if a company or organization suggests that they will 'secure' something for you, they should hold up their end of the bargain. ANY means of communication is open to security holes; the responsibility for YOUR sensitive and personal information ultimately resides on YOU, the USER of that service. For example all of these people that whine because somehow their credit card numbers were hacked through facebook have no one to blame but them selves. There is absolutely no reason to store your credit card information on facebook to begin with!

Regardless of the media, if someone really wants to know what you are up to there are ways to figure that out. There are whole careers and departments dedicated to getting into peoples business. And they formed, *gasp* LONG before facebook and computers came along. Private investigators, detective, spies, nosy neighbors, and buttinskies have existed for a long time. Much longer than the internet, computers, encryption, sign language, Morse code, etc.

So yeah. People really just need to sack up and take responsibility for their own actions.

I think I'll shut it now as I have strayed slightly from my original point.

Edited by LilBeaver
Added disclamer.

Guest tx2sturgis

In my latest articles I was referring to the Facebook policy of censoring: not spam, but links to a torrent site sent from one user to another, simply because the FB folks dont think you should be doing that. It would be the same if Microsoft prohibited your browser from being able to access adult content, or music sharing sites, or for that matter, going to an Apple website. Or GM and Onstar shutting down your car if you go to a strip club or an atheist gathering.

So lets say you uploaded a legitimate file (your artwork, original music, or a movie you made) to a torrent site, and then sent a link to your buddy whos using FB mail.

So FB automatically censors that link. Is that the right thing to do? Well hell no.

Just one more reason to avoid facebook...and its getting easier...there are several up and coming alternatives to facebook, and I for one, will not use facebook or its email unless they fix ALL the problems.