IGNORED

What is everybodies experience with animals that walk or run out in front of them?

midnightventure

I hit a skunk a few years ago. I didn't have much time to react and just naturally went to the head side instead of the other side. A few months ago a dog was on the side of the pavement. I honked the horn and slowed down and moved to the left. The dog just kept on walking and I kept on moving over until I was in the other lane. Then the dog started running and ran right in front of me. I had expected the dog to turn around when I honked but now I am starting to think that their instinct is to continue in the direction that they are already headed. What is everybody elses experience?

your rite , sometimes i can turn a deer with my horns, i have hit a gator , the 4 legged kind , a buzzard and a hawk , the hawk almost broke my shoulder . almost hit a bear , had to use my seat cover remover :rotfl:i almost forgot a 7 in. everglades grasshopper rite in the chest doing over a 120 mph still have a scare ,

I've learned that when you hit a 50 lb dog at 60 mph if you sit back and gas it just before impact the front wheel will go right over the dog but when the dog goes under the rear wheel it will launch you over the front of the bike. Animals are very unpredictable just when you think you know what they are going to do they do just what you did not expect.

I had expected the dog to turn around when I honked but now I am starting to think that their instinct is to continue in the direction that they are already headed. What is everybody elses experience?

I had killed a deer with my 83VR "Deerhunter" last year, don't want to do that again. That is too costly & painful. Yup they continued, more or less in the same direction, as one was thrown off the hwy, from the impact.

Animals and people are totally unpredictable. Had a dog run out in front of me doing about 60. Saw him a ways off and he saw me. He decided he was going to cross the road. Started from the right and crossed to my left and was half way across the oncoming traffic lane. So I moved all the way to the right shoulder. At the last second, the dog turned around and bolted right in the left crash bar. He did not survive. There was no other traffic that time of night and he was under the only streetlight for about 5 miles. WHY ? I have no idea.

I also have hit a few birds and the biggest was an owl that took off from the right side from the tall grass at night. He could not get enough altitude before the windshield caught him. That was one of those ,duck under the windshield, it happened so fast.

Animals don't read the operator's manual- they do whatever they dang please.

Hit a deer in my Explorer on a county road at dusk; almost at a dead stop. Started braking when the lead deer crossed in front of opposing traffic, then trail deer darted between us when the vehicles were 5' apart. Cracked the plastic grille and dented my bumper.

Hit a deer in my Safari on a highway at night; saw it and started slowing while it was a long way off; kept slowing it kept coming, finally hit it at about 10 mph. Shoved the passenger fender back and tweaked the door frame.

Hit a cat on my Venture on a residential county road at night; saw it in the ditch, then it darted across the road at the last minute. Cracked the lower cowl (over the oil filter), but didn't have any problems handling the bike.

Flattened a 'possum's tail at night on a city street; Amy missed it by several feet ahead of me, but I didn't see it until he was in front of me. Swerved slightly, but heard the "thump thump" as my tires rolled over his tail.

Neighbor's dogs are always interesting; they hear me coming, then take off along their fence at full tilt. The interesting part is the hole in the corner of their yard; if they reach it first, they dive through and dart into the street. First time it surprised me; now I adjust speed up or down to throw of their timing. They're not always at the ready, so they surprise me if I haven't seen them for a week or two.

Birds are random; sometimes they're slow taking off from the ground, other times they cross at the wrong time. I've hit a few small ones and I'm glad I haven't tangled with the larger kinds. I don't swerve for birds, but will slow to give them time to clear the road.

Insects are just kamikaze fools. I've been nailed by all kinds, too often to count. I'm just glad the windshield and fairing stop most of them. The bees, wasps and hornets still get sucked into the dead air behind the windshield, so I'm always wary when I see them; good reason to wear a jacket in the summer.

There's all kinds of pets, livestock and wild animals in my neighborhood. Cows are always the big danger. Horses, too, but I've never encountered them loose on the road. Deer rank second, followed by dogs & cats, chickens, guineas, skunks, possums, raccoons. Oh, and frogs; when it rains, there are hundreds of them on the road. I try not to hit them; but it's difficult. At least the turtles aren't moving fast enough to be a problem.

In my entire life, and I turned 57 about three weeks ago, the worst I have ever been hurt was hitting a dog on a 125 Ducati at about 40mph. I was going into a right hand curve when a medium size dog ran out from behind a hedge row and I could not miss him. He ran right into my front tire. I had a friend on the back and we all went down. I was about 15 at the time and got road rash all over.

RandyA

Well, I didn't just pick the name RoadKill out of thin air :rasberry::rotf::dancefool:

I have hit and been hit so many times its not even funny anymore. :crying:Birds, squirells, dogs, cats, racoon, possum, rabbits. But on the other hand I've avoided way more than I've hit. I immeadiately downshift and slow then gas it into the manuver I need to make. I try to follow the NASCAR rule of thumb Aim for it and it probably won't be there by the time you arrive.:2133:

Guest KitCarson

Go to the helmet posting and read what I said about my first experience with a dog.....could very well have died that day.

Animals and dogs are a very dangerous hazard to motorcycles, and at times can appear almost at the last instant, but usually you will see them....and as you gain more and more experience on a bike....it is just one of the things you train yourself to watch out for. I suppose the most help I can give anyone is to tell you to train yourself to not drive 10 feet in front of the bumper. Learn to scan the road way up ahead.......I am always amazed at the people who get caught in road construction at the last minute.......have seen them even slam on the brakes and run into the little orange cones. And on occasion they even run over the people working on the road. So if you train yourself to watch for animals......learn to expect them, and when you see one.......even if it is not in the road........shift that puppy down.......get one foot on top of the rear brake........slow down!!! Just be prepared because animals in or across the road is just a part of riding a bike....but not a concern if you learn to watch for them. Even deer at night and we have a lot of them in South Carolina are not a concern if you ride at the speed limit (I prefer not to ride at night) and what I do if caught at night on a rural road....I do not hold steady in the left track of the road.....I wander all over the road.....do the speed limit, enjoy the cool night air.......the lights will catch their eyes,,,,you will see them in time. Run 75 or 80 at night.....in deer territory........what would you like us to put on your tombstone? Kit

Guest KitCarson
I've learned that when you hit a 50 lb dog at 60 mph if you sit back and gas it just before impact the front wheel will go right over the dog but when the dog goes under the rear wheel it will launch you over the front of the bike. Animals are very unpredictable just when you think you know what they are going to do they do just what you did not expect.
I must have hit a trained dog.........my dog was trained to jump up in the air and land on the forks.......I am sorry for being a smart ass.....no I'm not.......I love to mess around :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: Kit

I went down big time thanks to two dogs. Had a brand spanking new tie on the front on a gravel road when one came out fom behind a hedge followed by it's buddy. I swerved to miss and the font tire, being new and still oily, kicked straight out and I went down breaking three ribs and injuring my rotator cuff. Took two months to heal. Next time I head straight for it and twist the throttle...

Knock on wood have not had that problem. I guess I dont ride when most animals come out to play, I have seen then on the side and so far have not encountered a hit. Hope I dont either but if I do I will be praying I come out of it in a good way.

For the rest of you glad to here you're here to tell about it :080402gudl_prv: and ride safe.

Haven't Hit Many Animals Yet. I Try To Keep Scanning Way Ahead. I Have Found, With Cars, That It Is Not The Deer, Chicken, Etc. That You See And Try To Avoid That Gets You, It Is The Animal In The Brush By The Side Of The Road That Darts Through The Brush Just As You Come Along Side It That Will Get You.

If I Have To Ride At Night I Try To Stay On Roads That Have Wide Shoulders And Are Well Traveled. That Gives Me An Increased Field Of View And The Head Lights Of Other Vehicles To Help Scan For Wild Life. Try To Keep Speed To

I've been fortunate enough to not hit anything major. That being said I would like to think that I wouldn't try to avoid it. Once you take the bike out of a strait path you will not have any control of it. Hit whatever strait on and you stand a better chance of keeping the bike upright.

I do believe that the most important thing would be keep your head in the game. Keep thinking and reacting to how the bike is responding, you might be surprised that the bike would stay up for a good time.

Dang , Am I the only one here to actually hit a real person ? Well I guess I get more points then , don't I ?

Well my story was riding my dirt bike in Alaska on a dirt bike "only" trails in the state park , no joggers allowed ! Well this idiot didn't adhere to the rules and I came jumping over a gully to have this guy jogging the gully trail under me . My knobby tire on my Yamaha 500 chewed the crap out of his arms when he threw his hands up to protect himself . When I landed on the other side of the gully , I stopped to make sure he was OK . The flesh on his arms were pretty chewed up like hamburger meat and he lunged for me . He wasn't really smart at all , as I was fully dress in all my riding armor and helmet . He was hotter than a prostitute who received a bounce check ! My riding buddy whom was behind me immediately went after the park ranger . The guy was attended to medically and then to the squad car . Got charged for trespassing , assault and endangerment . I wasn't charged for self defense after he got a few extra broken bones after the accident .

Critters , I just give them space as much as I possibly can .

BEER30

Back in the late 60's I was riding my yamaha 350, (?), without a helmet and had a bumble bee hit me square between the eyes. I was only doing about 30 mph. It rolled me right off the back of the bike. How I did not hit my head on the pavement I don't know, but wrecked my jacket and the bike rolled down into the barrowpit and came to a gentle stop leaning almost upright.

Couple years later I hit a preacher..... he ran a stop sign and I ran into his right rear door on the stationwagon. I was only going about 20 mph and stopping when I saw him. Jump just as I hit him and flew over the top catching the buttons on my jacket and popping them off. Luckily I landed on my head, (was wearing a helmet that time!). Went to school next day, but woke up 2 days later in the hospital.... they said I started to act weirder than normal in school.... concussion or some such thing.

Bike was fixed up and sold.... my brother tracked it down a few years ago and is fixing it up.

Hit a house cat on my RoadStar on the way to Stardays in Ogden a few years ago. De-capitated it with my floor board. By the time I got to Ogden I did not have any rear brakes.... bled them out, worked fine. Must have got a bubble in the lines.

Had a bald eagle fly up from a dead deer in the ditch this spring...... You wont believe how much poop one of those birds can drop trying to get some more air!!! I was ducking low but forgot to lower the windshield and he barely clipped it with a talon..... yup, pretty sharp and large up close!

Came over a hill on my Suzuki RE5, (rotary engine, sold it years ago when starting to raise family... would trade most of the family for the bike today:)), stopped in the middle of a herd of deer. Never touched them with the bike, but got kicked in the arm by one as she took off. that hurt a bit.

Was riding along a golf course a few years ago watching these guys and his little white ball sailing into the air..... yup, still have the helmet with the ding in it from where it hit me.

Hit a coyote last fall in WY. Night time and he was in my lane watching a semi coming from the other direction..... I slowed to a stop about 3 feet from him and he did not know I was there..... semi got close and I bumped him with my front tire..... he zigged when he should have zagged and became road pizza. Sure had a suprised look for a second tho....

:whistling: