IGNORED

Was looking at Harleys

Art708

It seems that many of my friends have changed over to a Harley in the past year or 2. Two of them even traded their 1800 Goldwings for Ultras. They all say how much they like them. I have to admit that the Harley looks great and sounds fantastic. So I figured WTF, I'll go test ride. There's a shop in Columbia that sells nothing but used Harleys so off I went. I rode 2 Ultra Classics, one Road King, and one Softtail Heritage....none older than a 2004. Man, I wanted so much to like the Ultra...what a great looking bike with all the amenities. I couldn't get past all the shaking at idle and slow speeds. How does someone ride these things all day long? The only one that I really enjoyed riding was the Softtail. It was a really nice ride...very smooth. Now if I could get an Ultra Classic with the balanced Softtail engine, I'd be all over it. The salesman said to just get the Heritage Softtail but I pointed out that it was a "stripped" bike. I'd be giving up my fairing, hard bags, radio, CB, and most of all my cassette player if I bought it. I came home on the RSV still not seeing what my friends see in their new Harleys. My quest for my perfect motorcycle continues. I may have to go back to a Valkyrie in order to be happy. I have owned 3 of them and they are still by far my favorite bike. Maybe it's time to put the RSV on Ebay and look for a Valk Interstate. Anyway, just wanted to tell about my experience with the Harley.

I've often wondered why they don't put the balanced motor on solid mounts in a bagger.

Should be able to lower seat height and stuff when you don't have to have that extra 2 inches of room all around the motor to let it shake.

How new are your friends bikes? In 09 the stretched the frame and stiffened it up quite a bit for more stable handling and passenger room. Last HD bagger I rode was an 07, and wasn't impressed. I will try an 09 or newer somday, just to see what it's like. But it would have to be waayy better to get me to switch back to them again.

Just my $.02, Scooter Bob

What I don't understand is why they put the Road Glide frame mounted fairing on the V-rod and make a touring bike they can't sell enough of. Smooth,, fast , liquid cooled and stable as hell.

They changed everything on the Glide Series a few years ago. The new bikes address all of your needs. Better handling and idle plus some nice tech stuff.

I never thought about going to a Harley but the new Ultra Glide is nice.

It seems that many of my friends have changed over to a Harley in the past year or 2. Two of them even traded their 1800 Goldwings for Ultras. They all say how much they like them.

At that price $$$ are you really going to say "man did I ever screw up"? :stickpoke: :witch_brew:

Bryan

It seems that many of my friends have changed over to a Harley in the past year or 2. Two of them even traded their 1800 Goldwings for Ultras. They all say how much they like them. I have to admit that the Harley looks great and sounds fantastic. So I figured WTF, I'll go test ride. There's a shop in Columbia that sells nothing but used Harleys so off I went. I rode 2 Ultra Classics, one Road King, and one Softtail Heritage....none older than a 2004. Man, I wanted so much to like the Ultra...what a great looking bike with all the amenities. I couldn't get past all the shaking at idle and slow speeds. How does someone ride these things all day long? The only one that I really enjoyed riding was the Softtail. It was a really nice ride...very smooth. Now if I could get an Ultra Classic with the balanced Softtail engine, I'd be all over it. The salesman said to just get the Heritage Softtail but I pointed out that it was a "stripped" bike. I'd be giving up my fairing, hard bags, radio, CB, and most of all my cassette player if I bought it. I came home on the RSV still not seeing what my friends see in their new Harleys. My quest for my perfect motorcycle continues. I may have to go back to a Valkyrie in order to be happy. I have owned 3 of them and they are still by far my favorite bike. Maybe it's time to put the RSV on Ebay and look for a Valk Interstate. Anyway, just wanted to tell about my experience with the Harley.

I just bought an 09 Ultra--(See--I'm a baaad boy--on this site)Its a completely different ride. Some vibration at idle and slow speeds,but nothing to complain about. Smooths right out above 10mph. Put about 500 miles on it now and really starting to enjoy the relaxed ride.Plenty of power when you need it. Not the rocket my 86 VR is, just different.Stereo is great. Wife loves the rear seat and backrest. She still enjoys the 86 VR --took that for a ride Wed night. Something I did notice thou--my right hand would start to get numb on the VR around 100 to 150 mile and I would have to use the cruise and shake my hand to get the numbness out. Not so with the Ultra---I like the seating to handlebar better on the Ultra. I'll have to switch with Buzman for an hour or so and ride his 08 RSV. Rode it once,but only for about 5 miles.I do get more looks on the harley--wonder why--some people--You ride what you like and I'll ride what I like and we will have a great time together. :thumbsup2:

I test rode the '09 Ultra several times and although they do shake at idle, it has been reduced and dampened so much over older models, it's really not bothersome. Once you start rolling, there's no shake at all...in fact, they're very smooth. Plus, they now have that engine cylinder cut-out which helps at idle.

To be totaly honest and even though I do like my RSMV, if I had the bucks I would be riding a new Ultra.

The main thing that I don't like about my '09 RSV is the way it buzzes. I can put my hand on the tank while riding down the highway and it feel it buzzing . I also feel it in the footpegs and handlebars although not as much as the tank. Before everyone jumps up and says "sync the carbs" ... I have..several times. The last time I checked ...last Monday...they were perfectly in sync. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I've decided that this is just the way these bikes run. It'll do until I find something I like better. I Will give an '09 Ultra a try soon...maybe rent one for the weekend.

I test rode the '09 Ultra several times and although they do shake at idle, it has been reduced and dampened so much over older models, it's really not bothersome. Once you start rolling, there's no shake at all...in fact, they're very smooth. Plus, they now have that engine cylinder cut-out which helps at idle.

To be totaly honest and even though I do like my RSMV, if I had the bucks I would be riding a new Ultra.

Yes, they are VERY smooth once you're moving down the highway. They are Great touring bikes in that respect.

Guest Swifty
My quest for my perfect motorcycle continues.

My quest continues too as the Browner gets older. And I've been thinking...dangerous, I know. Why doesn't someone come up with a kit bike something along the lines of what FactoryFive.com does for cool hot rods. In a kit bike they could make the custom frame to fit different engines, drivetrains and fairing options and the consumer would then be able to build their perfect bike. Wiring harness, instruments, fuel systems would all come with the kit to fit the configuration of the frame. My perfect bike would look something like the Stratoliner, with a Vmax engine and a variation of fairings that would protect the rider and luggage bags that wouldn't looking too bulky. zoom, zoom. Can anybody photoshop that for me?

I really cant say anything negative about a harley because I have never had one. My thing is that there are so many and now that the asian bikes look like harleys too it makes it rough making a decision. First of all I dont have the money for any new bike so that settles that... but if I did I like to be a little different, not whacky different just different enough. Honda makes a cb919 that they call a standard. I feel it is a mixed breed between a standard and a crotch rocket, but so is my v65 sabre. I still like the looks of being able to see the motor on a bike and so many have it alllllll covered in plastic....wth... a friend of mine and I were talking the other day and thinking IF we had the money what would we have a victory or a harley.. good question..

But needless to say I am happy for anyone who finds that perfect ride, whether it is an older bike, newer bike or asian or uk or usa or whatever... do your own thing and be nice is about all you can do..

im done now..lol

I really cant say anything negative about a harley because I have never had one. My thing is that there are so many and now that the asian bikes look like harleys too it makes it rough making a decision. First of all I dont have the money for any new bike so that settles that... but if I did I like to be a little different, not whacky different just different enough. Honda makes a cb919 that they call a standard. I feel it is a mixed breed between a standard and a crotch rocket, but so is my v65 sabre. I still like the looks of being able to see the motor on a bike and so many have it alllllll covered in plastic....wth... a friend of mine and I were talking the other day and thinking IF we had the money what would we have a victory or a harley.. good question..

But needless to say I am happy for anyone who finds that perfect ride, whether it is an older bike, newer bike or asian or uk or usa or whatever... do your own thing and be nice is about all you can do..

im done now..lol

One of my friends just 2 weeks ago traded his 2008 Victory Kingpin for a 2000 Ultra...says that he likes the Ultra MUCH better than the Victory.

I

im done now..lol

I'll be the first to tell you that I don't think anyone can find the perfect bike. I looked for the last 2 years at everything out there. We went back and forth between the RSV and Harley,and it was a toss up. Wife and I decided on the harley, and we wouldn't have bought this one yet, only we found a great deal by accident. I have always loved my 86 VR. Try them all--have one of each in the garage--ride the one you feel like rideing today. :mo money:Maybe I'll win the lotto :rotfl:

I do like the lower center of gravity of the Harley.

I came home on the RSV still not seeing what my friends see in their new Harleys. My quest for my perfect motorcycle continues. I may have to go back to a Valkyrie in order to be happy. I have owned 3 of them and they are still by far my favorite bike. Maybe it's time to put the RSV on Ebay and look for a Valk Interstate. Anyway, just wanted to tell about my experience with the Harley.

In your post, you never said what it is you don't like about the RSV. I like Valkyries too, but I've never ridden one. What is it you like about them over the RSV?

In your post, you never said what it is you don't like about the RSV. I like Valkyries too, but I've never ridden one. What is it you like about them over the RSV?

The Valks are smoother, faster, less top heavy. I find the Valk to be all around more comfortable for me. The diehard RSV and RSTD riders will disagree with me but that's what it's all about....personal choice. The things I don't like about the RSV are the buzziness, the sound they make, and the topheaviness.

WHY????

You get twice the bike at 2/3 the price when you by Venture............:stickpoke::stickpoke:

I don't think that you get twice the bike by buying a Venture. But that's YOUR opinion and you're entitled to it. And I'm sure that thousands of Harley riders don't agree with you either, but then that's THEIR opinion also.

You know what they say about opinions..............:Laugh:

I don't think that you get twice the bike by buying a Venture. But that's YOUR opinion and you're entitled to it. And I'm sure that thousands of Harley riders don't agree with you either, but then that's THEIR opinion also.

I saw an add for a Harley Davidson Ultra Class CVO whatever that is. It was advertised at $36,999 :yikes:. Just one of the many reasons I don't own nor do I have any desire to own a Harley. Great looking bike but no thank you.

Factory Customized. regular ones are in the $21,000 area last I looked.

Later, Scooter Bob

The Valks are smoother, faster, less top heavy. I find the Valk to be all around more comfortable for me. The diehard RSV and RSTD riders will disagree with me but that's what it's all about....personal choice. The things I don't like about the RSV are the buzziness, the sound they make, and the topheaviness.

If you are having buzziness in the hands and feet, they get rid of the brickstones or do a carb tune. As soon as I feel the buzz in my hands, I do a carb tune.

For those of you who get so defensive whenever anyone says that they don't like this or that about the Venture...... no where do I say that I thought the Harley was a better bike. And nowhere did I say that the RSV wasn't a good bike. I just stated my experience from riding 4 Harleys and said that there were a couple of things that I...I personally...don't like about the RSV......nothing more.