IGNORED

Red Light Runners

SilvrT

So there we were (Nina & I), stopped at a red light on a 4-lane street, with left turn lanes, us in the inside lane waiting for the green to go straight thru.

I'm watching the light for it to turn yellow for the cross traffic. We're first out. Light changes yellow...then red and..... BANG! Two cars travelling opposing direction on the cross street collide right in front of us. One was making a left turn, the other going straight thru. The one going straight thru (a red car) hit the one turning left (a blue car) near the right rear door and caused it to slide a bit. The red car stopped, the blue car regained control, made the turn and stopped at the curb.

They both RAN THE RED LIGHT !!!

So I get out to offer assistance to the driver of the red car...still stopped in the middle of the intersection. She asked for my info (which I would have given her) but I said "you should know that both of you ran the red light". She immediately argued that and didn't want my info so I thought "too bad" and I left. (nobody was injured). I reported it to the police and gave my statement to ICBC (govern't insurance co).

My thinking is, if I can do anything to stop idiots who are in too much of a hurry that they run a red light, I will. Danged if I'm going to let either one of those drivers get away with that!

ps... we weere in the truck, not the scoot, on our way to work.

So I get out to offer assistance to the driver of the red car...still stopped in the middle of the intersection. She asked for my info (which I would have given her) but I said "you should know that both of you ran the red light". She immediately argued that and didn't want my info so I thought "too bad" and I left. (nobody was injured). I reported it to the police and gave my statement to ICBC (govern't insurance co).

My thinking is, if I can do anything to stop idiots who are in too much of a hurry that they run a red light, I will. Danged if I'm going to let either one of those drivers get away with that!

:happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65:

Terrific! I'm glad no one was hurt.

Guest seuadr
So there we were (Nina & I), stopped at a red light on a 4-lane street, with left turn lanes, us in the inside lane waiting for the green to go straight thru.

I'm watching the light for it to turn yellow for the cross traffic. We're first out. Light changes yellow...then red and..... BANG! Two cars travelling opposing direction on the cross street collide right in front of us. One was making a left turn, the other going straight thru. The one going straight thru (a red car) hit the one turning left (a blue car) near the right rear door and caused it to slide a bit. The red car stopped, the blue car regained control, made the turn and stopped at the curb.

They both RAN THE RED LIGHT !!!

you know, what i opened the thread, i was hoping for some cool LED farkle i could adorn my beauty with.

but this just makes me sad.. people are in so much of a hurry and they have no idea that they are not only carrying the lives of them and their passengers in their hands, but everyone on the road! if these people would stop and realize that that extra 30 seconds isn't worth possibly killing someone .. i think the road would be a much safer place.

God Forbid you mention this to that kind of driver, though, you know that all of the rest of us just aren't as good a driver as them and our time is not NEARLY as valueable :rolleyes:

Here in Flint whenever the light turns green you have to stay put until everyone is done running the red lights, A few years ago I'm stopped at a light and when it turned green an old Lincoln across the intersection from me takes right off and gets hit by a Caviler running the light. 4 Teenagers jump out of the Lincoln, and 4 teenagers jump out of the Caviler and they all take off running in different directions. Just a typical day in the armpit of America.

Here in Flint whenever the light turns green you have to stay put until everyone is done running the red lights, A few years ago I'm stopped at a light and when it turned green an old Lincoln across the intersection from me takes right off and gets hit by a Caviler running the light. 4 Teenagers jump out of the Lincoln, and 4 teenagers jump out of the Caviler and they all take off running in different directions. Just a typical day in the armpit of America.

Here, when the cross street light turns red, there is appx a 30 second pause before the green light comes on... supposedly I guess to compensate for the same situation. Even with that though, it's common practise, at least for me, to look both ways before proceeding on the green because it's not uncommon for vehicles, especially those who are turning left, to go against a red. They might be sitting behind a couple other vehicles that are out into the intersection waiting to turn, while they at the time are still at or behind the crosswalk....light changes, cars in the intersection go and the guy that's 3rd, even though he's not into the intersection goes anyway....they seem to think that since they are there, they have the right to proceed....as if they are hooked to the back bumper of the vehicle ahead of them or something.

jerks!

Don't got no red lights here on Saltspring, no green ones either. We just have to watch out for people running the stop signs. There is one intersection I always slow down at, even though I am on the main road. It is a main intersection with clear visibility and well posted, even the stop signs are over sized, yet it is the worst spot for accidents on the island.

I used to have to pass a private school to get to work. Most of the kids and parents dropping off kids would come from the opposite direction that I was going so they were turning and crossing the highway in front of me. It never failed that when the light changed that there would be another 6-8 cars continue on after their light had turned red. A few times they were unlucky enough for me to be at the head of the line to wake them up. I called the local PD a couple of times but they never did a thing about it.

Knowing the reputation of the school, they either thought they were privileged enough to drive through a red light or they were just blindly following the sheep ahead of them. :soapbox:

Guest seuadr

Knowing the reputation of the school, they either thought they were privileged enough to drive through a red light or they were just blindly following the sheep ahead of them.

is there a difference? :hihi:

blindly following the sheep ahead of them.

Many people, from my observance, are "followers". The "monkey see - monkey dooers" ... not a lot ya can do to change that mentality....that's just who they are but it sure can be frustrating sometimes to those who aren't ... and maybe vice versa.

Here, when the cross street light turns red, there is appx a 30 second pause before the green light comes on...

I've never been to Canada, but surely you are exagerating, or that's a typo. 30 seconds is an eternity. 3 to 4 seconds would be more than sufficient. Here in Houston, many green lights aren't more than 15-20 seconds long. If that's true, then it's no wonder there are so many runners. I've got to be honest, if I knew there were 30 seconds after the red before the next light turned green then I'd probably run a few myself.

I've never been to Canada, but surely you are exagerating, or that's a typo. 30 seconds is an eternity. 3 to 4 seconds would be more than sufficient. Here in Houston, many green lights aren't more than 15-20 seconds long. If that's true, then it's no wonder there are so many runners. I've got to be honest, if I knew there were 30 seconds after the red before the next light turned green then I'd probably run a few myself.

I've been to Vancouver a few times now and I have found a few lights that have at least a 15-20 second delay. Some of the delays may be increased due to the pedestrian cross-walk activation buttons, but the are there...

In the U.S. There are a lot of lights setup with the 'delayed green' system, exactly for this reason - to allow traffic to fully clear from the intersection before the other directions turn green. Unfortunately it seems that people do this precise behavior - push the red.

ok, maybe I eggzaggerated a wee tad...maybe 5 or 10 seconds... I dunno... but now ya got me wonderin so I am gonna time them next chance I get and I'll report back on the EXACT delay time.

I've been to Vancouver a few times now and I have found a few lights that have at least a 15-20 second delay. Some of the delays may be increased due to the pedestrian cross-walk activation buttons, but the are there...

In the U.S. There are a lot of lights setup with the 'delayed green' system, exactly for this reason - to allow traffic to fully clear from the intersection before the other directions turn green. Unfortunately it seems that people do this precise behavior - push the red.

Exactly. Like the old saying goes "give em an inch and they'll take a mile." Many of those folks are running the light BECAUSE THEY KNOW that the cross light isn't going to change right away. Whoever was in charge of making that decision has caused their own problem. If the light turns yellow and you can safely stop, then do so. if you enter the intersection after it's turned red then you should get thet book thrown at you. That's why I really don't have much of a problem with red light cameras, as long as there is a proper length of yellow. Where I do have a problem is when they intentionally shorten the yellow to raise more revenue from the tickets. Red light cameras should be about SAFETY, not MONEY.

I have no issue with traffic that is already into the intersection waiting to make the left turn when the light turns red...they must then clear the intersection because it is illegal to back up across the crosswalk. The delayed green is specifically for that purpose ... it's those drivers who haven't even passed thru the crosswalk that go anyway when the light turns red....and probably because they "know there's a delay" but that delay was not intended for them and they should not proceed (aka push the red).

I've got to be honest, if I knew there were 30 seconds after the red before the next light turned green then I'd probably run a few myself.

"give em an inch and they'll take a mile." Many of those folks are running the light BECAUSE THEY KNOW that the cross light isn't going to change right away. .......... if you enter the intersection after it's turned red then you should get thet book thrown at you.

Looking at your comments, then it would appear you'd be the one getting the book thrown at you.... :witch_brew:

seems there's some contradiction happening here....

Looking at your comments, then it would appear you'd be the one getting the book thrown at you.... :witch_brew:

seems there's some contradiction happening here....

No contradiction. A thirty second delay is beyond what is reasonable. If I got a ticket, I'd probably put up a stink, and then take my punishment. And I would also lobby to have it changed. Consider it civil disobedience. Actually, the reason I put that comment in my second post is because I didn't want anyone who read the first one to think that I was advocating breaking the law. Unlike a lot of folks I'm more than willing to admit that I make some poor choices, and don't feel that I am so special that I shouldn't receive the same consequences as anybody else who messes up.

My point is that the 30 second delay is not a solution to the problem. It is in fact part of the CAUSE of the problem.

My point is that the 30 second delay is not a solution to the problem. ...

I think we all can agree that the real solution is for people to stop being so self-centered/aloof/stupid, whatever you want to call it - and just respect the rules of the road for the sake of everyone's safety.

But what are the chances of that happening... :happy34:

Here in Johnson City, TN, they are putting up red light cameras at most of the busy intersections.

RandyA

That's a waste of your tax dollars ! It was tried here, challenged and reversed as the courts could not prove "who" was driving the car. The cameras were removed. Think of the money....first a "study" then a "plan" then a "contract" then a "purchase" then an "install" then,,,,,,,,,,,,,reverse the whole dang process......all at a LOSS! (do gooder politicians at your service)..:rasberry:

Renne........

I agree that the cameras are not the solution. Catching and putting REAL fines on those who do it is the answer. I just don't think it's right to ticket the owner of the car not knowing who the driver was.

As for the cost of putting them in, I doubt it costs anything. I know that in some cities it is done with a contract with the manufacturer. I was talking to a customer somewhere around Akron, OH and he was spearheading a petition drive to get the issue on the ballot to have them removed. He told me that the city had entered a contract with a manufacturer and that the company put in the cameras free of charge and they get a percentage of all the tickets written. It was a no loose deal for the city.

Guest seuadr

That's a waste of your tax dollars ! It was tried here, challenged and reversed as the courts could not prove "who" was driving the car. The cameras were removed. Think of the money....first a "study" then a "plan" then a "contract" then a "purchase" then an "install" then,,,,,,,,,,,,,reverse the whole dang process......all at a LOSS! (do gooder politicians at your service)..:rasberry:

Renne........

i guess it depends on the area. around here we've had some red light cams for a while in lansing. the owner of the car gets fined if they were not driving, guess they are gonna have to go get their pound of flesh from whomever was.