IGNORED

Dealer Tire Change Prices

KevinsDa1

I purchased a pair of E3's at the end of last season. I'm having the local dealer install them. Is $200 a fair price if I supply the tires?

:240:

Kevin

Is he going to remove both the wheels off the bike, reinstall them and balance them?

As long as he will be putting back together correctly and greasing the splines (have him grease the hub fingers too) thats not a bad price. He hitting you a bit harder as you didn't get the tires from him I'm assuming, so he's making a bit more on the labor.

I will provide you with the information and you can decide whether it is fair or not:

$80 total labor (including tax and a ~$5 disposal fee, or something like that). I drove my bike in to them in the morning and picked it up that afternoon. I did save $15 bucks or so because I removed the saddlebags.

I did not ask them to grease anything up but the service manager told me that the mechanic went ahead and greased the hub pins for me since he had it apart.

Here in the Atlanta area we are fortunate to have a shop that will do a total install of tires you bring to them (including grease on the splines) for $100; only $75, I think, if you buy the tires from them. Two Brothers in Lawrenceville GA. Always good and reliable work from two really good guys.

At current shop rates your Dealer is charging you for about 3 hours labor, which is way longer than it ought to take. On the other hand, if you have no other installment options, you don't likely have a choice. I encourage you to ask them what their price would be if you purchased the tires from them, which will help you decide what to do next time around.

TERRY

Here in the Atlanta area we are fortunate to have a shop that will do a total install of tires you bring to them (including grease on the splines) for $100; only $75, I think, if you buy the tires from them. Two Brothers in Lawrenceville GA. Always good and reliable work from two really good guys.

At current shop rates your Dealer is charging you for about 3 hours labor, which is way longer than it ought to take. On the other hand, if you have no other installment options, you don't likely have a choice. I encourage you to ask them what their price would be if you purchased the tires from them, which will help you decide what to do next time around.

TERRY

$100 is a screaming deal for them to take off both front and rear wheels dismount and mount/balance new tires and put it all back together. I say this because it's about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour deal for me to do it if you think about it. Saddlebags come off, atleast the right side muffler comes off to remove the shaft and all back together again. He is being charged shop labor which is probably about $70 and the shop is going to charge him what the book says it's worth. He's also making a bit over due to not getting the tire sale. As long as it's done right and all the greasing is done, it's still not a terrible price.

$100 is a screaming deal for them to take off both front and rear wheels dismount and mount/balance new tires and put it all back together. I say this because it's about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour deal for me to do it if you think about it. Saddlebags come off, atleast the right side muffler comes off to remove the shaft and all back together again. He is being charged shop labor which is probably about $70 and the shop is going to charge him what the book says it's worth. He's also making a bit over due to not getting the tire sale. As long as it's done right and all the greasing is done, it's still not a terrible price.

No argument, at all! These guys do a great job at a great price, which is why so many of us in this area give them our business! We are in agreement here, Squidley, that it really is a one-and-a-half to two hour job and he'll pay a premium for bringing his own tires in.

Terry

No argument, at all! These guys do a great job at a great price, which is why so many of us in this area give them our business! We are in agreement here, Squidley, that it really is a one-and-a-half to two hour job and he'll pay a premium for bringing his own tires in.

Terry

I dont disagree with you Terry, I would have just mentioned to him to bring to one of the members houses and he'd get it done for near free, but it sounded like he was set on having a dealer do it. Perhaps he'll make a MD in his area and then the fun really begins

:)

If you can and don't mind doing the "work" yourself, it can be really cheap. I will be getting new tires in the very near future. Last tire change, I disassembled everything and took the wheels and new tires to a local shop. Total charge was $30 to mount and balance 2 new tires.

Now that I have done this once, next time should go a little faster.

Edited by Jethroish

It's a job that takes 2 1/2 hours to do right.

I wonder if some of these real cheap places are taking the time to torque everything to spec or if they're just slamming them through to get to the next one. Of course that can be an issue at the dealer too.....

Guest scarylarry

And if you want it done right DIY..Might take longer and Lord knows there is more than enough info here on how to remove the tire...

But you did bring up a good point, Do they?

It's a job that takes 2 1/2 hours to do right.

I wonder if some of these real cheap places are taking the time to torque everything to spec or if they're just slamming them through to get to the next one. Of course that can be an issue at the dealer too.....

You should check the Motorcycle Superstore website. They have a local dealer install service. You don't have to buy to see who locally installs. Motorcycle Superstore has local bike shops signed up to install the parts you buy from them. They will direct ship to that shop you pick. The cool part is the shops list their prices for the install service including tires without or without the bike. All you have to do is type in your zip code and it will show all the dealers that participate in your area. In my area the price ranges from 118-160/set. Its is like calling all the local dealers for their prices by typing in your zip code.

:080402gudl_prv:

I guess I'm fortunate. My dealer charged me $145 for a rear ME880 (I know, I know, but I've been running them on two of my bikes and have never ever had a problem) and $18 to balance & mount including greasing the splines. This is his going rate if you buy the tires from him.

If you can not replace your own tire, I wouldn't pay a shop more than $200 IMO. More importantly, if the shop is going to do it...at least give him a tube of Honda Moly60 for them to use on your splines. I personally want to work on my bike for a peace of mind until the next tire change and grease job. At any rate, shop around for prices in your area...you may be able to find a shop within a 25 mile radius that will charge less and potentially do a better job.

My dealer in North Carolina will change out both front and rear, grease the drive shaft, grease the pins and grease the swing arm for $107.00. BUT I have my own tire changer and balancer so I do my own work.

:farmer:

what is the name of the place you use??

I put my E3s on today. I removed the tires/wheels, and took them to a local shop. I watched him as he carefully mounted and computer balanced both. $20/tire. So, I am only out $40 for the mount/balance, and the $10 it cost me for a tube of Honda moly 60.

$50 total...not bad.