IGNORED

windshield left the bike at 50 mph

This afternoon, my wife and I were riding at approximately 50 mph in the Ocala, FL National Forest when I saw the windshield of my '01 RSV quickly leaving the bike. I was able to tuck my chin and the windshield struck my shoulders and helmet driving my head into my wife's face. Thankfully, she has a full face shield that doesn't flip up. I grabbed for her leg as if I was going to keep her from falling (lol) and we pulled over. After confirming we were OK, we turned around and found the destroyed windshield. The attachment points looked OK. We returned home and I got on this site and found that many bikes have had cracking on the attachment tabs. Thinking that was it, I took off the chrome piece and the tabs look brand new. I guess the 6 screws could have been loose. I bought this bike used last year and have put on about 3,000 miles and the fairing has not been apart that I know of.

Any thoughts on how this could have happened and where to buy a replacement w/s, Thanks in advance.

If it was an OEM windshield, loose screws are really the only thing that I can think of that could cause your problem. :confused24:

The OEM shields have slots all along the bottom for fastening the shield into the fairing. They, as well as any other bolt/screw on the bike - probably vibrated themselves loose.

Glad you two are okay!!!

I think it was here that I read about a member loose their windshield on the expressway and they weren't quite as lucky as you two.

As for your question about the replacement shields you could go OEM, clearview or F4 customs. Those seem to be the popular ones around here.

Clearview and F4 customs come in a few different sizes too, so if you decide you'd like to try a different size or whatever that would be a good chance to do it.

I have a clearview XXL with the goldwing style vent in it, and am quite happy with it.

The OEM shields have slots all along the bottom for fastening the shield into the fairing.

...with the exception of one which isn't.

They, as well as any other bolt/screw on the bike - probably vibrated themselves loose.

yep... check everything ... yesterday, after remembering what others here have posted, I checked my saddlebag hinges and sure enuf, the screws were loose.

Ya gotta go over these bikes with a fine tooth comb otherwise you'll be the envy of every Hardly owner (more parts falling off than them) :sign20: :sign just kidding:

Look into this real good if the windshield had not been rattling for awhile this is very odd. Just an FYI blue locktite everything.

Be careful with the LocTite! It has been said here somewhere that it will dissolve ABS plastic.:confused24:

Glad your alright. Another brand of windshield is a Show Chrome windshield. It is wider and lower than stock. Another windshield on the ebay market is Slip Streamer. I would stay away for that company. The seller states the windshield is warrantied but doesn't say how. I purchased a windshield from them and the holes did not line up so I asked him about the warranty and he said he didn't know that he didn't warranty it and he told me to contact Slp Streamer. I emailed them and they didn't answer. I eamiled them again and they told me they didn't warranty the windshield that someone else did and they would have them cantact me. Well they never did so I email Slip Streamer again and they will not answer my email. The Show Chrome fit fine though. I also have a Clearview that is very nice also.

Based on your comment about one screw that actually goes thru the w/s (and confirming it in the service manual on this website, I looked again at my bike and all 6 screws are still in place. I am now going to drive 1.5 hrs back to where I left it (in a ditch) and take a better look at that hole. Thanks for the information.

...with the exception of one which isn't.

yep... check everything ... yesterday, after remembering what others here have posted, I checked my saddlebag hinges and sure enuf, the screws were loose.

Ya gotta go over these bikes with a fine tooth comb otherwise you'll be the envy of every Hardly owner (more parts falling off than them) :sign20: :sign just kidding:

Glad you're okay.

If I recall, standing in front, looking at the bike, it's the first screw on the right side that has a hole and other 5 have a slot. I would guess to say you'll find the bottom of that hole broken off, the windshield got loose and the rest is history. Either way, let us know what you discover. Good luck and glad the two of you are okay.

Spotsy

Glad you're okay.

If I recall, standing in front, looking at the bike, it's the first screw on the right side that has a hole and other 5 have a slot. I would guess to say you'll find the bottom of that hole broken off, the windshield got loose and the rest is history. Either way, let us know what you discover. Good luck and glad the two of you are okay.

Spotsy

This is the way my Yamaha shield (not on the bike) looks like right now - so that wouldn't surprise me.

Guest oldroadstar

I agree with the comment about SlipStreamer. I installed their 6" shield this past weekend. Really like the shading and look but the two inside holes do not align correctly. Also, their sheild is thinner than OEM and that causes a problem with installing the chrome trim piece. I did get a response back from them saying they have passed my concern onto their engineer. Waiting to see if I get further responses.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I went back in my car and got the windshield. Unfortunately, the two lower corners are gone - I guess from impact with the road. All 5 windshield slots are still there and appear normal. The hole for the right side screw is missing (along with a baseball size piece of plexiglass). The hole must have failed as several have suggested.

As a new rider (to the Venture), I really appreciate the knowledge shared on this website. One of the members has offered me his old OEM w/s gratus. Can you belive that!! Good people here.

My screen was about to let go after 500 ks in the rain. The end screws were all that were holding it, and those tabs were broken. There was a gap under the middle of 1/2 an inch. After thinking about it for days, decided to cut the bottom of the screen off 3/4 inch or so, and drill holes, therefore getting rid of those useless slots. Also added 2 more screws, 1 each side of the middle. I would even go as far as to say I'd do this to a new screen to prevent this happening.

my 2 c.

T

Wind in Central FL has been strong lately!!!!

Another brand of windshield is Cee Baileys. I am running the one they show on this page but others are available in different colors and sizes. Easier to care for than the stock. Stock will scratch if you use the wrong cleaners.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/royalstarventurews.html

Yesterday, I picked up a "used" OEM windshield from a VentureRider member (Thanks again!!). I showed him my old windshield and he immediately noticed that one of the slots had been enlarged using a saw - probably to make it easier to install the windshield. More importantly, he noticed the one "screw hole" - instead of a slot - had been altered to make it a slot. Again, we assume, to make it easier to install. The result was that all 6 screws were in slots so that if they were not tightened or became loose from vibration, there was nothing holding the windshield in place.

Recommend to everyone that before you ride, give the windshield a slight pull to see if it is loose. May save your day.