IGNORED

Speed wobble?

Guest seuadr

Guest seuadr

New tires, balanced: front 36psi rear 42 psi wheel bearings felt solid when i tested them (front wheel on the ground and slid the wheel side to side) air set to 10 in the front, 15 in the rear.. i'm getting a slow wobble at speed (75mph) and also when going into turns at lower speed (60-65mph) i'm sure i should check the tripple tree bolts and the steering head bearing, but what else would you guys suggest to check?

I was reading about something along the same lines yesterday and everyone recommended that you check tire wear.

According to some of the posters yesterday, tire wear (especially B/stones) will cause what you're describing.

Becareful, those wobbles can scare the bejeebers out of you.

I just got rid of that wobble myself changed wheel bearings and steering head bearings and wobble is gone. wheel bearings had some play in them and steering head bearings had play also. now i have had bike up to 120 and no more wobble. my bike has 43000 miles on it so change both sets of bearings and you should be good.

Guest seuadr
I was reading about something along the same lines yesterday and everyone recommended that you check tire wear.

According to some of the posters yesterday, tire wear (especially B/stones) will cause what you're describing.

Becareful, those wobbles can scare the bejeebers out of you.

brand new tires .. but i have had a problem in the past because of weird wear on tires, thanks for suggesting it!

Guest seuadr
I just got rid of that wobble myself changed wheel bearings and steering head bearings and wobble is gone. wheel bearings had some play in them and steering head bearings had play also. now i have had bike up to 120 and no more wobble. my bike has 43000 miles on it so change both sets of bearings and you should be good.

ya, i think this is what i'm gonna do. if i had not been paying close attention, that wobble very well could have put me down on the pavement, with the wind today.

I didnt have that wobble until I just changed a defective Kenda Kruz rear tire. Doesnt seem like any play. If it were bearings I would think it would have happened before changing the tire. Now about 75 I get the wobble.

Guest seuadr
How are the fork springs ?? If over 50K and never been replaced, good time to install a set of progressive springs.

Drain and replace fork fluid, might help also.

would the fork springs really cause a side to side wobble?

Guest seuadr
Wait a minute. Only 15 lbs in the rear shock of a gen 1? Thats way too low. Put at least 50 in it, then see how it is.

whatever the preset numbers are .. i've never ajusted it. i had thought it was 15, but i just went and checked. it's 14 front 43 rear.

Guest seuadr

well, i'm not sure what to think.. i checked the steering head for play and there is none, rotated it back and forth, no clicks or flat spots. no up and down or side to side play and the wheel bearings don't have any play to them either. i've got the wheel bearings so i'm just gonna go ahead and replace them. I'm gonna try re-packing the steering head as well.:think:

i wonder if the wheel is out of round? i don't have a caliper to check runout.

Replacing Wheel Bearings and check/repack Steering Bearings is a very good Idea seeing the Age of your Bike and it's probably unknown Conditions.

While you have the Wheel out, get the Tire loose of the Rim and reseat it. Sometimes the Tire does seat right over the Humps on the whole Circumference and this could cause a wobble also. Sometimes you won't find anything wrong at all. I had all this happen with one front Tire on my '99 Max. After going through a Lot of checking, I just tore that Rubber off and mounted another one. Problem gone ...

Guest seuadr
Replacing Wheel Bearings and check/repack Steering Bearings is a very good Idea seeing the Age of your Bike and it's probably unknown Conditions.

While you have the Wheel out, get the Tire loose of the Rim and reseat it. Sometimes the Tire does seat right over the Humps on the whole Circumference and this could cause a wobble also. Sometimes you won't find anything wrong at all. I had all this happen with one front Tire on my '99 Max. After going through a Lot of checking, I just tore that Rubber off and mounted another one. Problem gone ...

man i hope the tire isn't the problem.. i can't afford another tire for a while and would have to park the bike.

You would have a pretty fast ROI on a new Tire, because you won't ride the Bike a Lot as it is. Not to mention the Cost of new Underwear every now and then ...

But since i can't imagine you fabricated the Tire yourself, what about a nice Talk with the Supplier ? Just inform them about what's going on, what you going to do, and what you expect them to do if your Actions doesn't work out ?

would the fork springs really cause a side to side wobble?

That makes me wonder if we understand what the motorcycle is doing. When I hear wobble I automatically assume "head wobble" where the bars oscillate wildly left and right (tank slapper). "side to side" wobble sounds like something different.

As far as wheel run out you can check it without any special tools. Just lift the front end up and place something next to the wheel to serve as a pointer. Rotate the wheel and watch the gap. Of course you need to turn the bars fully right or left to keep the steering from swinging.

I believe the spec for both lateral and radial run out is 2mm.

Guest seuadr
That makes me wonder if we understand what the motorcycle is doing. When I hear wobble I automatically assume "head wobble" where the bars oscillate wildly left and right (tank slapper). "side to side" wobble sounds like something different.

As far as wheel run out you can check it without any special tools. Just lift the front end up and place something next to the wheel to serve as a pointer. Rotate the wheel and watch the gap. Of course you need to turn the bars fully right or left to keep the steering from swinging.

I believe the spec for both lateral and radial run out is 2mm.

well, ya, like a tank slapper, but slower, except in a reasonable turn at speed, then it's much like the tank slapper i experenced on a different bike. sorry, i'm not that good at explaining these kinds of things.

Guest seuadr

well, got new bearings installed, greased everything up and tested the steering head bearings, no flat spots or clicks, moves smooth and easily the whole range, and no play at the bottom of the forks with someone holding the bars. i'm gonna re-pack them anyhow, but i gotta buy a socket to get the retaining nuts off the handlebars, i don't have one that big.