IGNORED

Almost finished with her....

1BigDog

After saying last year that im done with mods to the bike, some fools here come up with more parts to sell us and we, like sheep, shell out bucks for them. A simple tail light mod, like adding 2-30 red led strips to the rear as a run/brake light combo turned onto Sky Doc's R1 caliper conversion, which turned into replacing all brake/clutch lines with SS lines which turned into rebuilding the rear caliper and new HH pads, and only the best for me, buying that new 5.1 brake fluid which turned into replacing the rear valve cover gasket which turned into replacing the spark plugs which turned into flushing the cooling system which turned into adding Carbon Ones crash bar bracket, which is turning into 2 more smaller red led lights on the back to replace a burned out one, which will lead to an oil change and rear fluid change. Add a wash and wax and im done for good.......

Yea Right!! :smile5:

Edited by Ruffy

After saying last year that im done with mods to the bike, some fools here come up with more parts to sell us and we, like sheep, shell out bucks for them. A simple tail light mod, like adding 2-30 red led strips to the rear as a run/brake light combo turned onto Sky Doc's R1 caliper conversion, which turned into replacing all brake/clutch lines with SS lines which turned into rebuilding the rear caliper and new HH pads, and only the best for me, buying that new 5.1 brake fluid which turned into replacing the rear head gasket which turned into replacing the spark plugs which turned into flushing the cooling system which turned into adding Carbon Ones crash bar bracket, which is turning into 2 more smaller red led lights on the back to replace a burned out one, which will lead to an oil change and rear fluid change. Add a wash and wax and im done for good.......

Ain't it fun :whistling::whistling:

well I say there is some satisfaction that comes from working on your bike, I just changed the oil and filter on mine and it felt pretty good now I'm thinking of the rear diff and the coolant. So I can see how one thing leads to another. I have had some bikes that were more fun to work on than to ride for various reasons but I don't think the Royal Star falls into that category. Those extra lights sound pretty cool I might have to look into those! :Laugh:

After saying last year that im done with mods to the bike, some fools here come up with more parts to sell us and we, like sheep, shell out bucks for them. A simple tail light mod, like adding 2-30 red led strips to the rear as a run/brake light combo turned onto Sky Doc's R1 caliper conversion, which turned into replacing all brake/clutch lines with SS lines which turned into rebuilding the rear caliper and new HH pads, and only the best for me, buying that new 5.1 brake fluid which turned into replacing the rear head gasket which turned into replacing the spark plugs which turned into flushing the cooling system which turned into adding Carbon Ones crash bar bracket, which is turning into 2 more smaller red led lights on the back to replace a burned out one, which will lead to an oil change and rear fluid change. Add a wash and wax and im done for good.......

THAT'S WHAT THEY ALL SAY:stickpoke::witch_brew:

So I finally get the bike off the lift and on the road yesterday. Rode it to work to shake it down. The crash bar brackets make a world of difference. Great idea Larry.

The R1 caliper conversion, im still evaluating that one. Its hard to tell how much of an improvement it has given me until the new pads are seated in properly. Braking does feel different than stock and the bike did stop pretty good though. More on this as the pads wear in. I did use the newer Motul 5.1 brake fluid, not to be confused with DOT 5 fluid. Its compatable with 3 and 4 but it has a higher boiling point. Tail lights really light up the night now.

Got home and parked in the garage this AM. Wife came home an hour later and asked why I left my headlight on. Went into the garage and the driving lights were on. Switch no longer worked the lights. Of course this happens right after I put the fairing back on.........New relay and switch is going on in a few minutes. Good thing im pretty good at removing the fairing. Whole process only takes maybe 10 minutes. Maybe someone here will design a hidden hinge for the fairing so we dont have to bolt it together. Hmmmm, maybe velcro fasteners???? (J/K):smile5::smile5::smile5:

Pics will follow later....

OK, so here goes...driving light switch was cracked so I replaced it and the relay too, just in case.

R1 brake caliper conversion and SS lines from Sky Doc: Took about a 100 mile ride today. Pads are worn in now and while I had expected heart stopping braking power off the front brakes now, that wasnt the case. What I did find was a better stopping brake overall. Much smoother than before and easier to modulate. The SS lines front and rear were a big improvement as well as the SS clutch line. Also the "cool" factor of those R1 calipers on the bike are worth it. Makes the front end look less cluttered.

LED LIGHTS: Those additional 62 LED lights added to the rear as run/brake lights really light up the rear now. Another rider commented that she followed me into a gas station to tell me how bright the back of the bike is now and how well I am seen. She couldnt believe the bike was 11 years old. She thought it was new. Made me feel good. She had a 1300 VTX.

Carbon one crash bar brace: Very solid. Held the crash bar in place, no more flexing when feet are on pegs. Another worthwhile improvement.

I know, I know, pics will follow. Im just a very lazy slacker.....:smile5:

Edited by Ruffy

• 10 months later...
THAT'S WHAT THEY ALL SAY:stickpoke::witch_brew:

Well. here we go again....... Got a chrome triple tree and ordered chrome risers from Pinwall.They had a complete set for only 19 bucks. Got the Progressive springs on the workbench and tomorrow the internal fork parts should arrive. G2 bars and longer Barnett braided SS throttle cables coming as well. Once its all apart ill polish the tube covers and lower forks. Also will polish the exposed areas of the triple tree. I may fabricate a bracket or two for the GPS and XM radio toys. Sorry Ponch...I wanted the gauges but having a glove box instead would suit my needs more. So, am I finally finished???????

DAMIFINO....:smile5:

(Quote) Almost finished with her....

NOT YET RUFFY.............

http://uhr.rutgers.edu/documents/PERSBenForm.pdf

:whistling:

Not so fast there Eckster....First I need to see if you would like anything else added to the bike before I can designate you as a beneficiary. Now, if you truly want to see it gleam you just might want to invest (for your future investment of course!) in a real nice ghost flame paint job for me (you). Maybe even having the wheels chromed as well. Just send funds to my PayPal account so I can begin the process of eventually turning the bike over to you upon my demise. You do also get the cats and dogs as well. I can throw in the wife as well upon receipt of 7k for her new dental implants. Surely you wouldnt settle for a woman with only 1 tooth! :smile5::smile5::smile5:

Not so fast there Eckster....First I need to see if you would like anything else added to the bike before I can designate you as a beneficiary. Now, if you truly want to see it gleam you just might want to invest (for your future investment of course!) in a real nice ghost flame paint job for me (you). Maybe even having the wheels chromed as well. Just send funds to my PayPal account so I can begin the process of eventually turning the bike over to you upon my demise. You do also get the cats and dogs as well. I can throw in the wife as well upon receipt of 7k for her new dental implants. Surely you wouldnt settle for a woman with only 1 tooth! :smile5::smile5::smile5:

all these mods and no pictures, whats wrong with this post?

Well. here we go again....... Got a chrome triple tree and ordered chrome risers from Pinwall.They had a complete set for only 19 bucks. Got the Progressive springs on the workbench and tomorrow the internal fork parts should arrive. G2 bars and longer Barnett braided SS throttle cables coming as well. Once its all apart ill polish the tube covers and lower forks. Also will polish the exposed areas of the triple tree. I may fabricate a bracket or two for the GPS and XM radio toys. Sorry Ponch...I wanted the gauges but having a glove box instead would suit my needs more. So, am I finally finished???????

DAMIFINO....:smile5:

Who needs gauges with all that bling to look at? Good on ya Ruf! Can't wait to see the finished bike.