IGNORED

Computer screwed up.....Norton

Venturous Randy

I have an old HP Pavaillion computer that the only thing I have done to it is add a memory card. Well, my internet provider Comcast has a free download of Norton antivirus. I decided last night that I would try it and now my computer is really screwed up. It takes about 5 minutes just to download the Comcast homepage. Then, to go on any site, like VR, takes several more minutes. I have rebooted it several times and it does not matter. I am at work now and when I get home I am going to see what I can do with it and am open for any suggestions. I am not very computer literate, so any instructions need to be pretty basic.

I need to upgrade the whole computer, but that is not on my budget priority list right now.

Thanks for any help.

RandyA

Norton is a resource hog, so an old computer really suffers trying to run it. It doesn't do very well at stopping viruses either. Uninstall it, then search for the "norton removal tool". Norton embeds itself so deep in your computer, that even their uninstall program can't get rid of it completely, so Norton makes a special separate tool to clean it out.

Guest human4m

Feel free to ship it to me, tell me what you want saved, I'll make it run like new, and upgrade it while I've got it.

I'm the IT guy for Moen, Inc. and have LOTS of misc parts... RAM, HDD's, etc...

Edited by human4m

I have an old HP Pavaillion computer that the only thing I have done to it is add a memory card. Well, my internet provider Comcast has a free download of Norton antivirus. I decided last night that I would try it and now my computer is really screwed up. It takes about 5 minutes just to download the Comcast homepage. Then, to go on any site, like VR, takes several more minutes. I have rebooted it several times and it does not matter. I am at work now and when I get home I am going to see what I can do with it and am open for any suggestions. I am not very computer literate, so any instructions need to be pretty basic.

I need to upgrade the whole computer, but that is not on my budget priority list right now.

Thanks for any help.

RandyA

Like Monty said... uninstall it! NAV has always caused trouble on a windows machine for me. While at work go the norton web page and print the uninstall directions, go home and get rid of it. I us AVG antivirus on all my machines, MAC and Windows. Its free and has never caused slow downs or problems. :happy34:

Guest human4m
Hmm, wouldn't happen to have a working screen for a Dell Inspiron 8600 would you?

We use IBM/Lenovo here at Moen... (which I'm not too thrilled about) so we don't have any proprietary parts like screens and whatnot... but you can get a replacement LCD for

I use AVG antivirus on all my machines, MAC and Windows. Its free and has never caused slow downs or problems. :happy34:

:sign yeah that: This is what I use on my computers also, can't stand Norton or Macafee they always have screwed something up on my computers

Guest human4m

:sign yeah that: This is what I use on my computers also, can't stand Norton or Macafee they always have screwed something up on my computers

AVG is definitely good stuff, but I will admit it has failed me a few times and let a few bugs in, so I switched to Avira until I went to Windows 7. Now it's back to AVG & Malwarebyte's that keep my PC clean.

I don't like Norton or Macafee. Been using Trend PC-cillan for over 15 years and it's never let me down. It's gotten to be a memory hog lately so if you don't have a newer machine with at least 2-3megs on the board... the more the merrier...., forget it...

Guest human4m
I don't like Norton or Macafee. Been using Trend PC-cillan for over 15 years and it's never let me down. It's gotten to be a memory hog lately so if you don't have a newer machine with at least 2-3megs on the board... the more the merrier...., forget it...

Gigs...

Norton is a resource hog, so an old computer really suffers trying to run it. It doesn't do very well at stopping viruses either. Uninstall it, then search for the "norton removal tool". Norton embeds itself so deep in your computer, that even their uninstall program can't get rid of it completely, so Norton makes a special separate tool to clean it out.

My son got free NAV on his laptop, and when the subscription expired tried to remove it. Now he has lost nearly all internet access. The only thing that can reach the internet is Internet Exploder. Not Firefox, not Opera, not anti-malware tools.

I haven't been able to find the norton removal tool. If someone has a download link, I'd appreciate it.

For now, he is dual-booting into Linux just so he can do his college schoolwork.

Dave

While on this subjet what's the opinion of using the AVG upgrade of anti-virus program? http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-internet-security Is it worth the extra costs or is it better to run another program such as Malware, etc along with it?

I used to have the Norton program but switched to AVG Free which I downloaded on the new desk top running Windows 7.

Larry

I removed the Deluxe Shield was not happy with this program at all and installed the AVG free today and already seeing my system running much faster. going to my Moms tomorrow and will remove her Norton program as well it really a pain in the rear. Will install the AVG as well...... Thanks Guys for the info......:happy34:

Every time there is a discussion about anti-virus programs, Norton gets blasted. I've never understood. I've been using Norton anti-virus for more than 20 years and have never had a problem with it. It's never messed up my computers and has never failed to protect me. I'm always surprised to hear of all the issues that people have with it.

Not knocking any of the others and in fact, I've installed AVG on my son and my wife's computers just because it is free and it seems to work very well.

Guest human4m
Every time there is a discussion about anti-virus programs, Norton gets blasted. I've never understood. I've been using Norton anti-virus for more than 20 years and have never had a problem with it. It's never messed up my computers and has never failed to protect me. I'm always surprised to hear of all the issues that people have with it.

Not knocking any of the others and in fact, I've installed AVG on my son and my wife's computers just because it is free and it seems to work very well.

The Norton "SystemWorks, Internet Security, and 360" products are all resource hogs. They're like parasited. They get their grubby little claws throughout your system, and when it comes time to remove it, you need 'a special tool.' The only version of Norton I've ever "approved" was NAV2009 and up. I've been in I.T. for over 10 years, and have to keep up with the changes.

Both Norton and McAfee AV programs are hacker targets ... they've figgured out ways to disable them and then their virus apps can do their thing. The problem then becomes a major PITA to rectify. I've had more than one experience dealing with this on past client computer systems. Because of that, I will no longer use either program. Strangely enuf tho, we run Norton (Symantec Corporate Edition) AV on the environment here at work and it continues to do it's job without any problem. It is here only because we have a long-term corporate subscription which was in place before I took over the role of Network Admin. Having said that, we do have a very good firewall that includes Anti-spyware | Malware | Gateway AV | and Content Filtering so a lot of stuff doesn't even make it to the inside for Norton to deal with it. Even with all of that tho, we've had 3 viruses get through by users email but Norton did catch one of them and the other two didn't cause a lot of problem and was relatively easy to clean.

Once our subscription runs out, I will be removing Norton and installing something different ... haven't totally decided which yet... possibly Kasperski.

Guest human4m
Both Norton and McAfee AV programs are hacker targets ... they've figgured out ways to disable them and then their virus apps can do their thing. The problem then becomes a major PITA to rectify. I've had more than one experience dealing with this on past client computer systems. Because of that, I will no longer use either program. Strangely enuf tho, we run Norton (Symantec Corporate Edition) AV on the environment here at work and it continues to do it's job without any problem. It is here only because we have a long-term corporate subscription which was in place before I took over the role of Network Admin. Having said that, we do have a very good firewall that includes Anti-spyware | Malware | Gateway AV | and Content Filtering so a lot of stuff doesn't even make it to the inside for Norton to deal with it. Even with all of that tho, we've had 3 viruses get through by users email but Norton did catch one of them and the other two didn't cause a lot of problem and was relatively easy to clean.

Once our subscription runs out, I will be removing Norton and installing something different ... haven't totally decided which yet... possibly Kasperski.

Here at Moen, we did the same thing... We had McAfee, then Symantec, and now we're on Microsoft Forefront.

Users STILL find ways to get infected via "E-card" emails, "Your shipment was delayed" emails, and all the usual suspects. Of course, since they don't know any better, they start clicking on the "Your computer is infected! Click OK to clean now with Antivirus 2009!" :buttkick: