IGNORED

looks like a blown freeze plug - pics too

Man, O man. i am glad to see i am not the only one with a freeze plug problem in the South. it is nice to mark that one off the list. i do have one ordered and the parts lady "promised" it would be in on Friday. either way, that one is covered.

I really hate it when things come down to the wire like this. and to boot Debbie is flying out Thursday morn at 6 AM which means up at 3:30!! she will be helping me tonight to trailer up the bike instead of tomorrow.

thanks, guys.

i was told not to bring tools, but i do have a special hammer ???

We should have the tools handled....be carefull and I look forward to meeting you on Sat!!

** Note to Squidly** I DO NOT HAVE A CARB SYNC. TOOL....

Man, O man. i am glad to see i am not the only one with a freeze plug problem in the South. it is nice to mark that one off the list. i do have one ordered and the parts lady "promised" it would be in on Friday. either way, that one is covered.

I really hate it when things come down to the wire like this. and to boot Debbie is flying out Thursday morn at 6 AM which means up at 3:30!! she will be helping me tonight to trailer up the bike instead of tomorrow.

thanks, guys.

i was told not to bring tools, but i do have a special hammer ???

dale don't let wes scare you about the "hammer". i have a 10# sleage with a 1 foot handle, that i can lay my hands on. but i also have a 20# slege with a 36" handle all ready to go, for the new meat that shows up at mx day. looking forward to finaly meet you.

reguards

don c. :big-grin-emoticon:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i have an 8 # on a 3 foot handle. i am surprised how much i use it.

that is my special hammer.

Deb knows to move when i walk up with it and that special "i am gonna fix this" look in my eye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deb knows to move when i walk up with it and that special "i am gonna fix this" look in my eye.

Marca knows what happens when I fire up old Brutus,,,,, 16" Holiday\Pioneer chain saw. She runs and hides everything that is precious to her, and then runs for cover.

What a great ride home today!! Man I love that liquid sunshine!!!

I only got a few raindrops, not even enough to get wet really

:rasberry:

** Note to Squidly** I DO NOT HAVE A CARB SYNC. TOOL....

Yeah, I got that one covered too, just make sure you have some beast OK!

• 3 years later...

Noticed a puddle under the baby, after some tracing and part removal it seems to be coming from the dam frost plug.

I presume I screw a screw into the threaded opening, yank the old one out and hammer the new one in place???? Sound about right??

Called to order the parts, I overhead the parts guy asking someone? (gawd I hope it wasnt their mechanic) about it and he didnt know how to remove or install at all... well here, let me bring my bike in for y'all to practise on! AS IF!

Old spark plug or I found a screw that matched the threads to pull it out. To put new one in, just use the plug or screw and push the new one back in.

No hammers needed !

With the number of Ventures individual dealers sell their mechanics don't get a lot of experience with them. Look how many get assembled incorrectly. Try explaining the "fake fins" !

First let me point out that this thread is from three years ago, so no point in commenting on the OP.

Second, let me clarify that these are NOT freeze plugs. A freeze plug is designed to be pushed out by expanding ice before the block breaks. The cylinder jacket drain plugs on this engine are physically held in place by the fake fins, so they can never be pushed out.

And they are cheap to buy and easy to replace.

Goose

First let me point out that this thread is from three years ago, so no point in commenting on the OP....

Goose

I was replying to dunvilsteev.

Sometimes when you are searching for a topic it is good to reopen an old thread. Lot of things discussed before can save time.

While we are discussing parts and such. I used www.Partzilla.com to get the parts to replace my head gasket. It took a little time for them to ship it out but I ordered twenty things. I think one of the parts was not in stock. But once they shipped it arrived in three days. The prices were good too.

kickshot

I thought it was better attach to an OP vs starting a new one and explaining what I was talking about...

This was where I noticed leakage, the bike was idling, covers still ON. I presumed these where frost plugs and that was the cause of my problem. Do you think that this could NOT of ran my reservoir dry and left a puddle under the bike during the winter???

There was no leakage around the water pump or rad.

I had one leaking a few months back...I just glued a dime on the cover to "tighten" up the plug. Ordered 4 new plugs from partzilla. Just finished flushing the cooling system yesterday & installed the new plugs.

Today I was riding it like I stole it. I am ready for riding season. :cool10:

Be Safe, Mel