IGNORED

07 RSV rpms

earwig

thanks, I have been riding a BMW k1200lt and it had a tach, was much easier to tell what the engine was doing. Am enjoying the new bike but still trying to figure out my gear selection at highway speeds.

May just be me but it sounds out something aint right? The 03 Venture I had and now my 2006 RSTD run smooth at 65 but I shift down to 4th to pass. Runs really smooth even in town at 40-45 in 5th gear.

Agreed. Mine runs fine at 55 in top gear most of the time(except when that coil on #3 died 2 days ago). but if I'm climbing a good hill, or need to pass, then drop a gear and go.

P.S. I rode HD's for 18 years b4 this, and after 64K miles on this bike, I still occasionally find myself looking for another gear on the freeway just because the r's seem too high.

Later, Scooter Bob

Edited by Scooter Bob

appreciate the info, I'm sure I'll be talking with you all again. Love the look of the RSV thats why I bought it, now just need to learn more about the bike. So, from what you all are saying I should be in 4th until 65 or higher.

appreciate the info, I'm sure I'll be talking with you all again. Love the look of the RSV thats why I bought it, now just need to learn more about the bike. So, from what you all are saying I should be in 4th until 65 or higher.

It wont hurt the bike running it up to 65 in 4th or even higher, matter of fact My old 83 Venture could run up to 75 in second gear these motors are high RPM's monsters my 83 model had no rev.limt.

But by understanding your post you said it lugs in 5th gear doing 65? to me thats not right, It should be smooth as silk at 45-65 untill you want to pass then go down a gear. Without seeing the bike or hearing it run its hard to say? but for me its does not sound right.

Guess I had better slip on the leathers in the morning and take a good long ride! Will just have to get use to the new gearing and sound, probably not turning as many rpms as I was thinking just a different( better) sound. Thanks for the info guys.

Didn't see where anyone mentioned carb sync. If this is off it will vibrate, 'cause it may be trying to run on one cylinder harder than the others.

Just some info about speeds and gears. 1st will hit the rev limiter about 45, 2nd around 66 3rd about 96. Cannot help you on 4th and 5th, but I've been told :innocent: that 120 in 4th is nowhere near the rev limit. :whistling:

Mine will run very smoothly at 45 in 5th, on level ground, and will accelerate if you don't give it too much throttle, otherwise it WILL protest. From 45 if you really need to get after it, kick it down to 3rd, and hang on!

now I'm starting to wonder. Sure seems to have a lot of vibration in 5th when going under 65.

From reading the responses, I think folks are interpretting what you are saying two different ways. When you say it lugs, are you trying to accelerate at 60 in 5th? As others have stated, it should cruise along smoothly at 55-60 in 5th, but you need to downshift to accelerate or climb a hill. When I first bought my RSV, I would try to get it into the higher gears fairly quickly, but now I realize as others stated that this bike likes to rev. I don't normally put it in 5th until I'm cruising at around 70 on the freeway.

This has been said already, but I'll try to pull it all together.

This bike will run very smoothly in 5th all the way down to 45, PROVIDED:

1. The carbs are in sync
  2. You do not try to accelerate faster than a '65 Datsun with 300K on the clock

For anything other than very mild acceleration, you must have this engine over 3,000 RPM, which happens to be about an indicated 70 in 5th gear.

This engine doesn't have much low-end grunt, but it has PLENTY of power if you keep the revs up. If you ride it like a V twin, it is a dog. To learn what it can do and get an idea how it should be ridden when you want that performance, you need to hit the rev limiter a couple of times - that kicks in at 6,500 RPM. On your next on-ramp, nail it in second and hold that throttle wide open 'till you feel the engine falter (it won't take long), then do that again in third. But unless unless you know the cops are far away you'll have to back down long before the rev limiter stops you, since it doesn't hit in third gear until 96 MPH.

Now that you know how sweet that mill is, just enjoy the ride!

Goose

You should not be vibrating under 65 in 5th.

As stated in the other posts, accel will be impacted at lower rpms, but it should run smooth.

I spend a lot of time running backroads at 50mph in 5th as the copilot doesn't like the high rpm feel/sound. Smooth running at 50.

Just as a reference, not a suggested regular practice, I can shift into 5th as low as 40mph and still run smooth. At that point however, as others have stated, there is no accel. Kinda like my old 6 cyl, 3 on the tree pickup from a "while" back...

Good Luck. Bob

Well its morning and I'm headed out for another test ride, but from what I heard it should be smooth running just not a rocket in 5th. I really feel that its lugging and also a lot of vibration until I hit about 65 then it smooths out. If doesn't feel better after todays ride I'll take it into the shop for a tune up

If you're runnin' on all 4 cylinders, (all 4 pipes too hot to touch) it should feel smooth at 50-55 on level road at steady speed.

When my carbs are slightly out of sync, I'll notice some vibration in the left floorboard.

Is this bike new?

The factory sync was not good, dealer did it at the 600 checkup with a big improvement.

After that, it's never been out very far and I sync about every 10,000 or so.

Don't let the stealer kid you either. The carb sync is only a 15 minute job.

Later, Scooter Bob

no, it had 6,800 miles on it. doesn't run smooth on flat ground (you can feel it and see the mirrors shake) in 5th like I stated before until I get over 65. I'll check the temp of the pipes today thanks for that tip

Agreed. Mine runs fine at 55 in top gear most of the time(except when that coil on #3 died 2 days ago). but if I'm climbing a good hill, or need to pass, then drop a gear and go.

P.S. I rode HD's for 18 years b4 this, and after 64K miles on this bike, I still occasionally find myself looking for another gear on the freeway just because the r's seem too high.

Later, Scooter Bob

You 4-cylinder is firing twice as many times at the same rpm as your v-twin. I had the same feeling when I got my goldwing 6-cyl after riding my venture. I kept wanting to shift. Now I am used to both, so it doesn't bother me any more.

You 4-cylinder is firing twice as many times at the same rpm as your v-twin. I had the same feeling when I got my goldwing 6-cyl after riding my venture. I kept wanting to shift. Now I am used to both, so it doesn't bother me any more.

:scratchchin: If I would just remember to look for that little green light BEFORE:bang head: I pull in the cluth and embarrass myself in front of the navigator.:whistling:

Later, Scooter Bob

Didn't see where anyone mentioned carb sync. If this is off it will vibrate, 'cause it may be trying to run on one cylinder harder than the others.

Just some info about speeds and gears. 1st will hit the rev limiter about 45, 2nd around 66 3rd about 96. Cannot help you on 4th and 5th, but I've been told :innocent: that 120 in 4th is nowhere near the rev limit. :whistling:

Mine will run very smoothly at 45 in 5th, on level ground, and will accelerate if you don't give it too much throttle, otherwise it WILL protest. From 45 if you really need to get after it, kick it down to 3rd, and hang on!

BINGO BINGO BINGO You will need a Carb Sync and it WILL be smooooooth in 5th gear at 45 to 60 = Excellant MPG!!! :happy34:

Edited by frogmaster
correction