IGNORED

Help me out Guys n Gals

Pegstr

Just found a 1986 Venture Royale with 34k miles on it. Y'all know i had the 87 Venture standard up til a couple of years ago. What problems do i need to look for on the 86? Anything I need to know about the 86s that are different than the 87. I know this one is a Royale, which my other bike was not. I hope the guy calls me back pretty quick. I just emailed him because i just found the bike. It is here locally so i can take a peak tomorrow, I hope. What kind of money would this bike be worth if it is in good shape with 34k miles? Thanks for your help in advance. Y'all have always gave me good info. BTW, here is a pic of the bike. I hope the pic works.:dancefool:I'm getting a little excited!!!! I hope I haven't missed it.

Pretty much the same bike. Check the trunk mounts for issues. Levelling system only works with the key in the ACC location. Stand it up on the center stand to work this, its easier on the system. CB working?

It looks like he has replaced the side covers with a after market system that will prevent some heat from getting to your legs. Cruise works?

Looks to have some additions on the back that would cost a fortune now a days.

Nice looking from way over here!

Well about the only thing I can tell you is it is one year older than your 87. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I'm a second gen guy so hopefully so of the first gen guys will respond. Hopefully it will be in great shape and you'll be riding it tomorrow.:banana::banana::banana:

Just got off the phone with the guy. Found out a little more about the bike, but looks like i am going to get 2nd shot at the bike. Someone else called him first and he wants to be fair. He said the bike has been in the shop for almost a year. He has 3 other bikes so he wasn't in a hurry to get it back. They supposedly put NEW carbs on the bike at the yamaha place. He got the bike back a few weeks ago and rode it twice and the master cylinder locked up so he carried it back to the shop and just got it back. He is going to ride it to work tomorrow. He said the left side fairing was cracked, but other than that, the bike was in good shape. He wants to sell the bike for what the carb replacement and master cylinder work cost him, $1900. So it is wait and see i guess. Kind of bothers me about being in the shop almost a year, but at least he told me.

Pegster,

So good to see a posting from you again.

Man its been a while. Seems like its been two years already..?

I don't remember hearing from you since you got hitched, and I cant blame you either by looking at that wedding photo on your profile page..

I cant help you with your question being its on a 1st gen, but just wanted to say welcome back home and its good to hear from you again.:thumbsup2:

They are a great bike. The only shortcoming I have found is that the stock seat tends to push the passenger forward a bit, but some sculpting can solve that. Same mod on driver's seat makes for seriously comfortable seating. Otherwise, just keep the shiny side up and smile a whole lot!!

Poledar:big-grin-emoticon:

... I am loving it. Most serious problem has been the TCI (twice over last two years) that picks up water in a downpoor or from water in the street troughs. Squidly suggested I get it up on the air breather where it will stay dry; he has pixs he can show you. The cruise slips out going up slight hills even, and the auto air system does not work; alternative of front springs and manual air in the main rear sock solves the problem. I have 72,000 on her from Brad's 48,000 summer of 06; this is my SECOND 86 VR, and I have had great service from both of them. Hope you can get it!

JackZ

Eck,

I know you're getting old, but I have pm'ed you in the last 6-8 months seeing how you are doing, ..........unless i'm getting old and it has been longer than i think LOL!! Lonna, my li'l bro hasn't got him a bike. He has took on a business adventure that is keeping him pretty busy, but that is good for him, since he likes to be his own boss (he owns the company). I have been wanting another bike, but thinking smaller than the Venture. This one happened to pop up last night and when i saw the price, it got my attention, especially since i can tear this bike apart and put it back together, if needed, with the help of the ventureriders. I am still amazed at all the help I was given on my last bike and what amazed me more was I did most of it myself, again, thanks to the ventureriders. Eck, I've been lurking in the background, just haven't been posting much. Thanks for all of the info, guys and gals. As always, it is appreciated. BTW, how hard is it to fix a busted fairing on these machines./?

Well, I didn't hear back from the guy, so i guess the first guy that called him got it. He said the Yamaha store had put a brand new carb on this bike. I was curious about that, since the carbs are in a 4 pack, but it doesn't look like it is going to matter. Everything happens for the best. Hey Skid, good to see ya' on here. I think about you everytime I see a state trooper here. Be safe and thanks for your service to the public.:happy34:

Well folks, I'm still bikeless. Just looked at the bike and it would probably make a pretty good fixer upper, but I just don't want to go there again. Looking for something a little nicer. I should've known at the price he was asking. He had a lot of work done to the bike and been out about $2500 on it, for cleaning carbs, valve cover gaskets, and master cylinders. The bike seemed to idle good and didn't get hot, but cosmetically, it needed quite a bit of TLC and the class system wouldn't light up or work. No CB and you could tell it had been in the weather some. I guess i'm just too picky after the bike I used to have. I'm still thinking of maybe getting a cruiser instead of a tourer. I'm more into short distance than long. Working 6 days a week 10-11 hours a day don't leave much time for much of anything. I'm not complaining because I do have a job.