IGNORED

Crash bar braces/supports

Carbon_One

Finally got around to ordering the clamps and they were here when I got home yesterday. Did this install first thing this morning. Very easy to do. As Bamico said, I did have to disconnect the shifter and the shifter bracket but that is very simple to do.

As usual, Larry has built a great product that should be installed on every RSV out there. Fantastic product.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had to move the shifter bracket. The brake side was a bit tight but I tapped the bolt through with a punch. Also ordered my clamps from Dennis Kirk, but I ordered the 3 piece chromed set. A little less costly then the quick clamp.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=406929&store=&catId=&productId=p406928&leafCatId=&mmyId

:smile5:

Guest divey

Arrived in mail yesterday, installed today with pretty much the same results as others who have posted. Right side was easy, left side I didn't have to remove the shifter arm but did move the shifter bracket enough to get the bolt in. Instructions and pics that have been posted make it pretty simple. Thanks again Larry for your work on this.

Doug

Larry:

I have not completed the install yet. I have done the right hand side with limited problems. Somehow I managed to break one of the bolts and had to go out to find a replacement. I have not done the left side yet, as it looks like I will have to remove the shifting assembly (as others have mentioned) and some of the bolts that I have that holds that linkage in place were rounded out by the previous owner... SO, I'm waiting on fresh bolts so I can remove and replace those and do the install in one sitting.

So far though my right crash bar is real steady and I notice a huge difference between the right and left when I throw my feet up on the highway pegs!!

Thanks for a great product! :thumbsup2:

By the way, I went with the 3 piece clamp and it was a little bit of a bugger to get on the bar and positioned right, but at half the cost of the 'easy clamps' I guess as long as it stays put, that's what matters -- since it is unlikely that I will ever have to take that clamp off.

Well so far it looks as if no one is having any major problems doing the install. i knew if there was any concerns it'd be on the left side since the shifter mechamism gets in the way.

Regardless of which clamps one uses once everything is tightened down you can litterly forget about the braces and clamps.

Larry

I think I'm still not sure what these do...

I practice a lot on the "Ride Like A Pro" video stuff and I'm not that good yet- so I put it on it's side already about 5 times... No damage except scraping the bottom of the crash bars (that I've seen)

I'm guessing these will be good for me so I don't stress the cowlings??? Aren't the front crashies mounted to the plastic??

(not on the bike right now... My laptop mount is broken... hehehe...)

rs

Rob, what these do is tie the crash bar into the floorboard mount for a solid, non-flex feel, which in turn keeps the crashbar from flexing forward and possibly cracking the lower fairing. Now, if you keep dropping your bike, Donna from RLAP is gonna come over and smack you silly....

I'm guessing these will be good for me so I don't stress the cowlings??? Aren't the front crashies mounted to the plastic??

The plastic lower right and left fairing are connected to the 1" chrome crash bars (engine guards to some) and the are mounted to the frame. In order to use the mounts you received from Carbon One you have to purchase a 1" clamp that goes around the 1" chrome crash bar and attaches to one of the mounts that Carbon One sent you. You have to drill a hole into your floor board mount bracket and secure the other end of the mount that Carbon one sent you. Do this for each side. And stop dropping that MM.

And stop dropping that MM.

:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

Yeah... I'm working on that!!!!

I'd rather drop it slow with noone around than faster in traffic, though... So I don't mind so much when I let her lay down and take a quick nap!!!

I only let her lay down when SHE wants to!!!! :rasberry:

• 4 weeks later...
To all customers: Now that a few of you have gotten them I would like for you to give me some feedback on your experinece of the install as well as pics of the rear tab where you've drilled the hole in the footrest brackets. I've changed the location and design of these braces over what I did to my bike 3 years ago and didn't want to have another hole in my footrest brackets.

Either pm me or drop me an e-mail, especialy if sending any pics. Much thanks in advance folks.

Larry

I installed mine this weekend. The right side was a piece of cake. On the left side I had to loosen the shifter and I removed the floorboard. There are two bolts that hold the shifter to the bracket, take those loose and there is enough room to install the bolt. Pretty easy.

Better late than never Larry. Had to go out and buy a '99 just to be able to order a set... :) I just Paypal'd you the funds. Many Thanks

Yep they're ever so slowly converting to the 2nd gens. Riding the bikes is much better then working and repairing those antiques all the time hey? :stirthepot:

Seriously we have some members here who have some really nice 1 st gens.

Ok Back to the subject on hand. Your order will go out 1st thing in the morning Condor.

Thanks, Larry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought a set last week, installed them today. Simple install. I marked the location on the floorboard bracket with a scribe then removed the brackets to drill them, 1.5 hours start to finish. I didn't want to risk scratching any chrome by drilling them in place.

Thanks Larry :thumbsup2:

Jay