IGNORED

1 1/2 hr to sync carbs?

AS was suggested, I tried get a feel for my vibration issue I talked to the dealer today. They said it would be a 1hr to 1 1/2 hr to do the job. I was trying to get an idea if it's under warranty...nothing said to that. I also was told that my vibration issues would not likely be solved by a carb sync.

What say yea all?

I sync'd my carbs for the first time about a month ago using a Morgan Carbtune... took me all of 15 minutes. The time it takes is one thing... the time they want to charge a guy for is another. Do it yourself or get a member close to you to do it that has the carb sync tool. It's a piece of cake job.

As for curing the vibration.... I really couldn't say.

btw, it's not a warranty thing as far as I know.

Guest scarylarry

My vibration is the bridgestone tires, could this be it?

Mine rode like a new caddy till about 2k miles then it started I did a carb sync myself first time and it was a breeze, after reading from the tips here...

That did not correct the problem though and yes the right side was off some not much though..Stealer here want 150.00 do to it and the the carbtune was 100.00, so I said what the heck I'll gamble and glad that I did...

In reality, you need to figure it will take the tech at leas 30 minutes to look up the sync procedure in the factory manual, then he will take an absolute minimum of one hour farting with it because the factory manual is WRONG! So yes, he will charge you 1.5 hours, but probably return it worse than it is now. :shock3:

And yes, a good sync will solve the vast majority os vibration problems on these bikes.

Goose

I also was told that my vibration issues would not likely be solved by a carb sync.

What say yea all?

I had brand new Avons put on a week before a trip to the Black Hills in SD last year. Bike road very smooth for about a month. Then I started to get a shimmy when I stopped. It got worse so I took it back to dealer. He checked out wheel bearings and steering head nut for looseness. Then he took the tire off and checked balance. It was balanced, BUT tire its self was out of round and had a side to side movement. Took tire off put on only thing he had close which was a Dunlop E 3. Shimmy was gone and found out something else. The Dunlop was a 130 wide not a 150 as the RSV came with and I put back on new with the Avon. The handling with the narrower tire was AMAZING!! At slow speed it was MUCH easier to handle.

Avon sent me a new tire, did not cost me anything. But I did purchase the Dunlop and am very happy with it. And shimmy is gone!

May not be your case, but was with mine.

Side note, for me the Dunlop has more "road" noise than the Avon.

Bryan

Here's my experience with Morgan Carb-tune II: Easy to tune the carbs, but difficult to keep that way until I changed fuel filter. In course of my carb tune journey, I actually made things worse for a while when I felt vibration in handlebar and foot rest. At first I thought it was my immagination, but once I changed the filter and did the fine tuning the bike now purrrrrs like a kitten. Definitely, practice makes perfect. And the bike certainly does not run too rich as before. Not too lean either. I think just right. Best advice for the tune procedure is patience, patience and more patience! You won't wear anything out by repeatedly doing this procedure. Also, invest in a high quality screw driver. That way you don't have to press too hard of the adjustment screws, as they are fairly sensitive. And by the way, I would never turn my bike to a shop to give a carb adjustment. There is no way they can devote the time really needed to do a good job.

Hope this info. is of some help.

I had brand new Avons put on a week before a trip to the Black Hills in SD last year. Bike road very smooth for about a month. Then I started to get a shimmy when I stopped. It got worse so I took it back to dealer. He checked out wheel bearings and steering head nut for looseness. Then he took the tire off and checked balance. It was balanced, BUT tire its self was out of round and had a side to side movement. Took tire off put on only thing he had close which was a Dunlop E 3. Shimmy was gone and found out something else. The Dunlop was a 130 wide not a 150 as the RSV came with and I put back on new with the Avon. The handling with the narrower tire was AMAZING!! At slow speed it was MUCH easier to handle.

Avon sent me a new tire, did not cost me anything. But I did purchase the Dunlop and am very happy with it. And shimmy is gone!

May not be your case, but was with mine.

Side note, for me the Dunlop has more "road" noise than the Avon.

Bryan

I just got new rubber front and rear. Yet to put a mile on it.

However just to be clear, I don't get any vibration at speed with clutch in throttle closed.

It's only while revving thru the gears and more revs = more vibration!

Thnx all for the help...

I got 8000 miles on this thing.Should I be looking at a fuel filter yet? Tough to get at?

Guest scarylarry

Really maybe out dealers are kin mine said 1.5 hrs. and they had to remove the tank, I didn't bother to ask him how does it run with the tank off..

I was afraid of him explaining to me about the big hose they had to run and all..

Just got mine done at Kenny's at the February Bogalusa Meet....took all of 10 minutes.

Local Stealer in Lafayette told me 4 hours was needed to do the job!

Boomer....who knows a good manure spreader when he sees one.

There are numerous threads here about all the carb sync tools. You can get really good ones for as little as ~$45.

It's a 15 minute job that involves taking off 4 tiny hose clamps and turning 3 screws. That's all there is to it.

:)

Edited by atlm

Looks like that Carbtune is the way to go. I'd rather do it myself if it's somewhat straight forward!

Does the tank come off?

If you can't find someone close by to do a carb sync for you. I've got a tach (thanks dingy) and carb sticks I could sure help you out when it warms up a little more.

Conrad

If you can't find someone close by to do a carb sync for you. I've got a tach (thanks dingy) and carb sticks I could sure help you out when it warms up a little more.

Conrad

I'd really appreciate that, I always get apprehensive playing around with stuff when I'm not sure what's going on!

Wade