IGNORED

yikes!!!!

oldgoat

i went for a job interview today. for a janitorial position. while there they asked if they could do a back ground check and credit check? i said yep no problem.

well they said they all ready did it from me filling out my aplication 60 days ago. i said ok what did ya find? they said you have a great back ground check for anything criminal. i said thats great . they said now here is some thing that bothers us some?

i went ok here it comes what is it?

they said you have a credit score of the mark of the beast?

i said huh? thye said it comes back 666. which is a D rateing.

needless to say i didnt get this job?

what the heck does a credit score have to do with cleaning a damn office building?:think:

The last national automotive chain that I ran one of their stores TRIED to set policy that when hiring if the applicant had bad credit scores not to hire them. Their reasoning was that the person that has money problems would present a higher risk for theft. The lawyers for the company said that could and would be considered discrimination and was dropped.

A criminal record is one thing but not having good credit should have nothing to do with securing a job IMHO. Similarly, when renting a house or apartment... you pay up front cash and in advance so what does credit rating have to do with it. Stupid rules anhooo!

Sounds like a great Adventure. You have a bad Credit for whatever Reason (in your Case abviously not your Fault to begin with, but it shouldn't Matter at all) and can't get a Job because of that bad Credit. I can't see any proper Solution how you should be able to turn your Credit Score around ? Where's that American Dream getting Millionaire from a Dish Washer ?

Well, I'm not in US, but i sure would have used nice and polite Words asking the Manager how he would proceed to get a "Life" back if he'd be in my Shoes ?

ic23b is absolutely right. I can't stand this BS.

For janitorial positions most companies know that the work will be done during night hours with no supervision. Besides the obvious "items disappearing" factor, they are also concerned about corporate sabatoge, etc. A person with less than stellar credit would be more prone to selling company secrets than someone with good credit and less desparate for money...

Guest seuadr

i have bad credit, it's in the 300's. because i didn't take out any credit. i just paid for things with cash. it's, in my opinion, wrong, and insulting to assume anything about a person based on their credit score. Last time i checked mine, i had a couple outstanding debts from a book club i quit, and repair bill that some appartment complex was charging me(i stupidly didn't take my name off the lease right after i moved out) well, i decided, hey, lets settle those and paid them both off promptly. my score went from 550 to 350. for PAYING my debts :think:

For janitorial positions most companies know that the work will be done during night hours with no supervision. Besides the obvious "items disappearing" factor, they are also concerned about corporate sabatoge, etc. A person with less than stellar credit would be more prone to selling company secrets than someone with good credit and less desparate for money...

I'm sorry, i can see where this might be hold some Truth to it in real Life, but honestly, it's a bad Joke. They're hiring somebody to sweep the Floor and do not want to pay them like the CEO. That's Ok and works for me. Finding a Guy which fits this Bill and has good Credit in these Times of Economy is another Thing in Question. But securing Company Secrets is Necessity, good or bad Credit on any given Employee.

I could easily say, a white Collar Guy which has taken a deep Cut in his Pay Check is much more prone for stealing or selling out Company Knowledge than any House Keeper. Because he usually has (to have) much more Knowledge than this poor Floor sweeping Soul AND he knows potential Customers AND he knows how much the stolen Thing is worth ...

You can look at this in any Way you want, but there's always "a Reason" to turn somebody down. It's just wrong doing it with such a weak Reason.

From a company's perspective the way they a looked at it is "if you can't run your own life what the h--- are you going to do with mine". I was hired by a company that did the credit check back in 1999, after I was hired I ask what is up with the credit check, and was told if you have a good credit rating it shows good character, show up for work everyday, mostly being reliable person. While I was happy it panned out for me I agree with everyone else here, what a bunch of BS. Also it was mentioned about insurance credit checks that is also true much for the same reasons for what I understand. About 4-5 years ago I switched insurance companies an they did the credit check all was good. Couple of months later Iget a letter that my credit may have been compromised since the company that did the insurance credit check had all their info stolen, some of you may remember the scandal about 4-5 years ago where someone breached the security of a major company that does these checks and milions of people were at risk and this was about insurance checking credit WHAT A BUNCH OF BS. You always have to worry about identy theft, I have always felt safe giving info a bank now your giving confidential info to all sorts of Tom, Dick or Harrys again WHAT A BUNCH OF BS. So from now on I think I am going to say you first cause I want to make sure your rating is good enough for me to give you that info.

One of my thoughts for a retirement job for few hrs was Warden and I both at one of the large Motels. We could do it togather and make a few bucks. I have no Idea what my Credit score is. Have never had it checked. I did my dealing with people I had used for years. Was never turned down. Maybe i should check it one of these days.

The Credit Score you indicated is not at all a bad score, it's just not a great score. There is likely some negative reporting (for instance: a 30-day late payment on some account, a collection, possibly medical, that you don't even know about, etc.) on your credit history that puts you in that category. If you don't know what your Report looks like, I encourage you to obtain copies for review.

You should keep in mind that there are different "grades" of credit reports. The free ones you get from the Credit Bureaus do not typically have scores, but you can still see what's right and wrong with the report. Keep in mind here that different credit items might be reported to different bureaus, so you will need to obtain a copy from all three to get the big picture.

A mortgage lender pulls a credit report (a "tri-merged" report, meaning that the information from all three agencies is on a single report) at a different scrutiny level (the highest) than say an auto dealer, so you might also find that your scores vary, depending on who pulled the report.

Here's the info you need:

EFX - Equifax Information Services

P.O.B. 740241

Atlanta GA 30374

800-685-1111

XPN - Experian

P.O.B. 2002

Allen TX 75013

888-397-3742

TUC - Trans Union

P.O.B. 34012

Fullerton CA 92834

800-916-8800

In this recent economic turmoil the perception of scores has changed somewhat. Scores above 660 were once considered very good, now you have to be above 720 to fall into that category.

As a personal courtesy to Forum members, if I can be helpful to anyone regarding this issue you are welcome to send me a PM or call (770-736-8350) and I will do my best to help you sort it out (professionally and confidentially, of course!).

TERRY

In todays upside down economy at a time when major corporations are taking bailouts and filing for bankruptcy, laying off thousands of people who in turn might just lose their credit standing as well as their dignity I cannot see how ones credit rating should affect their ability to get hired to do non sensitive work. I can see checking out the credit rating of someone who handles major cash for a company, but a janitor? No way. Way too many peoples credit rating went downhill as a result of losing their jobs/houses/etc. I guess the next discrimnatory hiring requirement would be to check your grade school report cards and reject you if you ever got a C in home economics class.....

If a person's legitimacy to secure a janitorial position is dependant on their credit score, then how does one explain how all these immigrants working as janitors who haven't been in the country more than a week and can't speak a word of english? While they don't have a BAD credit score... they have NO credit score so how can anyone trust them more than someone with a so-so or bad credit? Sounds like somebody is getting a pay-off...?

I guess the next discrimnatory hiring requirement would be to check your grade school report cards and reject you if you ever got a C in home economics class.....

Uh-oh ... I'm in big kaka then... never took that class :sign20:

If a person's legitimacy to secure a janitorial position is dependant on their credit score, then how does one explain how all these immigrants working as janitors who haven't been in the country more than a week and can't speak a word of english? While they don't have a BAD credit score... they have NO credit score so how can anyone trust them more than someone with a so-so or bad credit? Sounds like somebody is getting a pay-off...?

Good point, and do they even have a green card??

Guest human4m
The Credit Score you indicated is not at all a bad score, it's just not a great score. There is likely some negative reporting (for instance: a 30-day late payment on some account, a collection, possibly medical, that you don't even know about, etc.) on your credit history that puts you in that category. If you don't know what your Report looks like, I encourage you to obtain copies for review.

You should keep in mind that there are different "grades" of credit reports. The free ones you get from the Credit Bureaus do not typically have scores, but you can still see what's right and wrong with the report. Keep in mind here that different credit items might be reported to different bureaus, so you will need to obtain a copy from all three to get the big picture.

A mortgage lender pulls a credit report (a "tri-merged" report, meaning that the information from all three agencies is on a single report) at a different scrutiny level (the highest) than say an auto dealer, so you might also find that your scores vary, depending on who pulled the report.

Here's the info you need:

EFX - Equifax Information Services

P.O.B. 740241

Atlanta GA 30374

800-685-1111

XPN - Experian

P.O.B. 2002

Allen TX 75013

888-397-3742

TUC - Trans Union

P.O.B. 34012

Fullerton CA 92834

800-916-8800

In this recent economic turmoil the perception of scores has changed somewhat. Scores above 660 were once considered very good, now you have to be above 720 to fall into that category.

As a personal courtesy to Forum members, if I can be helpful to anyone regarding this issue you are welcome to send me a PM or call (770-736-8350) and I will do my best to help you sort it out (professionally and confidentially, of course!).

TERRY

Don't forget about www.annualcreditreport.com Also, you can go to www.creditkarma.com and it'll give you a ROUGH idea of what your Beacon score is through TransUnion.

The just checking your score can lower it?

They work on the assumption that if multiple people are checking your score, with or without your knowledge, that you must be needing more credit or are making major changes in your life.

Either way, your score goes down. At the very least it's flagged to watch for activity.

Talk about a catch 22!!!!:bang head:

The just checking your score can lower it?

They work on the assumption that if multiple people are checking your score, with or without your knowledge, that you must be needing more credit or are making major changes in your life.

Either way, your score goes down. At the very least it's flagged to watch for activity.

Talk about a catch 22!!!!:bang head:

Obtaining your own Credit Report directly from any or all of the 3 bureaus will not lower your score. It will get lower (temporarily), however, if you obtain a report from any third-party vendor. Also, you should know that your current creditors will, from time to time, access your credit report; that also will not lower your score. Any search initiated by you to obtain new credit will lower your score. Keep in mind that when you shop for a mortgage or a car loan you are only "hit" once if you do all your looking around within a two-week period.

TERRY

I worked for a place on Long Island the place kinda sucked

After 14 months they decide to do back round checks,credit check and drug test

only made sense we did work in schools in the city

All was good but my credit

When they asked me about my credit

So replied :

Thanks for pointing that out

I notice it going lower since I started working here

Your just paying me enough not to quit

I thinking you guys should give me a raise or I should find a better job

They were not to happy with me after