IGNORED

Avon cracking again!!!!!!!

Leadwolf56

Got the bikes out of storage saturday, great day, sunny and 50s. Brought them home and started checking them over and found CRACKS in the sidewall of my rear tire. :confused24:This is the second time. I had the rear tire replaced last spring for the same problem. Took it down to the dealer and showed them. They took pics, said the Avon rep would be in later this week and they'd get it taken care of. Tire only has 6,400 miles on it. The front one has 10,000 on it and looks great. It's an Avon 130. Looks like it could go another 8000-10000 easy. The tire was made the 5th week of 08.

There was no problem with it last summer or fall, looked good before putting the bikes away. Must be something with the cold? The tires on my wife's bike look just fine too and it was sitting right next to mine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son had the same issue last year on his '82 Silverwing. They said is was due to the tire sitting on cold concrete during the winter. We now place some old carpeting under the tires during the off season.

Avon didn't care much about the mileage that was on the tire. They refused to warrantee the tire based on how long it had been on the bike (18 months).

I wish you luck!!

Dave

Yep, heard about the cold concrete thing last year. Think it's BS as my Dunlop E2s didn't crack from the cold on my 90VR or that the Bridgestones on my wife's bike didn't crack either or my front tire. We'll see, I got their attention last year when the dealer and Avon USA didn't respond, someone in England got a hot email from me, THAT got a response.....I have enough to worry about with the crazy cagers without having to worry about my tires possibly blowing out.

My son had the same issue last year on his '82 Silverwing. They said is was due to the tire sitting on cold concrete during the winter. We now place some old carpeting under the tires during the off season.

Avon didn't care much about the mileage that was on the tire. They refused to warrantee the tire based on how long it had been on the bike (18 months).

I wish you luck!!

Dave

Dave:

Avon carries a 5 year warranty on their tires for sidewall cracking type issues. That is 5 years from the manufacture date on the tire. you can do some searching and see there are several of members here (myself included) that have gotten their replaced courtesy of Avon.

Depending on the severity of the cracking it may not have been anything to worry about - but if you are not comfortable with it, get them replaced and have them cover it. As long as you didn't store the bike by fertilizers (or other chemicals that could potentially weaken the rubber), put tire dressings on them, or leave it out in the sun to bake etc there is no reason that there should be a lot of cracking on the tires.

Here is a link to a thread that has some info and other links in it. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35029 Good luck.

Leadwolf:

I have been watching the rear sidewalls on mine crack just like they did before too. I'm going to let it go a little more then go back. The dealer that has been working with offered (last time) to put a different tire on for me. I said no, and that I would give Avon another try since there are a lot of people that have good luck with them. I am about 3/4 of the way through the life of these puppies, and am not going to pursue a replacement based on the wear but I will be putting a set of E3s on before my next big trip (or when this cracking gets bad enough that I am no longer comfortable riding it).

Good luck to you my friend. Hopefully we can get out of this bad batch of tires sometime :thumbsup2:

Edited by LilBeaver
Added Link

I was just wondering why folks keep buying this brand?

I have read so many post about this cracking on them

over the years. same with Metzlers.. think I am gunna

stick with the M Commanders. Am not wanting to start

a tire war here at all. I think that there are way to many

of that type tire out there for this to be happening so much.

My Avon was a 05 08 as well. If I remember correctly, the tire had less than 1000 miles before it started to crack on the right side only. I also have a center stand and the tire still cracked, so I don't think concrete is the problem.

The dealer replaced it; no questions asked. The replacement has been good so far.

Yep, heard about the cold concrete thing last year. Think it's BS as my Dunlop E2s didn't crack from the cold on my 90VR or that the Bridgestones on my wife's bike didn't crack either or my front tire. We'll see, I got their attention last year when the dealer and Avon USA didn't respond, someone in England got a hot email from me, THAT got a response.....I have enough to worry about with the crazy cagers without having to worry about my tires possibly blowing out.

I agree it's BS!! The Dunlops on Jan's bike and the Metzlers on mine were just fine and were stored side by side.

Dave

I've had issues with Avon in the past, but so far so good on the latest set. As far as cold concrete goes I have both my runners stored out side under all-weather covers on concrete and not getting a thing. The tires are waranteed for 5 years against any manufacturing defects. It also depends on how many 32nds tread is left. If you have one that is cracking but shows tread close to the wear bars they won't do a thing. In my cases they were fairly new when the cracking started. I also have 4 bikes that have been sitting neglicted with Dunlops on them that are older than dirt. No cracking. The only reason I've been sticking with Avons is they handle so well. However that said I've been looking at Mitchellin Comanders lately. It's the one tire that never seems to get any complaints when the subject of tires crops up....

I thank you all for the...warning. I will now really check for this before I start out this season.

I'm adding it to my growing list of things to modify before I really run this bike.

The small patch of tire and the road is the only thing it takes to create a disaster!

My tires are about the major single thing I really give extra special consideration!

The Avons I had on my bike were 05 / 08 as well and they cracked when they were only a couple months old. the dealer replaced them without even consulting the rep. and when I asked if I could substitute EII's for them he just said no problem and did it.

Just my 2 cents There will never be another Avon tire on my ride. My cracked inbetween the tread. Crappy coustomer service. Poor product. I just read about the concreat thing Ive had all kinds of tires on many differint bikes never had to put down carpet for them to sleep on sounds like BS. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Bull463

On the Elite III that I just put on the rear, I had to wait a few days longer to get it because I was told it was in a different warehouse. When I received the tire, it had 0310 in the molded stamp area. If it is a March, 2010 tire, they must have taken it right off the mold and sent it to me. I must have gotten it around the first few days of the month.

RandyA

I had several sets of Avons, no cracking of any kind, but then again I do not let my bike sit around for months neither. Currently have E3 on the bike just because I wanted to see what kind of mileage and handling were like compared to the Avons. So far I am 2000 miles better on the E3 rear tire. The handling about the same.

I have 30000 on the front E3 and at 16000 on the rear. I will be replacing both tires here in another month. Make it a policy of buying a rear tire every year and a front every two years, but then I average around 16000 miles per year too.

I had several sets of Avons, no cracking of any kind, but then again I do not let my bike sit around for months neither.

hey George,

Not that I like to let mine sit but it doesn't do well in a foot or two of snow...:rotf:

The Avons were on it when I bought the bike from Denden. They do handle well but the cracks bother me, although the front one doesn't do that. I'll probably be moving to the E 3s in a little while.

Kevin,

change the *@#$!! tires! You got enough trouble keeping that one upright without having to worry about a blowout! :rotf::rotf::rotf:And then, next winter put the bike on its center stand to keep the tire off of the concrete. Ooops, sorry. I forgot you don't have a center stand...:witch_brew:

See ya soon!!

moose

Kevin,

change the *@#$!! tires! You got enough trouble keeping that one upright without having to worry about a blowout! :rotf::rotf::rotf:And then, next winter put the bike on its center stand to keep the tire off of the concrete. Ooops, sorry. I forgot you don't have a center stand...:witch_brew:

See ya soon!!

moose

Thanks Chuck, that's some great advice, working on it.:moon: By the way I DO have a center stand for it, it's on the rack by my garage door. Do you put your car up on it's center stand away from the cold concrete? Inquiring minds need to know.....:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

See ya,

• 2 weeks later...

Midnite Cherri now has a new Elite 3 on the rear and I now know how to remove the rear wheel and remove and service the rear end. Everything's been lubed up good with moly grease and the rear end fluid changed out. Took her out for a test spin and everything was good. Brakes are next. Thanks to Gator06 for the helping hand.

As for the Avon, there has been no response from Avon USA to me or the dealer.

Avons not on my poop list, have not had any issue with cracking, but then again, when I am putting between 15000 and 17000 miles per year on the bike, I get a new rear tire every year. The only reason I am using E3, is that I am getting about 4000 miles more on the rear tire than Avon (12000), E3 (16000).

I was just wondering why folks keep buying this brand?

I have read so many post about this cracking on them

over the years. same with Metzlers.. think I am gunna

stick with the M Commanders. Am not wanting to start

a tire war here at all. I think that there are way to many

of that type tire out there for this to be happening so much.

if you look waaaay back, i think you will find this same question????

here's how it goes:

guy pays big money for tire..

guy likes tire, feels good in turns/ got cool snakes in pattern

guy is lucky enough and smart enough to inspect tires to save own life

guy pitcha***** to tire store/tire store offer replacement with same

guy thinks whata bargain, i only pay for mount and balance/and maybe life?

guy dumb enough to to risk life with yet another pos tire

guy jumps for joy and tell friends he got new tire free....

guy hopes to live to jump again one day..

whats this guy value more? life or tire price? or what friends think??

yup! i tried them once 2300 miles of slip n slide and a blowout 5 days into my trip with brand new snake skins.. my dealer offered me replacements too.. no f'n thanks!!

as any good dealer would, he offered me another brand, and i took my commanders.

Several sets of tires and more than 100k later... i still like my commanders just fine.

mike.

please take note that "guy" has no name in this story, and does not refer to anyone with the name (Guy)

I just got rid of my last set of Avon Venoms. I didn't even bother to check the build dates. They can't lower the price enough to get me to put on another pair. Even the front had sidewall cracks. My bike is now wearing Dunlop Elite 3s.

When my bike's parked for more than a couple of days it goes onto my CarbonOne stand with legs. No chemicals, no concrete, still too many cracks. I liked the handling, but I'm done.

My sister has a V-Star 650 with Venoms. They're still ok. Of course, it's a much lighter bike. Hers are inflated to around 40psi and sat the winter on concrete. :confused24:

So let me get this straight...

For the last 2 years or so, almost every discussion on this forum regarding tires for our RSV's has been about the Avons - people swear by them, it was almost a religion. :bowdown:

Now Avons are on the DO NOT BUY list.:confused24:

So what are our options? Someone mentioned Michelin? And Dunlop's (I was told DunFLOPS) E3's? What else?

I have Metz's on mine currently - 2 years now and about 5K miles, maybe a tad more, so far so good, I like the ride and handling.

I know that when I first purchased my bike, whatever were the OEM orig on that back in '99 - those were icky. Not impressed with the handling or the mileage wear I did NOT get out of them. :mo money: