IGNORED

I dont often get pissed off But

E-Fishin-C

I dont often Get pissed off Im ready to blow at some one But This Morning and Im still Fuming

Prior to buying the scoot I personally contacted MTO here in Sudbury And They told me That if I bought The Motorcycle I had to trailer here.

for 2 weeks I have been searching a way to get the trailer and scoot down here Its 8 hours from here. I got the scoot and trailer registered in Ontario and Insured

Well I just happened to run in to my retire Police buddy and He tells me this

After buying the car, you will register it in your name in Quebec. You will register it as an "export" sale and get temporary licence plates allowing you to drove the car to Ontario. Because of the export status of the registration, Quebec will not charge provincial tax. Once in Ontario, you must register the car again, to get Ontario plates. This is where you will pay tax: the Ontario 8% sales tax. Note that the car must pass the safety inspection before you can get plates.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Anybody in Ontario Know how I can go around This???

Can't you get temporary Transit pass's up there. Here we just buy Temp 1 or 2 day paper transit pass.

I did this from Calif to Seattle. The Calif pass was good for Calif, and Oregon. but need a second one for Wa.

Re-Check with your motor Vehical department. There must be a way around this.

Just a question -- Why don't you just go to where the bike is at put your new license tag on the bike and ride it home. How will anyone know the bike wasn't already yours and that you were just riding? :confused07: if you have insurence and it is registered..

To me it sounds like someone is just trying to get more money from you!:confused24:

Just a question -- Why don't you just go to where the bike is at put your new license tag on the bike and ride it home. How will anyone know the bike wasn't already yours and that you were just riding? :confused07: if you have insurence and it is registered..

To me it sounds like someone is just trying to get more money from you!:confused24:

Yeah, I don't understand either. If it's got Ontario plates and insurance just bring it home. I'm assuming you already have an Ontario title if you got plates?

How'd you get plates without an inspection?????

The two stories don't seem to me to be inconsistent.

If you're going to ride it home you need to get registration, thus the Quebec export registration.

On the other hand, if you trailer it you wouldn't need a registration and just deal with Ontario when you get it home (at least in a sane world).

The two stories don't seem to me to be inconsistent.

If you're going to ride it home you need to get registration, thus the Quebec export registration.

On the other hand, if you trailer it you wouldn't need a registration and just deal with Ontario when you get it home (at least in a sane world).

I forgot to mention the scoot is Unplated on My registration card

I just took the ownership, safety certificate and proof of insurance to the MTO and they gave me a plate just like buying a car.

I read your post again. Did you buy the bike in Quebec? Is that why you have to do the export thing?

I forgot to mention the scoot is Unplated on My registration card

Gotcha. Here registration card comes with the plate.

If you're talking about the title (official ownership document) Quebec might not issue a plate for an Ontario titled motorcycle. You might be stuck trailering it.

I just took the ownership, safety certificate and proof of insurance to the MTO and they gave me a plate just like buying a car.

I read your post again. Did you buy the bike in Quebec? Is that why you have to do the export thing?

Yes!:thumbsup2:

When ever I sell a vehicle, I make sure before it leaves my possession that the title (ownership papers) are in the new owners name and I have copies of a signed sale agreement. I learnt a lesson the hard way once by selling a car to a fellow I didn't know. It was a cheap car and I just signed the title let him take it. He turned out to be a drunk with no licence and no insurance. A few months later he wrecked the car and totalled someone else's car and guess who the bill collectors came after since the car was still in my name. Lucky for me, I knew a few people who could help me and I did have a signed bill of sale.

In Ontario you can transfer ownership without a safety inspection and it's called an unfit title. You can't drive the vehicle until it's inspected and passes. I don't know if they have something similar in Quebec or not. When I sold a truck (with a safety certificate) to a fellow in Edmonton we went to the MTO office and got the title transfered to him and he got a 10 day temporary licence tag to drive it home. He would be responsible for any inspections and taxes in Alberta. I think the title transfer cost was $10 and the temporary tag was $15. He didn't have to pay any Ontario sales tax since it was leaving the province. I don't know how that works in Quebec but I know guys that have bought vehicles in the states and have had to pay the state sales tax to transfer the title to their name and then they have to pay Ontario sales tax when they register it in Ontario.

Good luck Charlie. I expect you will transfer the title in Quebec to get it into your name. If you want to drive it home you'll have to get a temporary tag. You will probably need a safety inspection there to get the tag. If you trailer it home you won't need to get an inspection there. You might have to pay Quebec sales tax. When you get it home you'll need an Ontario safety inspection before you can register it in Ontario and get plates plus they'll want their 8% tax too.

Out of curiosity, If you bought a brand new bike from a dealer why can't you get a tag and registration in your home province/town on the basis that it is a new vehicle, new is new, can't have anything screwed up there now can you?

I feel for you. I almost did the same thing a few years ago...buy a bike in Quebec. After I researched the transfer process in Quebec I wasn't going to touch it. From what your buddy says, he's right.

What a load of nonsense they put you through; :starz: I think was much easier to buy from the states.

If you want to drive it home you'll have to get a temporary tag. You will probably need a safety inspection there to get the tag. If you trailer it home you won't need to get an inspection there. You might have to pay Quebec sales tax. When you get it home you'll need an Ontario safety inspection before you can register it in Ontario and get plates plus they'll want their 8% tax too.

You can get a temperary tag in Ontario if you have insurance, go to Quebec and ride it home if it was plated when you bought it. THe problem is that you have to get the temp tag within the 6 days from Purchase date now if you did not transfer owner ship you may have had a chance to get a date suitable (not recomended). If you are within 6 days you should still be able to get the temp tag. You can also ask if it is not too many days past and you may get one.

Failing this you will have to trailer it home or get a Quebec Temp tag but think that is harder/more work than Ontario.

Should not be any Quebec sales tax just to trailer it home.

Good Luck

Brad

Charlie check out these links as well as the article below

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/rgoutcan.shtml

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/temp.shtml

For a used vehicle/trailer previously registered in another jurisdiction the following documents are required:

vehicle permit from previous jurisdiction/certificate of title/written confirmation from Registrar of previous jurisdiction

bill of sale if vehicle was purchased outside of Ontario and not transferred to present owner

application for registration — completed and signed

proof of empty weight for commercial vehicles and trailers weighing 900 kilograms or more, if not included on out-of-province proof of ownership.

Safety Standards Certificate (trailers/motor assisted bicycles/off road vehicles/motorized snow vehicles are excluded from this requirement)

Vehicle Import Form (only required if the vehicle is outside Canada)

insurance information if the vehicle is plated, not required for trailers

plate portion of the permit (if registrant attaching currently owned licence plates)

plate portion of the permit (This is only required if the registrant currently has Ontario licence plates.)

payment for retail sales tax (If the registrant is exempt from paying Retail Sales Tax then the appropriate supporting documentation is also required.)

proof of identity for applicant who has never registered a plate or vehicle with the ministry e.g. driver's licence

vehicle emissions inspection may be required if the vehicle is plated. To find out if your vehicle needs to pass an emissions test, call the Drive Clean Call Centre at

Why in the world if Quebec is part of your country would you need an export license?

Because Quebec wants the bread buttered on both sides, they want to take our federal money , but then wants to separate and pretend to be its own country....

Brian