IGNORED

New owner in SC 89 Venture

Hello to all, new owner of a 89 Venture located in Greenville, SC area. Bought the bike so the wife and I can ride 2 up. Also current owner of a 95 Yamaha XV750 Virago. Looking forward to learning all I can from this site. My Venture is a basic rider now, but after this riding season I may really get into it and repair a lot of things that need repairing. Just want to ride now. Took it out yesterday for the first time (on the highway, been riding around the neighborhood to learn the bike). Man these things are quick!!! Any other Venture riders in the Carolina's? Also be patient with me as I learn this site as well. Have a new windshield coming, any tips on replacing? Windshield is coming with a new gasket.

Thanks,

Don

Hey Don,

Welcome to the site! Don't Forget to check out Freebird's Maint. Day, (founder of this site)

It's the "to die for" event of the riding season!

Now, about that windshield,

Looking at the front of your VR, right above the headlight, is a chrome looking piece of plastic that pretty much runs from one side of the fairing to the other. At each end of this piece of plastic there is a Phillips head screw, remove those, then the chrome piece will come off. At the bottom of the old windshield you will see the brackets that hold the windshield on, remove those Phillips head screws and the windshield will basically "fall off!" Whit the windshield of, this is a really good time to clean the top of the "dash board" because the windshield is out of the way. Reverse the procedure to install the new windshield. Be careful not to over tighten the screws.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, and again, welcome to VR.ORG :thumbsup2:

Earl and Jean

Thank you all for the welcome and encouragement. Linda (wife) and I just went on about a 40 mile ride, again, this bike is fast. Very comfortable, wife really enjoyed the ride (except for the 46 temp). Bike runs pretty well, idle is a little high but that is okay. Ran second can of Seafoam to help clean carbs up, a little spit and sputter but not that noticeable once it got running.

I attached a pic of the Venture, hope it comes through.

I will check the event in Georgia, and see if we can schedule it.

Thanks again.

Don

Hey Don,

welcome to the site. Nice ride. I cant add anymore to the winshield install as it seems all has been stated. And as for the ? of members in the carolinas there are a bunch of us.

Just look us up under community,go to the members list and you can select all memebers or by the states individually.

DAvid

Here's the link to the GA meet. Might want to check the meet and eat section and rally section for all the events. Calendar is a good place to, you can go to any month to see what's happening. Oh and I've added the link to Maintenance Day in case you'd like to go. There's always groups heading up so you could hook up with just about anyone. If you decide to go. Don't want to push, but you'd really have a lot of fun.

Oh and welcome to the family.

GA meet

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45645

Maintenance Day

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41934

Margaret

You've got yourself a nice ride! I've ridden all kinds of bikes, one of them being a '94 Virago 750. I got rid of it because it didn't have enough power for me.

I am near completion of a '89 VR restoration...about 98% done (mostly little cosmetic items left). You'll love riding the VR...a whole lot more power than the Viragos!

Hey Sleeperhawk, I think I misread your post, I thought their was a Georgia event.

I went to the calendar but could not find that event.

Can you give me more info?

Thanks,

Don

I hope you can make it to the meet and eat on the 13th of March, Don. It's on the calender, but you have to go to the March page. Or follow Mini's link to the post.

I started this meet 4 years ago and had 22 people on 18 bikes from 7 states show up. It's always a lot of fun and it is a rain or shine event. Even in the rain it's worth the ride. Just ask Sleeperhawk, I think he even ended up with a new bike because of it!

Hello neighbor,

Welcome home, I'm not the most tecnically inclined and there's at least one guy on here who thinks "stubborn", but it's all good. Call if you need anything: 444-5880 (cell).

There is also a maintenance day (MD) in Georgia in April (second weekend) where you might be able to get some stuuf looked at or taken care off. I am hoping to be able to ake that one myself.

Quick note on bike after running seafoam thru it. Get you a cheap set of spark plugs like the Autolites at Advance Auto and change them out. You will have some plastic to take off, but not a hard job. On mine, spark plug changes are easy if you notice my picture in my avatar.

What was wrong with your windshield? I ask because they can be polished up pretty good, so if it not too bad, you may want to keep it. Somebody may be able to use it.

Nice bike and welcome aboard.

RandyA

I think I ONLY called you "stubborn" AFTER the blood was running from your forehead (from banging your head on the garage floor!) Other than that, Barend, you're a Peach!

:rotfl::crackup::rotf::crackup::rotfl::crackup::rotf::crackup::rotfl::crackup::rotf::crackup::rotfl::crackup::rotf:

Earl

Now see :doh:, I didn't want to get into any name calling, and here you go ....:stickpoke::stickpoke: Besides, it was brake fluid :innocent:

I talked to the boss about the Georgia meeting, we are definitely going to see if we can attend. We might be in the cage though, I hope that is okay. There are some items I want to double check on the bike before we travel the 150 miles to Woodstock. If I can get these items checked out, and I if I have the confidence in the bike, we will take the Venture.

Good break in ride, lol.

The windshield is in pretty bad shape, a lot of scratches and swirls. I got one of Ebay, when I replace this one I will donate the old one if someone wants it.

I am on the second can of Seafoam, the previous owner did let the bike sit with some gas in it, so we are doing the "Oh my God I don't want to tear into these carbs" dance with the Seafoam and fresh gas. We will see.

So excited about this bike and even this group. My job has me traveling through GA/SC/NC/VA and eastern TN, would certainly offer to buy a cup of coffee and meet some of these fine folks. I will want to pick your brain about these bikes, though.

What areas of East Tennesee you travel through.

Here in Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) there are several active members.

Most of us (okay Elmicko - time to update) have out contact info in the member profiles.

If traveling through have your people call my people and we'll do lunch!

Steve Neal

Hi barend, is that correct you are in Easley? Not sure if the 89 will fit an 83, but you are welcome to it. I can bring it to you after I change it out. I will be careful taking it out. Getting a little worried though, my replacement has not shown up yet. :think:

It's OK if you show up in a cage. That happens from time to time, besides, we occasionally have Harleys ride with us so you can pick up the spare parts!!! (And wee won't even talk about the 2nd Gens!) :rotfl:

I look forward to meeting you and your wife.